Amin Sayani is Back Again!!

venkatcr

For those like me who had their ears glued to their radio and tuned into Radio Ceylon, the Binaca Geethmala is back again.

Saregama

This has to be purchased. Ami Sayani continues to be the best radio jockey I have ever heard. Nobody, just nobody could match the silky smoothness of his voice, his knowledge of the film industry and of the songs he would play. Many times I would just wait for the songs to be over so that I could listen to his voice.

Cheers

For those like me who had their ears glued to their radio and tuned into Radio Ceylon, the Binaca Geethmala is back again.

Saregama

This has to be purchased. Ami Sayani continues to be the best radio jockey I have ever heard. Nobody, just nobody could match the silky smoothness of his voice, his knowledge of the film industry and of the songs he would play. Many times I would just wait for the songs to be over so that I could listen to his voice.

Cheers

Wow, thanks! I remember listening to old tapes someone had recorded his programmes on and wishing I could've heard him live. I guess this would be the second best thing to listening to him live...

Wow! this is great news. I spent many hours glued to my Philips radio listening to this show when I should have been hitting the books as a teenager.

Guess I came out alright out of it though. No regrets except for people giving up on me at a time in life :)

Saregama

Cheers

Oh he is just too good..there no competition...he s just way above everyone. when he talks,,its like you are listening to an old frd and you wud like to believe everything he says..

Now thats a voice from the past !! he surely has a huge fan base of Mammas/Grandmas :D
Im surprised that none of the FM channels have roped him in as yet!!

Now thats a voice from the past !! he surely has a huge fan base of Mammas/Grandmas :D Im surprised that none of the FM channels have roped him in as yet!!

Forget about Grandmas and Grandpas. I challenge any one of the current radio jockeys to match Ameen's diction, his flawless rendition of language and grammar, and his superb timing. The way he used to end a song, or start a song to match perfectly with his words was just too good. I remember the initial jingle of a song was already playing as he neared the end of his talk, and his voice would fade away to let us hear the song in full blast. He also used to change the tone of his voice to suit the song or the mood of the nation. Just listening to Ameen made your adrenaline rush.

He was truly one of the 'Voices of India' that included (in my mind) Melville De Mellow. Today's news readers and radio jockeys cannot hold a candle to these people.

It was sad that AIR never recognized Ameen's talent, and he had to use Radio Ceylon all the time.

In addition to all this, of course, was his intimate knowledge of music directors, singers, films and, songs. He has known the whole lot of them personally and has interviewed every one of them.

In Delhi there was a programme called 'Urdu Programme' that used to specialize in ghazals from films. The radio jockey there was good. I don't remember his name, though. He was very mellow, but had good knowledge of ghazals and used to speak Hindi mixed with Urdu. I think this programme used to be broadcast by AIR from Lucknow. I wonder if that programme is alive today. It used to be broadcast sometime in the afternoon.

Ameen today is 76 years old, and I am sure he wants to take it easy. He does some live shows, and seems to be making money preparing programmes and selling CD/DVDs of his old recordings. Visit ameensayani for details.

Cheers

Last edited:
Today I got my hands on Vol 1 to Vol 5 of Geetmala Ki Chhaon Mein. I have been listening to the CD one after another, and just can't seem to get enough.

In addition to playing some really wonderful songs, Amin Sayani traces the birth and progress of Bianaca Geethmala with some wonderful interviews with Amitabh Bachchan, Pran, Mukesh, Kishore Kumar, Noorjahan, and others.

The first time Binaca Geetmala was aired, I believe, Amin received 9000 letters. After that he used to receive 60,000 letters a week. This, folks, was in 1951 !! There is a father-son combination in Jaipur who have heard every episode of Binaca Geetmala and even kept notes. I believe the son has released a book. Must be a wonderful read. Amin came to know about the date of the first Binaca Geetmala (03 Dec, 1951) from that book. And he was offered a royal Rs.25/- to author the program, DJ it, record it, and answer all 9000 letters !! Whew! My hands ache just thinking about it. I wonder what would have happened if we had mobiles those days?

