Amazon.com vs. Amazon.co.uk

For using Ultraviolet and/or digital copy code, you must create an account from UK (or USA) - from where you purchased the disc. You will need a valid country of origin address. For digital copies, I created a US account using my friend's address. Haven't tried the same with ultraviolet as yet. Anyway the stuff is useless because nowadays you have to download the movie and it is boring to do that.

today is my expected delivery date of BD's that i have ordered on amazon.co.uk. Not yet received and I doubt i will get it today :)

Sent mail /chat with amazon.co.uk. They were friendly and requested me to wait till today's business day. Post which I should check with them again for solution.

Let's see, keeping fingers crosses as this is my first order in amazon.co. uk....

edited copy of amazon.co.uk response for my query:

Your parcel was sent by an untrackable method and is still in transit with Royal Mail so we cant confirm its exact location. Its been our experience that the majority of late parcels arrive shortly after the estimated delivery date.

In the unlikely event that you haven't received it by 30 December 2014, please let us know by replying to this e-mail and we'll assist you further. We ask you to wait until then because this order may reach you before a replacement order would. Creating a replacement order at this stage may result in you having to return one of the items.

If your order arrives in the meantime, you don't need to contact us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

What's the size of such movie downloads? It comes in Full HD video and audio?

I do not know about Ultraviolet - so I cannot comment but I guess that it is more or less similar to Digital Copy which I have tried and tested.

1. There are two types of digital copies (DC) - one that is included in the package and other one that just mentions the code in the package and has to be downloaded.

2. The DC that is included in package is SD (480p) version and the size is about 1.5 to 1.7 GB. The one which has to be downloaded comes with 3 options - SD (480p), HD (720p) or FHD (1080p). The size varies for each. The HD is about 3.5 GB while FHD is about 7-8 GB.

3. Audio is 2-channel stereo. Remember that DCs are meant to be played back on PC or mobile device and hence there is no need for DD, DD+, DTS, etc.

4. Downloading via iTunes is pathetic. I tried with my 3G (7.2 mbps) connection and yet to download a 3.5 GB movie, it took 10+ hours to download. I would hope this is not the case with Ultraviolet.

In my opinion, DC (and UV) are just gimmicks or something 'nice' but serve no real purpose. If you happen to be a traveler, you can transfer these to your mobile devices (like iPad) or laptops and watch them. I got bored soon enough.

Then there are too many hassles. For DC, you need to have an iTunes account. For UV, you need to have an UV + Flixster account. Then for each country of origin, you need to have a separate account. While creating the account, the servers check your ip address and refuse access if creating from India. Or you need to have an address in that country - your own or some friend's. IT'S ALL JUNK and not worth anything really.

edited copy of amazon.co.uk response for my query:

Your parcel was sent by an untrackable method and is still in transit with Royal Mail so we cant confirm its exact location. Its been our experience that the majority of late parcels arrive shortly after the estimated delivery date.

In the unlikely event that you haven't received it by 30 December 2014, please let us know by replying to this e-mail and we'll assist you further. We ask you to wait until then because this order may reach you before a replacement order would. Creating a replacement order at this stage may result in you having to return one of the items.

If your order arrives in the meantime, you don't need to contact us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

This means that your parcel was sent by Royal Mail. Delay means that parcel is stuck in regional FPO to assess for customs duty. There is an outside chance that you may never receive the parcel.

My experience with amazon.co.uk is as follows:

1. Some parcels were received within 3 weeks. These were more often than not, not charged with customs duty. I used to receive duty free items earlier - 3 years ago or more. Not anymore.

2. When the parcel is delayed beyond 3 weeks, I am almost always certain of being charged duty which was anything from40-44%.

3. On three occasions, my parcel was lost and I reported back. Amazon sent me replacements. Two times, I received duplicates - the original parcel and the replacement. The other time, I received the replacement only.

4. I wrote back to Amazon.co.uk regarding duplicate delivery. They told me to keep the duplicate as a compliment as the cost of shipping it back would be too expensive. They suggested selling the same and donating the proceeds to charity.

I suggested to Amazon to change the delivery method by international couriers; they said that they will pass on the feedback to their shipping team but nothing happened.

Due to the question marks on delivery (mostly resulting from Indian Post Office) and the suspense + high customs duty, I have more or less stopped buying from Amazon.co.uk.

