Allo Sparky - Piano 2.1

Sparky>>>Kali>>>>Piano2.1 >to the tube Preamp >>>AMP

Power supply is to the Kali

Answer to the question is yes there is an improvement in the sound , i have ordered for GE tubes lets see if those make any more difference to the sound.

That's very good !! :clapping: Please let us know what improvement you got after putting in the GE tubes.

Did you get the GE tubes?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

yes yes sorry did not update. the ge tubes after running them for 20 odd hours sound much better, the bass sounds more pronounced and the highs sharper.

Do note that i have tried this on the PI and allo boss combo,

the Sparky dual mono audio was no available until a week back

compared to the boss pi setup i prefer the sound of the Kali>>Piano 2.1 dual mono.

i will try the dual mono with the tubes and see if any more improvement in sound.

Have you tried putting your music on USB 3.0 pendrives?
(The usb port is 2.0)

The faster the stick gives data, the better will be the conversion to sound wave. If you use a 3.0 you can be sure that the port is not restricted bcos of the pen drive.

How and why will the conversion be better? BTW, what "sound wave"?
The reason is, that the output waveform is being constructed in real time. If the stick does not give data for a small period, the DAC has to "estimate" the waveform, which leads to loss of quality.

In the case of higher resolution files like wav etc where size per second is higher, this problem gets aggravated.

If only the raspberry pi had a pool of faster memory where it could temporarily store the samples before sending them to the DAC, to buffer it, so to speak

Last edited:
If only the raspberry pi had a pool of faster memory where it could temporarily store the samples before sending them to the DAC, to buffer it, so to speak
Yes, that would be great. I dont know if its there or not, to accomodate the latency of pen drive hardware. Perhaps a better thing is to use USB 3.0 pendrives, just to be sure.

We are doing all this for quality of music, arent we?

Have you tried putting your music on USB 3.0 pendrives?
(The usb port is 2.0)
If the USB port is 2.0 aren't you still restricted to USB 2.0 speeds irrespective of the downstream device speed? What would be the benefit in using a USB3 device here?

If the USB port is 2.0 aren't you still restricted to USB 2.0 speeds irrespective of the downstream device speed? What would be the benefit in using a USB3 device here?
Your USB 2 pendrive may be slower than pi's USB 2 port :)

Your USB 2 pendrive may be slower than pi's USB 2 port :)

Really did not understand this ?

What Keith is pointing out is absolutely true , but your answer confuses me a lot
Makes me feel I have got the basics of computers wrong

Have patience, folks. Its not the case. Just hear me out before you jump to conclusions.

My experience is that there is a gap between stated and actual performance, especially of pen drives.

So, if I put a "USB 2" pendrive in a "USB 2" jack, it is possible that the pendrive may not actually give you 2.0 speed. Assuming that the 2.0 on RPi runs at 2.0 speed.

Now, in order to be sure that pendrive does not place a bottleneck, i advocate use of a USB 3 instead of USB 2. It is overkill, no doubt, but it does rule out the possibility of pendrive constraints.

Have patience, folks. Its not the case. Just hear me out before you jump to conclusions.

My experience is that there is a gap between stated and actual performance, especially of pen drives.

So, if I put a "USB 2" pendrive in a "USB 2" jack, it is possible that the pendrive may not actually give you 2.0 speed. Assuming that the 2.0 on RPi runs at 2.0 speed.

Now, in order to be sure that pendrive does not place a bottleneck, i advocate use of a USB 3 instead of USB 2. It is overkill, no doubt, but it does rule out the possibility of pendrive constraints.

If the bus controlling the usb is only capable for usb 2 speeds or less no matter if you use a usb 3 drive , it will not give you more speeds then a usb 2 drive

The bus is the bottleneck in this case , not the drive

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back