Allo Boss 2 player vs Arylic s50 pro plus

msankadi

Hi

I am looking to add a streamer to my avr for using spotify/applemusic/tidal/bubbpleupnp streaming

I am an android user. My audio chain currently is using intel nuc --> Avr yamaha htr 3072 --> 5.1 setup normally, use q acoustics 3020i as stereo for music

I have seen universally good reviews for allo boss 2 player and in general good reviews for arylic.

Boss 2 has a pro that different os and plugin make it more customizable. One advantage for arylic is that I can route my ps4 audio through it as well, by using the audio in and then connecting my headphone directly to it which I cant do with boss 2.

Any personal feedback and inputs are welcome. Thanks.

I use Arylic and RPI4 connected to a SMSL DAC. Both are a very competent. I am sure Allo would be as good. Arylic 4stream is very glitchy.

Boss 2 has a pro that different os and plugin make it more customizable. One advantage for arylic is that I can route my ps4 audio through it as well, by using the audio in and then connecting my headphone directly to it which I cant do with boss 2.
What is the cost difference between Boss2 and Arylic?

You already have intel nuc. Just add another disk or add another partition and install ubuntu or debian linux. After that you just have to install 3-4 software to make it a streamer

What is the cost difference between Boss2 and Arylic?

You already have intel nuc. Just add another disk or add another partition and install ubuntu or debian linux. After that you just have to install 3-4 software to make it a streamer
Yes that's a good point. The price diff is roughly 6k with arylic being the more expensive one. I have actually setup the nuc to stream already quite well with spotify and tidal options (jriver). I was thinking the above options will improve the sound significantly, is it going to do that?

Yes that's a good point. The price diff is roughly 6k with arylic being the more expensive one. I have actually setup the nuc to stream already quite well with spotify and tidal options (jriver). I was thinking the above options will improve the sound significantly, is it going to do that?
If you already have streamer working on nuc (I'm assuming you are using the audio out from the nuc motherboard), you can significantly improve the sound by adding a USB dac. Allo Revolution for example will cost just 3k more than Allo Boss2. Also there are dacs with all three USB, Toslink (which will allow PS4 to be connected) and RCA spdif inputs. So if you get such a DAC you can

EDIT:

1. Connect it to your NUC using a USB cable. Play whatever plays on the NUC to your Yamaha AVR
2. Connect PS4 to the DAC using a toslink cable. This will allow you to play PS4 content through your dac to Yamaha. You don't require NUC to be switched on.
3. Connect a CD player with SPDIF output to the DAC. This will allow you to play CD to your yamaha AVR. You don't require NUC to be on

If you already have streamer working on nuc (I'm assuming you are using the audio out from the nuc motherboard), you can significantly improve the sound by adding a USB dac. Allo Revolution for example will cost just 3k more than Allo Boss2. Also there are dacs with all three USB, Toslink (which will allow PS4 to be connected) and RCA spdif inputs. I
Topping E30 or E50 would a good starter DAC with multiple input/output options.
Have heard the E50, it is a wonderful product with ample features.

Cheers,
Raghu

If you already have streamer working on nuc (I'm assuming you are using the audio out from the nuc motherboard), you can significantly improve the sound by adding a USB dac. Allo Revolution for example will cost just 3k more than Allo Boss2. Also there are dacs with all three USB, Toslink (which will allow PS4 to be connected) and RCA spdif inputs. So if you get such a DAC you can

EDIT:

1. Connect it to your NUC using a USB cable. Play whatever plays on the NUC to your Yamaha AVR
2. Connect PS4 to the DAC using a toslink cable. This will allow you to play PS4 content through your dac to Yamaha. You don't require NUC to be switched on.
3. Connect a CD player with SPDIF output to the DAC. This will allow you to play CD to your yamaha AVR. You don't require NUC to be on
I have actually got the nuc connected via HDMI to my avr. My assumption was the DAC on the AVR will be much better compared to NUC

If I add a dac in this chain, do you think I will gain benefits? If yes, would something like a simple ifi or portable one help? Or to go for allo rev?

I have actually got the nuc connected via HDMI to my avr. My assumption was the DAC on the AVR will be much better compared to NUC

If I add a dac in this chain, do you think I will gain benefits? If yes, would something like a simple ifi or portable one help? Or to go for allo rev?
In general, external DACs have better DACs than the DACs inside AVRs and DACs on pc motherboards (Mostly realtek chips)

EDIT: I haven't used ifi products, so can't comment on that. Portable dacs will give you headphone out and is very useful when you want to listen to music lying on the bed before going to sleep. There are good DACs which also have headphone out. So you could do research on those and make a shortlist. Once you shortlist, I'm sure members here will help you to select the good ones. Allo revolution doesn't have headphone amp and limited inputs

Last edited:
Before adding an external DAC, please confirm that the AVR has direct analog processing.
This will be labelled as "source direct" or "direct" or something.

If you want YPAO or any other tone controls, the AVR will most probably do ADC, do some processing and the internal DAC will be in play.
This defeats the purpose of external DAC.

Cheers,
Raghu

This will be labelled as "source direct" or "direct" or something.
yes I have used it before Yamaha avr has "Direct" and "Straight" mode. Direct is the one that disables all audio processing in AVR.

Does a dac provide some amplification as well, asking for the headphone slot when I plug it directly in

yes I have used it before Yamaha avr has "Direct" and "Straight" mode. Direct is the one that disables all audio processing in AVR.

Does a dac provide some amplification as well, asking for the headphone slot when I plug it directly in
Some DACs do have this option. Maybe not the Topping models I suggested earlier, not sure though.
These will be called Desktop DACs. Browse through headphonezone.in and you'll get a shortlist
Cheers,
Raghu

Some DACs do have this option. Maybe not the Topping models I suggested earlier, not sure though.
These will be called Desktop DACs. Browse through headphonezone.in and you'll get a shortlist
Cheers,
Raghu
Yes I am looking at options, looks like ifi audio zen dac v2 ticks couple of additional boxes : No additional spend reqd as compared to toping e30+l30 --> can directly use the headphone jack, + mqa is an added bonus though not too keen about it but I already have tidal subscription so why not!

DACs can burn a hole in your pocket and your thigh/butt too :D

But I feel the Topping/SMSL/iFi products are well featured for the price.
Cheers,
Raghu

+1 for the E50. Bit perfect playback from my iPad with E50 USB sounds quite nice. At this price range the only other competitor is the ifi Zen DAC.

Hi

I am looking to add a streamer to my avr for using spotify/applemusic/tidal/bubbpleupnp streaming

I am an android user. My audio chain currently is using intel nuc --> Avr yamaha htr 3072 --> 5.1 setup normally, use q acoustics 3020i as stereo for music

I have seen universally good reviews for allo boss 2 player and in general good reviews for arylic.

Any personal feedback and inputs are welcome. Thanks.
Based on your chain and from some personal experience I'd suggest go for the Boss 2 - it is fabulous vfm and is such a neat package as streamer+dac. With a good psu you should achieve excellent results. For optical you may even try something as humble as the Fiio D03K - just suggesting try cheaper alternates before going big especially with a relatively entry level (but highly regarded) speaker like the 3020i

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back