Thanks for the update.

let me wait till 30th and then report to Amazon. In case I don't receive, shall I ask them for refund or ask them again to post it and try my luck again with customs?

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

let me wait till 30th and then report to Amazon. In case I don't receive, shall I ask them for refund or ask them again to post it and try my luck again with customs?
That is totally up to you. Maybe refund will be a better option.

Thanks for the update.

Parcels and mail in general take a lot longer during December because of the holiday season. There will be a huge backlog at customs too. Your parcel is probably in queue and will take some more time. I generally avoid ordering at this time.

Since I have not received my shipment even after one week of the scheduled due date, I requested amazon.co.uk to initiate for refund, which they have done. Hopefully the money should be back credited to my CC in a day or two.

wondering where my packet went. If the local postman delivery these packets, I have never seen anyone visiting my office address. Even if they do, i wonder if they would call up like courier guys!

You will get your refund, don't worry about that. Same thing happened with me twice from Amazon, UK; the difference was that I got replacement packs. The replacement was sent and the customs valuation mentioned was full price and not the order price. Hence I had to pay atrocious duty though I didn't have to pay Amazon. The duty paid was as much as the original price paid to Amazon.

After that I stopped ordering from Amazon, UK and switched to Amazon.com.

I read few other posting on this group and tried my luck with amazon.co.uk (first purchase). In a way, its good i am getting refund from them. Let me see my luck if i get my BD's after i get the refund. In that case, even if I have to pay the duty, atleast something is back in my kitty. (greedy!)

If i am tempted again, will try my luck with amazon.com in future.

I read few other posting on this group and tried my luck with amazon.co.uk (first purchase). In a way, its good i am getting refund from them. Let me see my luck if i get my BD's after i get the refund. In that case, even if I have to pay the duty, atleast something is back in my kitty. (greedy!)

If i am tempted again, will try my luck with amazon.com in future.
Problem with Amazon.com is that their shipping rates are little higher and there is no VAT refund. Duty deposit is always charged at 31% and I have always got 15% refund (without asking). Some months ago, Amazon.com used to send with free shipping to India when base order value was $125 or higher. That used to make the deal really sweet.

Always check where it is cheaper. I have made an excel sheet to compare prices.

after reading this thread i also bought 3 bluray box sets in 3 different order during 19-23 December(boxing day deal). and 1st order i received on 29 December through a postman as a regular dak (post) without any receipt/acknowledgement and of course without duty :). I am waiting for another two parcels also expecting without duty :). Hoever as said by Hon. member just4kix, amazon.com is always best . I received my benq pj in 5days with proper tracking that too without shipping charges.

uttam

Last edited:
Well I got the Blu Ray I ordered at amazon.co.uk without any duty pay. It was lying in the post office and I got to know that my office doesn't pick up personal packets from post office. Anyways, talked to people internally and got delivered yesterday. :)

Summary of My Experience @ amazon.uk

Order HP series @ 1800 on 2 Dec 2014
Order Lost, Informed, Sent Again by DHL on GlobalPrority on 2nd Jan 15
DHL asked KYC Docs on 3 Jan
KYC Docs Sent on 5 Jan
DHL guy came with Parcel today 8 Jan
And asked 1516 as custom duty

Denied, infomed Amazon, got refund Processed within 2 hours

The experiences written down here purely suggests it's all depend upon your luck whether you are asked to pay duty or not...

after reading this thread i also bought 3 bluray box sets in 3 different order during 19-23 December(boxing day deal). and 1st order i received on 29 December through a postman as a regular dak (post) without any receipt/acknowledgement and of course without duty :). I am waiting for another two parcels also expecting without duty :). Hoever as said by Hon. member just4kix, amazon.com is always best . I received my benq pj in 5days with proper tracking that too without shipping charges.

uttam
Hi When did u receive ur Benq pj that also without shipping charges? As of now "With FREE AmazonGlobal Saver Shipping, you receive free shipping to Mexico and Singapore if your order includes at least $125 of qualifying merchandise".
Regards

Hi When did u receive ur Benq pj that also without shipping charges? As of now "With FREE AmazonGlobal Saver Shipping, you receive free shipping to Mexico and Singapore if your order includes at least $125 of qualifying merchandise".
Regards

I bought Pj in Jan 2014 when there was free shippng to India for the purchase more than $125. The scheme is now withdrawn by Amazon and limited to mexico and singapore

Uttam

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back