All That Jazz ...

This also might interest you.

I have been listening to it since i bought the record a few days ago. He's growing on me!!

R-11956942-1525451436-9893.jpeg.jpg

As much as I like the horns and jazz music..It's easy to understand guitars and music driven by them. Maybe because you listened to a certain kind of music for 20 to 30 years. This album also as a few reviews will point out is not about a band leader taking charge (not that it's a bad thing). I like the mellow mood and the vibe of this Record.

51ltfC0eB5L._SY400_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a big fan of "King of the Hill" animation. Chuck Mangione keeps on appearing on from time to time. I always thought it was a just a running joke in the series as tom how kitsch his music is perceived to be be, and listened to him just to check. Of course every one has head Feels So Good, San Of Sanches etc., but have to say was pleasantly surprised by the breadth of his music. I am a bit puzzled - why he's not as well known as he should be! is. His music is new-ish jazz, and he was a member of Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers. I later found an old LP from him which needs to be listened from beginning to the end in on go. There is so much kore to this album than just Feels So Good, it only sets the stage for the rest of the album..

R-948203-1182075420.jpeg.jpg

More jazz... Ravi Coltrane Quartet:

Ravi is the son of John Coltrane, one of the most famous jazz saxophonists and composers of all time... and multi-instrumentalist, composer and spiritual leader Alice Coltrane... also known by her adopted Sanskrit name Turiyasangitananda or Turiya Alice Coltrane.

one from Alice Coltrane:

Listening to : "ACOUSTIC PIANO JAZZ - Soft Relaxing Instrumental Music For Smooth Relaxation" sipping cofee.

My 5 year old has nodded off on the sofa :oops:

Julie London was not a jazz artist but her sound fits the Vocal Jazz genre.
Regardless her mezzo voice is a sound that just melts the listener.

Julie London.jpg

Hey amigos, back from Istanbul which had a jazz festival. And some concerts in the park as thus - tight band playing Art Blakey tribute. And there was beer!!

1531322176430.jpeg

Missed Anat Cohen who was playing on the same day that I left. Pity. To keep the Coltrane connection above (guess why), here is her playing “putty boy strut”.

Have been listening to this album for over a week now. iPad (Apple Music )and Marshall Kilburn Bluetooth speakers. That’s how I listen to jazz - repeatedly till the music becomes familiar- burning a groove in my musical memory. I think this Album will be rated very highly in the repertoire of Coltrane albums. There is the sunny Villea , written by a Hungarian composer for an operato and put there in the manner of My Favourite Things but not quite getting there. Various takes of Impressions but the standout song is Slow Blues in whose eleven minutes Coltrane is in his elements- sublime and dirty. The support from the cats from his classic jazz phase - Elvin Jones on drums , Jimi Garrison on bass and McCoy Tyner on piano is top notch. All jazz afficiandoes should listen to this , if not for the music then for the romance of its discovery.

Moktan,

I missed the article for some reason earlier. But thanks for sharing!
Fantastic read and great information on there on this piece.

Regards.

@ Vivek r
Jazz in Constantinople? Lucky sod! :)

Grooving to an evening of CTI here. The usual suspects - Turrentine, Hubbard, Benson, Washington, Farrell, et all.
Hats off to Pete Turner for creating the CTI 'look'. Some samples below:
IMG_6114.jpgIMG_6115.jpg

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back