Amazon.com vs. Amazon.co.uk

@ manniraj: Since you are located in Bangalore, may be you can answer this: How's is your experience of customs duty on Blu-rays from UK? Have you been charged so far? My package cost comes around 80 GBP. Should I split into to two to avoid customs duty?

I purchased bluray disks from Amazon UK couple of times but luckily the customs was not charged. Some of the FMs in Bangalore got charged, so its purely based on luck :)

Ordered 22 Bond movies Collection + Back to the Future Trilogy from Amazon UK yesterday. Total cost 77 GBP. Used the GBP payment option. It was a wiser decision. Saved 400 Rs/- when compared to choosing INR payment.

A bit surprised and worried that Amazon UK site does not ask for CVV and 3D secure pin for the payment. It directly proceeded with the payment after entering the CC number which makes me wonder how safe it is to use CCs in their website! No security at all!

A total of 25 BDs at the cost of 299 Rs per BD. It is damn cheap. Now keeping my fingers crossed on 0% customs duty.

Thanks for the tip guys. Will keep you posted regarding the customs duty.

oops.. i did the same thing and it confirmed my order. not even asked for any cvv/pin number. 22.75 for harry potter complete 8 film (region free) collection. Is it a good buy or shall i cancel the order. please confirm. Still not received any SMS notification from my Credit card as well...

oops.. i did the same thing and it confirmed my order. not even asked for any cvv/pin number. 22.75 for harry potter complete 8 film (region free) collection. Is it a good buy or shall i cancel the order. please confirm. Still not received any SMS notification from my Credit card as well...

The 2 factor authentication is only relevant (regulated by RBI) in India. Foreign merchant sites do not need to have this security feature. Hence the reasoning behind the bank's in India introduced the functionality of setting an international limit on your CC. This way you can allow a maximum limit per transaction/day and reduce the risk. Also all the Indian CC banks now provide a feature of whether to allow international transactions on the CC. Simple and effective way of preventing the fraud on foreign transactions. Please take this option seriously as I do enable this feature whenever I want to purchase and on successful ordering I again disable the international transaction feature.

Thanks. I was not aware of this. Is the price I paid justified ...? I am awaiting bank transaction SMS to know exactly how much the took

My transaction went through within an hour I bought the BDs. Today they have dispatched the blu-rays have been dispatched.
Now I should disable international transactions.

Not sure. It's the total the credit card have charged me for 22.75 pound that showed on amazon. UK. Initially it showed around around 150-200 rupees more in Indian currency. Later I disabled the conversion

Then I think the currency conversion charges might show up on your CC statement in couple of days time.

Ordered 22 Bond movies Collection + Back to the Future Trilogy from Amazon UK yesterday. Total cost 77 GBP. Used the GBP payment option. It was a wiser decision. Saved 400 Rs/- when compared to choosing INR payment.

A bit surprised and worried that Amazon UK site does not ask for CVV and 3D secure pin for the payment. It directly proceeded with the payment after entering the CC number which makes me wonder how safe it is to use CCs in their website! No security at all!

A total of 25 BDs at the cost of 299 Rs per BD. It is damn cheap. Now keeping my fingers crossed on 0% customs duty.

Thanks for the tip guys. Will keep you posted regarding the customs duty.

Transaction is now been reflected in my CC statement today. HDFC has additionally charged 2% conversion fee + service tax and edu cess over the transaction. So the difference has come down to ~ 230 Rs/- (instead of 400 Rs/- as mentioned earlier). Still a better deal than choosing Amazon INR option.

I made another transaction today and by mistake didn't change the INR option. So ended up paying in INR only though I could see there was overall Rs.200 difference between the conversion rate and actual rate. But I am now scared to cancel the order with the risk of money coming back to my Credit card. Decided to stay with it instead of taking the risk of cancelling the order to save INR 200.

I made another transaction today and by mistake didn't change the INR option. So ended up paying in INR only though I could see there was overall Rs.200 difference between the conversion rate and actual rate. But I am now scared to cancel the order with the risk of money coming back to my Credit card. Decided to stay with it instead of taking the risk of cancelling the order to save INR 200.

Have you ever been levied with customs duty for all your purchases? Or this is is your first purchase?

good question. This is my second purchase in the gap of 3 days. yet to get the first one as it was ordered just 3 days back. I would not think to buy again for some time. keeping my fingers crossed to see the experience I get from these two purchases first.

Received my order today..within 6 days of ordering :) It was a total surprise.

And was not charged a single penny as Customs duty! :yahoo:

Here are the calculations:
1. Price shown in amazon.uk minus 16.67 % VAT
2. Convert to INR by the Credit Card
3. Add conversion markup fee (2% in my CC) plus 12.36% (of conversion fee) Service Tax and edu cess
4. Add customs duty (0 in my case)
Result: A very happy me! :):licklips::cool:

Received my order today..within 6 days of ordering :) It was a total surprise.

And was not charged a single penny as Customs duty! :yahoo:

Here are the calculations:
1. Price shown in amazon.uk minus 16.67 % VAT
2. Convert to INR by the Credit Card
3. Add conversion markup fee (2% in my CC) plus 12.36% (of conversion fee) Service Tax and edu cess
4. Add customs duty (0 in my case)
Result: A very happy me! :):licklips::cool:

Have never been charged customs for parcels from UK and they all arrive within 8 days. US is a another story altogether:mad:

Is everyone ordering only the region free blu ray discs from UK and US?
I have a PS3 and a PS4 both bought from India so that means they can only play the Region C and Region Free ones, right?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back