Some of the wonderful songs are:

CD 1 (The Musical Journey Begins)
Jane Na Nazar Pehchane Jigar (AAh)
Afsana Likh Rahi Hoon (Dard)
Pee Bin Soona Ji (Hamdard)
Bade Armanon Se (Malhar)
Aa Gham E Dil Kya Kroon (Tholar)
Akele Mein Woh Gabrate (Beewee)
Tarari Tarari (Dastan)
Maan Mera Ahsaan Are Nadaan (Aan)
Piya Milan Ko Jaana (Kapal Kundala)
Tere Nainon Ne Chori Kiya (Pyar Ki Jeet)
Jagmag Jagmag Karta Nikla (Rimjhim)
Mere Bachpan Ke Saathi (Anmol Ghadi)
Mohe Bhool Gaye Sanwariya (Baiju Bawra)
Dil Mein Sama Gaye Sajan (Sangdil)

CD 2 (The Lovable Early Years Till 1953)
Yeh Kaun Aaya (Baazi)
Bachpan Ke Din Bhulana Na Dena (Deedar)
Hum Tum Yeh Bahar Dekho Rang Laya (Amber)
Na Jane Kidhar Aaj Meri Nao (Jhoola)
Main Bank Ki Chidiya Banke (Achhut Kanya)
Aayega Aanewala (Mahal)
Aa Mohabbat Ki Basti Basayenge Hum (Fareb)
Hariyala Sawan Dhol Bajatha Aaya (Do Bigha Zamin)
Mere Piya Se Koi Ye (Ashiana)
Awaaz De Kahan Hai (Anmol Ghadi)
Main Kya Janu Jaadoo hai (Zindagi)
Khayalon Mein Kisi Ke Is Tarah (Bawre Nain)
Woh Humse Chup Hain (Sargam)
Tu Ganga Ki Mauj (Baiju Bawra)

Whew! My fingers are paining. I shall pen the rest of the CD titles tomorrow. The remastering of the songs are exceptional. No scratch sound whatsoever, and the voices of Lata, Asha, Tabassum, Manna Dey, Mukes, Rafi all sound as if you are listening to the original Geetmala.

MUST BUY for all Hindi film music lovers. Are you reading this Kamal, Suhas, Marsilians, and others? And the first time you hear this CD, please hear it on a simple 2-in-1. Will bring back the days when we had our ears stuck to small transistor radios, and running around with wires trying to get good reception.

I am listening to CD 3 and it has songs from Anarkali including 'Yeh Zindagi Usiki Hai'. What bliss !! Pradeep Kumar got Rs.1500 for acting in Anarkali and was without work for 10 months after that !!

Cheers

Last edited:
Venkat - you have some persuasive powers. Just placed an order for the collection. Should be at my door when I return from a road trip shortly.

Thanks again - I am starting to get goosebumps thinking of the quality of the lsongwriters, yrics and singers.

Today I got my hands on Vol 1 to Vol 5 of Geetmala Ki Chhaon Mein. I have been listening to the CD one after another, and just seem to get enough.

In addition to playing some really wonderful songs, Amin Sayani traces the birth and progress of Bianaca Geethmala with some wonderful interviews with Amitabh Bachchan, Pran, Mukesh, Kishore Kumar, Noorjahan, and others. Some of the wonderful songs are:

The first time Binaca Geetmala was aired, I believe, Amin received 9000 letters. After that he used to receive 60,000 letters a week. This, folks, was in 1951 !! There is a father-son combination in Jaipur who have heard every episode of Binaca Geetmala and even kept notes. I believe the son has released a book. Must be a wonderful read. Amin came to know about the date of the first Binaca Geetmala (03 Dec, 1951) from that book. And he was offered a royal Rs.25/- to author the program, DJ it, record it, and answer all 9000 letters !! Whew! My hands ache just thinking about it. I wonder what would have happened if we had mobiles those days?

CD 1 (The Musical Journey Begins)
Jane Na Nazar Pehchane Jigar (AAh)
Afsana Likh Rahi Hoon (Dard)
Pee Bin Soona Ji (Hamdard)
Bade Armanon Se (Malhar)
Aa Gham E Dil Kya Kroon (Tholar)
Akele Mein Woh Gabrate (Beewee)
Tarari Tarari (Dastan)
Maan Mera Ahsaan Are Nadaan (Aan)
Piya Milan Ko Jaana (Kapal Kundala)
Tere Nainon Ne Chori Kiya (Pyar Ki Jeet)
Jagmag Jagmag Karta Nikla (Rimjhim)
Mere Bachpan Ke Saathi (Anmol Ghadi)
Mohe Bhool Gaye Sanwariya (Baiju Bawra)
Dil Mein Sama Gaye Sajan (Sangdil)

