Amazon Fire Tv 4k from 2019 vs Latest Fire Tv 4K Max - Whats the difference?

sunster

Amazon Fire Tv 4k from 2019 vs Latest Fire Tv 4K Max - Whats the difference Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision wise- both do it right ? Or does the latest Fire TV4K max have anything additional ?

Amazon Fire Tv 4k from 2019 vs Latest Fire Tv 4K Max - Whats the difference Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision wise- both do it right ? Or does the latest Fire TV4K max have anything additional ?
Good question. Dolby vision is a HDR standard and Atmos a sound standard. Atmos needs many things in alignment to perfectly work. The Tv must support it or the firestick for that matter and the ARC connected amp (avr) must have Atmos capability and speakers in a good position to experience the complete package. Height/ceiling speakers needs to sync and many inspite of properly setting the speakers do not get Atmos effect. It is not going to simply work if the firestick has it. Vision will work with a compatible display itself. Atmos needs its proper chain and gear to work.

Fire TV Stick 4K Max has better CPU and 500 MB more RAM, so it should be considerably faster compared to Fire TV Stick 4K.

Moreover Max supports AV1 codec which is already being provided by Netflix and YouTube. AV1 offers better compression without losing picture quality compared to codecs like H.264, H.265 or VP9.

Detailed breakdown of the differences between the two here: https://www.aftvnews.com/comparison...ew-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-plus-why-they-matter/

Differences between the 2018 and newer remote: https://www.aftvnews.com/new-alexa-...tv-released-with-added-guide-and-app-buttons/

Here are the benchmark results:

There are a few more differences in the hardware spec like marginally faster processor and more RAM. Also has Fire OS 7 which is built on Android 9.

Good question. Dolby vision is a HDR standard and Atmos a sound standard. Atmos needs many things in alignment to perfectly work. The Tv must support it or the firestick for that matter and the ARC connected amp (avr) must have Atmos capability and speakers in a good position to experience the complete package. Height/ceiling speakers needs to sync and many inspite of properly setting the speakers do not get Atmos effect. It is not going to simply work if the firestick has it. Vision will work with a compatible display itself. Atmos needs its proper chain and gear to work.
Thanks for the details and it is really helpful. I completely get it. I have a 5.2.1 system in my living room with a fire tv 4K connected to an Anthem MRX720 but doesn’t output Atmos. I can get Atmos from my Nvidia Shield tv pro with the same Netflix and Apple TV shows. So Nvidia recently started supporting Apple TV. Also in the bedroom I have an Atmos sound bar Sony Hts 5000 and the fire tv is connected to my tv with the arc connected to the soundbar from the tv but still no Atmos. So I was wondering if the fire tv 4K outputs Atmos at all and if the newer one would work better.

Thanks for the details and it is really helpful. I completely get it. I have a 5.2.1 system in my living room with a fire tv 4K connected to an Anthem MRX720 but doesn’t output Atmos. I can get Atmos from my Nvidia Shield tv pro with the same Netflix and Apple TV shows. So Nvidia recently started supporting Apple TV. Also in the bedroom I have an Atmos sound bar Sony Hts 5000 and the fire tv is connected to my tv with the arc connected to the soundbar from the tv but still no Atmos. So I was wondering if the fire tv 4K outputs Atmos at all and if the newer one would work better.
Old fire tv 4k doesn't support Atmos for Netflix, try prime video instead to check.

Nothing on paper but I definitely found it much faster and maybe an issue at my end but somehow Atmos doesn’t seem to work on the 4k and works perfectly on the 4k max on the same equipment. So was forced to upgrade. Still baffled though.

Max runs on FireOS 7 based on Android 9, which offers new/enhanced API/SDKs that 3rd applications can leverage for better integration and AV experience. I also read somewhere that they support TrueHD but didn't have a chance to verify. This might come in handy for those who run Plex player on firestick for local media consumption.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back