All That Jazz ...

What is CTI? Just asking as I haven't come across the term before.
Whatever it is ... that is a fantastic lineup of music there!

Regards.

CTI was a record label started by Creed Taylor (Inc) in the late 60s. Smoother, funkier and more mainstream jazz that was targeted at a larger audience. A lot of albums featured a string section or full blown orchestra, to complement the straight jazz groups.
The recordings were engineered by Rudy Van Gelder of Blue Note fame. And the photographer Pete Turner used colors to stunning effect on the album covers. The music is definitely not cerebral, but it'll get your feet moving!
Some of my favourites:
Stanley Turrentine - Sugar
Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay
George Benson - Beyond The Blue Horizon
Grover Washington Jr - Mister Magic
Astrud Gilberto + Stanley Turrentine
Joe Farrell - Outback
Milt Jackson - Sunflower

Perfect for an end of the week session when your brain has shut down :)

This was the Guardian album of the month in June. Reviewed here John Fordham.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ltrane-both-directions-at-once-the-lost-album

While discussing this album on another forum I found out about Geoff Dyer's book.
Just ordered it on Amazon for those who might be interested.

51F1Jy2hDML._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

T
While discussing this album on another forum I found out about Geoff Dyer's book.
Just ordered it on Amazon for those who might be interested.

51F1Jy2hDML._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

We discussed this book in this thread on post #84. It's truly a beautifully written book.

Moanin' Art Blakey

R-4345204-1404548537-2576.jpeg.jpg

Wow! What a great album. Some of the greatest artistes played with Blakey - he nurtured a whole generation of jazz musicians and later even played as a sideman with many of them.
But there's his other side - how he ruined the lives of many a talented artiste. They say he taught his band members how to control an audience, to carry them from climax to climax, leaving them exhausted for more. He also taught them to love heroin. Blakey told them, "I'll have you guys turned on in two weeks." He kept his word.

You have to be a little crazy to be an artist this good...;-)

Wow! What a great album. Some of the greatest artistes played with Blakey - he nurtured a whole generation of jazz musicians and later even played as a sideman with many of them.
But there's his other side - how he ruined the lives of many a talented artiste. They say he taught his band members how to control an audience, to carry them from climax to climax, leaving them exhausted for more. He also taught them to love heroin. Blakey told them, "I'll have you guys turned on in two weeks." He kept his word.

Or high as kites ...

Clifford Brown and Eric Dolphy have shown that you can be clean and yet play great music. Coltrane and Miles continued to play some outstanding stuff after getting off narcs. On the other hand, those who were 'on' peaked during the early stages of their addictions but deteriorated later, e.g. Jaco Pastorius, even Jim Morrison. But I guess these were the ones who went overboard with their intake, while others like Blakey and Miles learned to manage their 'hits'.

Coltrane's most creative output came when he was off alcohol and drugs.
Clifford Brown was another clean act but tragically died too young .
When Parker died the coroner thought he was an old man though he was perhaps in his thirties.
And then there is Bill Evans and his addictions.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back