CD 2 (The Lovable Early Years Till 1953)
Yeh Kaun Aaya (Baazi)
Bachpan Ke Din Bhulana Na Dena (Deedar)
Hum Tum Yeh Bahar Dekho Rang Laya (Amber)
Na Jane Kidhar Aaj Meri Nao (Jhoola)
Main Bank Ki Chidiya Banke (Achhut Kanya)
Aayega Aanewala (Mahal)
Aa Mohabbat Ki Basti Basayenge Hum (Fareb)
Hariyala Sawan Dhol Bajatha Aaya (Do Bigha Zamin)
Mere Piya Se Koi Ye (Ashiana)
Awaaz De Kahan Hai (Anmol Ghadi)
Main Kya Janu Jaadoo hai (Zindagi)
Khayalon Mein Kisi Ke Is Tarah (Bawre Nain)
Woh Humse Chup Hain (Sargam)
Tu Ganga Ki Mauj (Baiju Bawra)

Whew! My fingers are paining. I shall pen the rest of the CD titles tomorrow. The remastering of the songs are exceptional. No scratch sound whatsoever, and the voices of Lata, Asha, Tabassum, Manna Dey, Mukes, Rafi all sound as if you are listening to the original Geetmala.

MUST BUY for all Hindi film music lovers. Are you reading this Kamal, Suhas, Marsilians, and others? And the first time you hear this CD, please hear it on a simple 2-in-1. Will bring back the days when we had our ears stuck to small transistor radios, and running around with wires trying to get good reception.

I am listening to CD 3 and it has songs from Anarkali including 'Yeh Zindagi Usiki Hai'. What bliss !! Pradeep Kumar got Rs.1500 for acting in Anarkali and was without work for 10 months after that !!

Cheers

Marsilians, if you like Hindi Film music like I do, you wont regret it.

Here are the rest of the songs lists.

Vol 3 (Goodbye to the Early Years)

Milke Bichhad Gai Ankhiyan (Raftar)
Chanda Re Ja Re Ja Re (Ziddi)
Jiya Bekarar Hai (Barsaat)
Haath Sene Pe Jo Rakh Do (Mirza Saheban)
Zinda Hoon Is Thara (Aag)
Sajan Ki Galiyan Chhod Chale (Razar)
Seene Mein Sulagthe Hai Arman (Tarana)
Ankhiyan Milake Zara Baat Karo Ji (Pardes)
Man Mor Hua Matwala (Afsar)
Do Naina Tumhara Pyare Pyare (Shrimatiji)
Yeh Zindagi Usiki Hai (Anarkali)
Tore Naina Rasile Katile Haye Ram (Hamdard)
Aankhon Se Door Jake (Arzoo)

Vol 4 (Light & Shades of 1954)

Short Flashes From First 8 Songs of Geetmala First Hit Parade
Some Outstanding Songs of 1954 which missed the Hit Parade

Dekho Woh Chand Chhupke (Shart)
Gore Gore Hathon Mein Mehndi (Parineeta 1953)
Aaj Paheli Taarikh Hai (Paheli Tairkh)
Zameen Chal Rahi (Pehli Jhalak)
Bol Pardesia Yeh Tu Kya Kiya (Mangu)
Nanhe Munne Bachhon Teri Mutthi Mein Kya Hai (Boot Polish)
Marna Teri Gali Mein (Shabab)
Chahe Koi Kush Ho (Taxi Driver)
Hits Nos 16 to 9 of 1954 (recently discovered)

Vol 5 (Hits & Misses of 1955)
Short Flashes of the HIT SONGS No.16 to No. 9 from Geetmala's Annual Hit Parade of 1955

Short Memorable Songs of 1955 which missed the Hit Parade
Aa Neele Gagan Tale Pyar Hum Karen (Badshah)
Dil Ka Haal Sune Dilwala (Shree 420)
Kitna Haseen Hai Mausam (Azad)
Woh Na Aayenge Palat Kar (Devdas)
Phaili Hui Hai Sapno Ki Baahen (House No.44)
Short Flashes of the Top 8 Hit Songs of 1955
Some More Songs of 1955 - All Fabulous but missed the Hit Parade
Tasveer Banata Hoon (Baradari)
Apni Chhaya Mein Bhagwan (Insaniyat)
Ghayal Hiraniyan (Munimji)
Jabse Mili Tose Ankhiyan (Amaanat)
Chand Madhyam Hai (Railway Platform)
Thandi Hawa Kali Ghata (Mr. & Mrs 55)

My god the choice of songs are just too good, and to hear it with Amin's voice crooning. I am listening to the sweet voice of Lata singing Phaili Hui Hai Sapno Ki Baahen.

