All That Jazz ...

Laconic , lyrical , languid — beautiful understated jazz by veteran practitioners of the craft. One of the best albums I have heard in recent times. Also relevant given the discussions that we have been having ( again) on the peerless Bill Evans Trio.
This trio though , features piano ( Carla Bley) , Bass (Steve Swallow) , sax (Andy Shepard). Perhaps one remembers Carla Bley for her Escalator Over The Hill , a rambunctious melange of jazz , rock, spoken words, even raga.
Are you old enough to remember this tune by the Jewish emigre Walter Kaufman that one hears on the prelude of A.I.R ( think I have given the game away ) ?
@moktan what a beautiful track. still soaking in the beauty. Please post more often.

Sorry, I am taking the conversation away from great piano players for a bit. I am just excited to have this album after a long wait and wanted to share.
Richard Williams - New Horn in Town, 1960 on Candid Records. Nat Hentoff was the artist reportoire man for the label for a while.

Very surprising that this is Williams' only outing as a leader throughout his career. Though he worked with Mingus (amongst others on the great Mingus ah um, what a feather to have in your hat) and various other greats through his career. His tone is crisp, rounded and clear and what an album title to announce your arrival.

Almost equal number of originals and standards on this album. 'I remember Clifford' and 'somewhere over the rainbow', are beautifully covered here and 'Ferris wheel', an original also spoke to me, all very melodically driven. In my opinion, this one is an underrated gem.
IMG_20210423_204017_876.jpgIMG_20210423_204017_896.jpg

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio - Easily one of my favourite jazz bands.
One can easily recommend almost any album by these guys ...

61vBHuvMRsL._SL1000_.jpg

81Zab+0aZxL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited:
Laconic , lyrical , languid — beautiful understated jazz by veteran practitioners of the craft. One of the best albums I have heard in recent times. Also relevant given the discussions that we have been having ( again) on the peerless Bill Evans Trio.
This trio though , features piano ( Carla Bley) , Bass (Steve Swallow) , sax (Andy Shepard). Perhaps one remembers Carla Bley for her Escalator Over The Hill , a rambunctious melange of jazz , rock, spoken words, even raga.
Are you old enough to remember this tune by the Jewish emigre Walter Kaufman that one hears on the prelude of A.I.R ( think I have given the game away ) ?
Brilliant..thanks

If you are interested Chris Connaker had started a thread on AS for buying TBM music.
Not cheap for sure but these are just superb CDs if you can spend the coin.

Thanks. This is a great resource and the Tsuyoshi Yamamoto box sets are a great buy. A couple of the sites here seem to ship to India. I am not sure whether imports from Japan would make it anytime soon in the current situation.

Amongst the best piano trios that ever was! And if one ever thought jazz was about mid range, Scott LaFarro on bass and Paul Motian with his brushes and cymbals will demonstrate the relevance of a system that can reproduce as well as both ends of the frequency spectrum. Bill Evans, of course, was in his prime here at the Village Vanguard. This is 'My Romance' from that date:
wow

lovely !

Been incessantly reading about the Jazz legends, getting introduced to their body of work. What better to see an all star group than on this record, Jazz at the Plaza Vol.1 by Miles Davis Sextet. The line up is phenomenal. I really dig the version of My Funny Valentine that the sextet plays on this occassion.

I am fortunate to own a very clean 1977 US pressing of this album on Columbia. This live set was played in 1958 and recorded in 1973. Six months post this event, the same group recorded Kind of Blue.

From a fidelity standpoint, considering that this record is not considered as audiophile by many, but it sounds really good. The live show vibe is captured realistically (audience claps sound very natural and real). Analog sound out and out. The saxophones and trumpets sound real sweet and warm. Although, the bass has not been recorded to sound that deep (my only gripe with this recording).

Considering that older copies don't go for a lot on Discogs (under $10), I would highly recommend vinyl collectors to add it to their collection. For those who already have it, take it out from the shelf and give it a spin.

Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 7.13.55 PM.pngScreenshot 2021-04-27 at 7.14.14 PM.pngScreenshot 2021-04-27 at 7.14.26 PM.pngScreenshot 2021-04-27 at 7.14.43 PM.png

Loving this new release from Vijay Iyer. While Vijay's virtuoso on the keys cannot be praised enough, it is multi-instrumentalist Tyshawn Sorey on drums who is complete revelation to me. He is dynamic, fleet-fingered, explosive, quicksilver magic all at once.

Screenshot_20210427-223835_TIDAL.jpg

Hassan Ibn Ali’s Metaphysics : The Lost Atlantic Album ,is getting rave reviews…..

Saxophonist Benny Golson commented that Ibn Ali "became very skilled at the modern sounds, and then went right past them into something very esoteric. He went way out there. I guess you could say his brakes didn't work."

Here he is with the Max Roach trio …

Sharing a relatively lesser known to an unknown pianist/organist and his trio, Kit Downes Trio. The album is called Golden. Kit Downes plays/played for ECM. This album was perhaps nominated for the Mercury prize. I scored this CD recently and gave it a spin today. I really found their material a good mix of classic and new age jazz. The songs have a lot of complex passages. The piano work is delicate and reminds me of the classic players and the bass playing is tight.

Overall, I would rate the sound quality of this master as full bodied, comforting and pleasant on the ears. The tonal character has a warm hue without losing details. A good digital recording. Worked well for me even for background listening.

I recommend you guys to give it a try and share your feedback. Cheers. Have a good evening.

Screenshot 2021-04-29 at 7.31.21 PM.png

Loving this new release from Vijay Iyer. While Vijay's virtuoso on the keys cannot be praised enough, it is multi-instrumentalist Tyshawn Sorey on drums who is complete revelation to me. He is dynamic, fleet-fingered, explosive, quicksilver magic all at once.

View attachment 56612

Heard the first few tracks on Apple Music, but it wasn’t the same instant nirvana I experienced with Accelerando or Historicity.
However, being a rabid Vijay Iyer fanboy, I’ll have to sit down soon for a serious listen all the way through. Sometimes, the albums you don’t get straight away are the ones you end up liking most!
Your comments on Tyshawn Sorey are spot on, though. That guy is seriously gifted.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back