All That Jazz ...

Recreating the concert feel here. Eddie Lockjaw Davis keeps very close to the blues on a lot of his work and has an impressive and an extensive body of work. Not a big fan of the wah wah mute.

Attachments

• 20201107_210308.jpg
    20201107_210308.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201107_210151.jpg
    20201107_210151.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 3
If you're a Zappa fan - Frank Zappa - Hot Rats (50th anniv. edition). There are some incredible takes in the sessions.

View attachment 51840
Once the Horace Silver quintet disbanded, Blue Mitchell took them along with him and filled in the pianist's spot with a young Chick Corea to put out this wonderful album. I just love Mitchell's soulful trumpet here and his synergy with Junior Cook is electric

Great selection, Jayant!
I feel Blue Mitchell is another one of those overlooked artistes who deserves wider recognition.
Do check out these albums, as well. ‘Down With It’, especially, is (cough) downright funky :)
72A74DBF-4669-47D5-ABAB-EC403981C688.jpeg
5B2F78DA-E9A5-4AF5-9BE2-31D971DD15BB.jpeg

Great selection, Jayant!
I feel Blue Mitchell is another one of those overlooked artistes who deserves wider recognition.
Do check out these albums, as well. ‘Down With It’, especially, is (cough) downright funky :)
View attachment 51854
View attachment 51855
Thanks for the reccos - will listen to both!
Mccoy Tyner is in the same overlooked category for me

Nu Jazz is a potent cocktail of electronica, house, trio hop and samples of classic jazz. I first discovered this sub genre via St Germain’s ‘Tourist’ album: a cult classic that featured Ernest Ranglin’s tasty guitar work along with bits from Marlena Shaw, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, John Lee Hooker and Roland Kirk.

Some of the albums below are a bit hard to find, so do try and check out the individual tracks. Jazz purists may turn their noses up at this music, but their feet will thank them later.

View attachment 51441
View attachment 51442
View attachment 51443
View attachment 51444
St Germain's albums are fun though it can get a little repetitive sometimes. Even his work under the Subsystem and Deepside nom de plume is quite nice.

St Germain's albums are fun though it can get a little repetitive sometimes. Even his work under the Subsystem and Deepside nom de plume is quite nice.
This is exactly why this thread is so great! I did not know Navarre had other projects on the side. Will definitely check them out.
Thanks man :)

So busy at work and addiction to OTT platforms means listening has suffered. And been sitting on these jewels

Paul Desmond with Jim Hall is a fantastic gently swinging album that is so beautiful. Featuring these two greats from years 1959-64. Here is one from th

Had to double back to D since I so wanted to listen to Desmond

Gil Evans - Out of the cool is mind boggling good and great orchestration. Just a bunch of solos all bound together so nicely, it is absolutely a must have for any jazz fan. Or even an audiophile.

Herb Ellis - Ellis in Wonderland Is the jazz guitarist’s little jewel featuring the Oscar Peterson Trio and Charlie Mariano and Guiffre. With a super swing feel, a mix of the old and new

Talking of Charlie Mariano.

In the jazz LP rack in a LA record store I remember looking at the sleeve and bought this as it had a song called Brother Muthiah.

Here is from the B side.

Thought of this as a Deepavali share

Ok so on a roll and here are 3 more from my cupboard

Tommy Flannagan- Confirmation Is a sophisticated album - the word that comes to mind is the college use of “decent”. Got it’s moments, and it is from a pianist who featured in iconic albums including Giant Steps. Not a run out and buy, but I need to listen to this more.

Chico Freeman - Tradition in Transition is immediately more compelling and powerful sounding. Modern even. And has a lovely Jackie-ing followed by originals.

Art Farmer - Blame it on my youth Is a superb album. Flugelhorn - another nice instrument. I like Art Farmer a lot (own many albums, including a lovely ones with Jim Hall and Benny Golson). Here he plays the standard with such a lovely warm sound. Nicely recorded too

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back