Guys, head for the nearest shops.

I am going to hear nothing but these CDs for the next few days.

Cheers

Marsilians, if you like Hindi Film music like I do, you wont regret it.

Here are the rest of the songs lists.

Vol 3 (Goodbye to the Early Years)

Milke Bichhad Gai Ankhiyan (Raftar)
Chanda Re Ja Re Ja Re (Ziddi)
Jiya Bekarar Hai (Barsaat)
Haath Sene Pe Jo Rakh Do (Mirza Saheban)
Zinda Hoon Is Thara (Aag)
Sajan Ki Galiyan Chhod Chale (Razar)
Seene Mein Sulagthe Hai Arman (Tarana)
Ankhiyan Milake Zara Baat Karo Ji (Pardes)
Man Mor Hua Matwala (Afsar)
Do Naina Tumhara Pyare Pyare (Shrimatiji)
Yeh Zindagi Usiki Hai (Anarkali)
Tore Naina Rasile Katile Haye Ram (Hamdard)
Aankhon Se Door Jake (Arzoo)

Vol 4 (Light & Shades of 1954)

Short Flashes From First 8 Songs of Geetmala First Hit Parade
Some Outstanding Songs of 1954 which missed the Hit Parade

Dekho Woh Chand Chhupke (Shart)
Gore Gore Hathon Mein Mehndi (Parineeta 1953)
Aaj Paheli Taarikh Hai (Paheli Tairkh)
Zameen Chal Rahi (Pehli Jhalak)
Bol Pardesia Yeh Tu Kya Kiya (Mangu)
Nanhe Munne Bachhon Teri Mutthi Mein Kya Hai (Boot Polish)
Marna Teri Gali Mein (Shabab)
Chahe Koi Kush Ho (Taxi Driver)
Hits Nos 16 to 9 of 1954 (recently discovered)

Vol 5 (Hits & Misses of 1955)
Short Flashes of the HIT SONGS No.16 to No. 9 from Geetmala's Annual Hit Parade of 1955

Short Memorable Songs of 1955 which missed the Hit Parade
Aa Neele Gagan Tale Pyar Hum Karen (Badshah)
Dil Ka Haal Sune Dilwala (Shree 420)
Kitna Haseen Hai Mausam (Azad)
Woh Na Aayenge Palat Kar (Devdas)
Phaili Hui Hai Sapno Ki Baahen (House No.44)
Short Flashes of the Top 8 Hit Songs of 1955
Some More Songs of 1955 - All Fabulous but missed the Hit Parade
Tasveer Banata Hoon (Baradari)
Apni Chhaya Mein Bhagwan (Insaniyat)
Ghayal Hiraniyan (Munimji)
Jabse Mili Tose Ankhiyan (Amaanat)
Chand Madhyam Hai (Railway Platform)
Thandi Hawa Kali Ghata (Mr. & Mrs 55)

My god the choice of songs are just too good, and to hear it with Amin's voice crooning. I am listening to the sweet voice of Lata singing Phaili Hui Hai Sapno Ki Baahen.

Guys, head for the nearest shops.

I am going to hear nothing but these CDs for the next few days.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,
The site doesnt mention a5 cd pack. Just a price of 3 hundred something. Even i wish to order one. So is the price mentioned applly to the 5cd pack?

I have this 5 CD pack. Worth evry penny and more!
I gifted one to my uncle on his 75th birthday and he was absolutely in tears.

So grab one copy till stocks last.

Thanks Venkat for this introduction.

lots of thanks to venkatji for such nice information, next stop will in buying this 5 cd pack

Jeeva, do you like Hindi songs and do you recognise these songs? These songs (at least this set of volumes) are very very old. Unless you have heard them before and liked them, you might find them boring. More important, you should understand the songs (mixture of Hindi and Urdu) and the context with which they were written and played.

People like me have grown with these songs, have seen the movies (I have seen Uran Katola about 15 times, and Madhumati about 25 times), and even sung some of these songs to our GFs and in parties. These were the early formative years of singers such as Mukesh, Lata, Asha, Rafi, Kishore Kumar, and Mahendra Kapoor.

Though many of us feel these songs are eternal and evergreen, that may not be true to all ears.

