Altec 515B restoration.

Hi Vivek,

This is really nice to see some neat work.
Do you also restore the magnet side ?

Thanks for sharing.

Aditya

P.S. - Pls PM me your contact info.

Hi Vivek,
This is really nice to see some neat work.
Do you also restore the magnet side ?
Thanks for sharing.
Aditya
P.S. - Pls PM me your contact info.

Hi Aditya,
Yes, I fix most of the pole piece de-centering. But not for 416A, since it is an electric welded assembly.
Vivek

Coincidentally, my uncle who loves to take on such challenges, was centering the pole piece of a 416 woofer yesterday.

IMG-20151220-WA0005_zpsw3kzy4h8.jpg

Vivek sir, amazing job. They look awesome. I'm sure they sound awesome too. i wanted to get a pair of philips drivers reconed, realigned and magnetised. Wondering if I could ask for your advise. Do you have a way to measure the t s parameters once redone?

Vivek sir, amazing job. They look awesome. I'm sure they sound awesome too. i wanted to get a pair of philips drivers reconed, realigned and magnetised. Wondering if I could ask for your advise. Do you have a way to measure the t s parameters once redone?

Which model Philips drivers ?????

Driver model us ad5200m. The frame was slightly bent which.I got fixed from a local shop but I think it can be improved much more

Driver model us ad5200m. The frame was slightly bent which.I got fixed from a local shop but I think it can be improved much more

Getting the same cone is out of the question. A different cone maybe Eminence or Celestion
might fit that frame. Rebuilding is possible with mix and match of different component in close line to the original.

Aah OK. I think frame just needs to be beaten into shape rather than rebuilt but I'd defer to your expertise on that. One of the drivers buzzes a bit at low frequency so not sure if it is a misaligned polepiece or something else. Also, and I'm not sure of this, there might be a need for remagnetization since the drivers hardly match up to their legendary sensitivity. I am currently in Pune but do intend to visit Mumbai next month.

Aah OK. I think frame just needs to be beaten into shape rather than rebuilt but I'd defer to your expertise on that. One of the drivers buzzes a bit at low frequency so not sure if it is a misaligned polepiece or something else. Also, and I'm not sure of this, there might be a need for remagnetization since the drivers hardly match up to their legendary sensitivity. I am currently in Pune but do intend to visit Mumbai next month.

I think you need the frame back in shape rather than reconing. Why don't you try some automotive reconditioning body shop, maybe they can help you out of the situation.

Automotive body shop? Vivek sir, was that sarcasm? Really didn't mean to question your expertise in this matter in any way by mentioning the frame shape issue. In fact I was looking for your advice and help on this matter since I know very little about drivers and the art and science associated with their restoration. Honest apologies if I have said something offensive.

Automotive body shop? Vivek sir, was that sarcasm? Really didn't mean to question your expertise in this matter in any way by mentioning the frame shape issue. In fact I was looking for your advice and help on this matter since I know very little about drivers and the art and science associated with their restoration. Honest apologies if I have said something offensive.

I am serious..... they can bring back your frame to it's original shape. They do it with great precision. They have all the tools and arrangements to do the job. They use wooden & nylon mallet's and various type of jig's and support. I had quite often used their services to bring back many deformed stamped steel chassis back to shape.
You just need to tell them to be careful and not to hurt the cone assembly and be careful not to put any stress on the magnet assembly. :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back