Please move base to Mumbai,
Suri, we need this madness of yours puri puri
Mumbai can do with the witches,
we have 'nuff b1tches,
do a demo here,
an exhibition perhaps,
we'll be ready with the power switches!
lol manav.....poetry and all eh?!.

Just imagined Suri riding pillion on a broomstick with the witches - from Kannur to Mumbai:lol:. The catalogue will have a moving picture of Suri explaining the specs and sound signature of the witches...... I could go on. Don't blame me, I am still recovering from the effect of watching "Harry Potter and the Deathly Wallows" last week at the theater. Wifey is a fan of the series, so forced to watch the magical nonsense:mad:.

Hey Suri,

Will you be in town during Dec-24 Dec 29 period ? I am planning to drive down via Kannur on the way to Trivandrum. Maybe stay in some of those really nice locations in Wayanad before proceeding.

Would love to see/hear those witches.

hi square_wave ,

we are here on 24th, 25th and 26th December - leave on 27th to Kochi

perhaps we could celebrate christmas eve - or christmas together?

regds suri

Square wave, coming to Cochin? Would love to meet up!

Suri, do drop by when you come to Cochin. Do let me know, as I will go to Kottayam for Xmas.

Last edited:
Bravo Suri!! This is ....... mind boggling...to say the least:).

Do post the plan and a cross section diagram please. Would like to try and figure out the that the labyrinth that the back wave will take.

aringforthewitchesofecs.jpg

By witchesofsound at 2010-12-14

@santhol2 - the pink color is the air column - note that the conical air-column on the superior aspect of the loudspeaker cone communicates with the air column through an opening - and this opening is one-third the size of the opening into the main air column inferior to the loudspeaker cone-

exciting to think what will happen to a 30 hz compression wave in this system and how it will interact with the cone that produced this wave - will the cone bottom out? - will the cone do a superb balancing act while doing sub-bass frequencies? ( goldyrathore ?)

total length of air column = 11.3 feet

will the cone bottom out? - will the cone do a superb balancing act while doing sub-bass frequencies? ( goldyrathore ?)

Looks like you re offended by my previous views. I am a humble learner, but when I dont agree with certain things, I disagree.

Anyways, I thought this particular reply of yours was (in response) to explain what the workings of your design were.

To find the answer to your counter question, you should ask the designer of the system, not me.

Regards,
Goldy

Last edited:
aringforthewitchesofecs.jpg

By witchesofsound at 2010-12-14

@santhol2 - the pink color is the air column - note that the conical air-column on the superior aspect of the loudspeaker cone communicates with the air column through an opening - and this opening is one-third the size of the opening into the main air column inferior to the loudspeaker cone-

exciting to think what will happen to a 30 hz compression wave in this system and how it will interact with the cone that produced this wave - will the cone bottom out? - will the cone do a superb balancing act while doing sub-bass frequencies? ( goldyrathore ?)

Why do you need this secondary air column joining the back wave?:eek:

Looks like you re offended by my previous views. I am a humble learner, but when I dont agree with certain things, I disagree.

Anyways, I thought this particular reply of yours was (in response) to explain what the workings of your design were.

To find the answer to your counter question, you should ask the designer of the system, not me.

Regards,
Goldy

@goldyrathore -
you seem to be touchy -feely? - as if you expected me to be offended by your views? -

well, no, i was not offended - it is all a part of the learning process - for me as well as for you-

the designer of this system is I (that is me-) - how do i ask myself that? (the answer to my "counter-question) - is there a software designed to simulate a system such as this? - cannot be, because i do not know how to write (software) programs.

i ask you - as an independent observer - will it work? - and what might you say? - "Why do you not stick with documented designs (the parameters of) which can be verified with SoundEasy?"

regds
suri

Last edited:
Would love to listen to the sub and the other witches if I do make it to gods own country :)

Regards,

Sunil

Last edited:
Would love to listen to the sub and the other witches if I do make it to gods own country :)

Regards,

Sunil

(Clandestine fun :) )

you will make it to god's own country - leave it to me - "so help me God"!

In Mumbai they would have tucked up their mundu and ran away!:eek:hyeah:

LOL How true. Every carpenter I have tried lasted exactly one pair of speakers.

in the link below look at "dovetail joints"
What about plywood? ..MDF should not be used in the form of planks and sheets

No Ply, no MDF, what then Solid wood?

For the last pair of speakers I made I used a combination of 6mm marine grade ply outer layer, 2 layers of 4mm MDF, 2 layers of resin bonded fiberglass (about 3mm each), and a layer of 1.5mm of lead sheet. Tota wall thicknessl: 24mm if you include the veneer. The Baffle was 30mm MDF. Since the side walls were curved there was no rear wall.

Yes everyone will tell you that lead sheet will store energy and this energy will eventually get released but lead is also an excellent damping marterial.

it takes a lot of tweaking ... This takes a while too.

Yup tweaking the XO can take som doing. But you still need some software and measuring tools (LEAP/LMS is a good place to start) to get a good starting point.

phew:indifferent14: what a read, amazing work suri :)

I agree this is very nice work.

BTW I was given this link by anilva from another thread. I was looking for speakers and anilva believed I should DIY and sent me this link so I can learn and get inspired.

For the last pair of speakers I made I used a combination of 6mm marine grade ply outer layer, 2 layers of 4mm MDF, 2 layers of resin bonded fiberglass (about 3mm each), and a layer of 1.5mm of lead sheet. Tota wall thicknessl: 24mm if you include the veneer. The Baffle was 30mm MDF. Since the side walls were curved there was no rear wall.

Yes everyone will tell you that lead sheet will store energy and this energy will eventually get released but lead is also an excellent damping marterial.

Wow, sounds wonderful. Could you please share some pics? I've heard and seen usage of bitumen sheets inside the cabinets but lead? News to me!

Last edited:
Navin

Suri's speakers are amazing, I was lucky enough to go to his place and audition them. He used SS Revelators, and had easy access to high class carpentry skills in Kannur where he lives.

I had taken pics but this was in the film camera days. I have not made speakers for about 15 years now. Never needed to.

On another thread we are discussing making some speakers but thes discussions are in a very elemantary stage. See below.
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/22535-old-diyer-needs-help-3-systems-3-rooms-2.html#post316181A

Yeah, saw that thread. The photos can be digitised by scanning them and making jpg files. Hope you do not find it too bothersome; the intention is to learn a thing or two.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back