All That Jazz ...

IMG_20210208_210551_291.jpg"The square's question about jazz may not be such a bad question if you think about it. I mean the one that goes, "Where's the melody?" or "Why don't they play the melody?" We could borrow the famous mountain climber George Mallory's answer, "Because it's there." But a more helpful one might be, the melody is whatever they are playing, or to put it more directly, they don't play it because they can make up better ones. And if I wanted to introduce the square to that fact, one of the people whose work I could use to show it would be Art Pepper."
Martin Williams.

The sad news about Chick Corea made me pull out this Corea LP after ages.The density and the sophistication of the music rivals most of the rock recordings of the late seventies when this was produced.

About 30 years back I acquired a smuggled VHS copy of this Chick Corea Electric Band performance , in my yearly visits to the Delhi Palika Bazaar then, but surprisingly, this is still a benchmark in fusion concerts.The musicians rock!!.

Last edited:
Have to thank Vivek (@vivek_r) for this album recommendation.

ALLEN%20TOUSSAINT%20The%20Bright%20Mississippi.jpg

Jeremy Pelt’s new album Griot - This Is Important was just released. Has a lot of spoken words (Griot apparently is a African music tradition that involves spoken story telling ).
One of Pelt’s earlier albums is the highly recommended November. Rosalie is beautiful, spacious and airy ballad from November. Pelt is perhaps one of this generation’s best trumpeters and November has nine originals , each one as good as the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brecker Brothers - Live & Unreleased

Inside out - Barry Finnerty sizzles on guitar

Last edited:
Hey I have been not listening to much jazz for ages. A Chennai trip and a resurgence in classical interest meant this just slept.I have even listened to Mahler’s 7th symphony about a dozen times.

And the next three CDs from less know. were finally played this weekend.

Andrew Hill - Point of Departure I bought this album since it was so heavily recommended and it was a completion drive. Hated it on first listens. Now I like it a lot, though there are moments where I wonder why. Also love the sound of the bass clarinet - Dolphy.

Terry Gibbs - Swing is here. No such problems with this vibraphonist’s album. Just great swinging jazz and nice sound too.

Scott Hamilton plays ballads Lastly an even easier reco. Just so smooth and nice. And great Sax playing.

Leroy Vinnegar on Contemporary Records, released 1958. Good example of a tight band playing straight ahead jazz. No extravagant flourishes or fiery solos here, just a beautifully done set where the whole unit shines. IMG_20210329_195657_364.jpg

@Fiftyfifty good to have you reappear :)

@Nikhil, it was Kerry dancers you posted earlier and I have been wanting to get that and now Tony Fruscella, (who I had no idea of) and I am digging the album posted. Thanks.
@vivek_r my entire household has the approval of the catchy take on 'St James infirmary' from that Allen Toussaint album. Thanks.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back