Altec 904-8A

However in this hobby no ending.. I am in the third innings.... day before yesterday Jamo / Yesterday Thiel / today altec/ tomorrow:rolleyes:

I think he means more like: sine everyone's getting a pair, so should I even if I get it in junk condition and don't know what I am doing with them...

Must compare notes! The Altec set up would be my 8th change in 6 years!

Jamo/wharfadale/Montor Audio RX8/Morel bs/ Thiel CS 2.4/ B&W 801 S 3/ Resurrection/Altec 604 8g!

However in this hobby no ending.. I am in the third innings.... day before yesterday Jamo / Yesterday Thiel / today altec/ tomorrow:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Surely less list than Malvai;) But malvai has previously owned high end one's and wonder it has not given the required satisfaction which Altec gives..:)

Must compare notes! The Altec set up would be my 8th change in 6 years!

Jamo/wharfadale/Montor Audio RX8/Morel bs/ Thiel CS 2.4/ B&W 801 S 3/ Resurrection/Altec 604 8g!

That's very long list! :)

The altec, even with improper implementation sounds 'sweet'. But when you hear it properly implemented with modern tech, I am sure the sound can convert even staunch non-believers like manojp. I know I was In that camp not too long ago!

The altec, even with improper implementation sounds 'sweet'. But when you hear it properly implemented with modern tech, I am sure the sound can convert even staunch non-believers like manojp. I know I was In that camp not too long ago!

Manav,

perfectly said. Your implementation is nothing like vintage implementation, except the drivers. Its TL speakers, active crossover, digital amps with all the tweaks needed to take care of the deficiencies. What you hear most can also be attributed to the modern implementation.

But many people go with vintage route with same designs and may never overcome shortcomings. That type of sound is just not for me.

Hi,

Having said that, If I were to have hint of vintage sound but with better quality overall, I would go for JBL 4311 studio monitor series. Consumer versions are JBL Century L100. These use the modern (well, more modern than vintage altecs) drivers and have titanium tweeters. Those go high and do not sound honky.

I don't see mention of titanium tweeters in the JBL literature for the Century L100 or the 4311.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4311.pdf

L100/4310

What version of these speakers did you listen to?

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

I don't see mention of titanium tweeters in the JBL literature for the Century L100 or the 4311.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4311.pdf

L100/4310

What version of these speakers did you listen to?

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv,

You could be very well right, I listened to 4312A and 4410A. Both have titanium tweeters, and I assumed entire 43xx series had titanium tweeters.

Although, I have seen lot of sellers advertizing 4311's with titanium tweeters. May be they had it upgraded after market. So I assumed those came with it.

I heard two Altec systems, both had AlNico drivers. One was VOTT and another was Model 15 with compression driver upgraded to that of Model 19. These systems are owned by an ex employee of Altec.

Both Altec Model 15 and Model 19 used the same compression driver the 802-8G (Alnico driver). While the Model 19 used the 416-8B for LF, the Model 15 actually used Altec branded RCA made 12" drivers with rubber surround. The model 14 came with ceramic drivers and would have required an upgrade.

There were quite a few VOTT models as well A5, A7, etc. And these came with their own mix of drivers Alnico and Ceramic.

The JBL L100, the consumer version of JBL's 4310/4311 pro monitors, used a 12-inch woofer, 5-inch midrange and 1.4-inch paper cone tweeter (not dome, not metal, not titanium). All three used large Alnico magnets. While the midrange and tweeter were connected through a very simple crossover network (not active, no equalization) the woofer was connected direct to the amp. There have been many greats who have said that the L100 epitomized the 1970s west coast sound. Where is the new age/modern technology in this? This is modern built, still old tech.

Rajiv,
You could be very well right, I listened to 4312A and 4410A.

These two speakers itself would have sounded totally different between them.

The 4312 series were what JBL called control monitors. The 4412/As were studio monitors. The 4412/As were designed with a flatter response curve (not fully flat) to sound more accurate. The 4312 was designed to have a more forward midrange and a rise around 40Hz. JBL always claimed that the 4312 was designed to mimic the industry benchmark Altec 604 monitor.

They were trying to mimic, older tech with newer tech. :D

These two speakers itself would have sounded totally different between them.

The 4312 series were what JBL called control monitors. The 4412/As were studio monitors. The 4412/As were designed with a flatter response curve (not fully flat) to sound more accurate. The 4312 was designed to have a more forward midrange and a rise around 40Hz. JBL always claimed that the 4312 was designed to mimic the industry benchmark Altec 604 monitor.

They were trying to mimic, older tech with newer tech. :D

Yes, you are very right. These two series sounded quite different. When I listened to these two, I could do direct comparison. The midrange was heavier on 4312 and at that time, I thought those were because of bigger woofer. Upon researching, I realized that mid range boost was to mimic the vintage sound.

After the direct comparison, I went with 4410a series due to its neutrality/flatness. Also because the 4312 had the horizontal layout with woofer on the side which I didn't like.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back