Cheers

Jeeva, do you like Hindi songs and do you recognise these songs? These songs (at least this set of volumes) are very very old. Unless you have heard them before and liked them, you might find them boring. More important, you should understand the songs (mixture of Hindi and Urdu) and the context with which they were written and played.

People like me have grown with these songs, have seen the movies (I have seen Uran Katola about 15 times, and Madhumati about 25 times), and even sung some of these songs to our GFs and in parties. These were the early formative years of singers such as Mukesh, Lata, Asha, Rafi, Kishore Kumar, and Mahendra Kapoor.

Though many of us feel these songs are eternal and evergreen, that may not be true to all ears.

Cheers

Ok let me admit, I might not have heard all the songs,,but dont laugh...I have ordered the cd pack because of Amin Sayani compering..amazing. His voice and the way he takes you through the whole gamut of emotions is worth its weight in gold. And I thank Venky for uncovering this superb cd title for us. And we must all motivate Mr. Sayani to come out with more titles by buying legal copies.

Madjack you wish has been granted.

SaReGaMa has released Volumes 6-10 of Geetmala Ki Chhaon Mein. Though the CDs have been on the racks for some time, I managed to get my hands on my copy today. Here are the songs in the volumes.

CD 6 (1956 Kay Geet + Radio Ceylon Ka Safar)
Sawlay Salonay Aye (Ek Hi Raasta)
Qadar Jaane Na Mora (Bhai Bhai)
Yeh Nai Nai Preet Hai (Pocketmaar)
Aaye Bahar Ban Ke (Raj Haath)
Aji Chale Aao (Halaku)
Kise Yaad Rakhoon (Anurag)
Manbhavan Ke Ghar Jaye Gori (Chori Chori)
Maine Chand Aur Sitaron Ki (Chandrakanta)
Meri Neendon Mein Tum (Naya Andaz)
Dil-E-Betaab Tahar (Naya Aadmi)

CD 7 (Yaadgaar Get 1957 (Part 1) + Ek Chamakti Shaam)
Hum Aapki Ankhon Mein (Pyaasa)
Chand Phir Nikla Magar Tum Na Aaye (Paying Guest)
Aa Ja Panchi Akela Hai (Nau Do Gyarah)
Tu Pyaar Kare Ya Thukraye (Dekh Khabira Roya)
Dukhi Man Mere (Funtoosh)
Yeh Hansta Hua Caravan Zidagi Ka (Ek Jhalak)
Lagi Nahi Chhoote Ram (Musafir)
Sub Kuch Loota Ke (Ek Saal)
Taron Ki Zuban Par Hai (Nausherwan-E-Adil)

CD 8 (Sureela 1957 (Part 2) + Aap Ke Kuchh Khat)
Kaun Aaya Mere Man Ke Dware (Dekh Khabira Roya)
Raat Ne Kya Kya Khwab Dikhaye (Ek Gaon Ki Kahani)
Bhool Jaye Saare Gham (Nausherwan-E-Adil)
Dane Dane Pe Likha Hain (Baarish)
Darshan Do Ganshyam (Narsi Bhagat)
Teri Chamakti Aankhon Ke (Chhote Babu)
Kar Gaya Re Mujpe Jadu (Basant Bahar)
Pinjre Ke Panchi (Nagmani)
Jane Woh Kaise Log The (Pyaasa)
O Chand Jahan Woh Jay (Sharada)

CD 9 (1958 Ki Mohabbatein (part 1) + Ameen Ki Prem Kahani
Aaiye Meharban (Howrah Bridge)
Mere Jeevan Mein Kiran Banke (Talaq)
Tie Laga Kar Mana Ban Gaye Janab Hero (Bhabhi)
Hai Kali Kali Ke Lab Par (Lala Rookh)
Unko Yeh Shikayat Hai Ki (Adalat)
O Neend Na Mujko Aaye (Post Box 999)
Hum Pyar Me Jalne Waalon Ko (Jailor)
Aansoo Bhari Hai Yeh Jeevan Ki (Parvarish)
Main Soya Ankhiyan Meeche (Phalgun)
Humen Hal-E-Dil Tumse Kehna Hai (24 Ghante)

CD 10 (1958 Ke Sureelay Ujaale (Part 2)
Short Flashes of the top 16 songs of the year, and 12 immortal songs that got left behind

Ja Ja Re Saajna ( Savera)
Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu (Howrah Bridge)
O Gaadiwale (Mother India)
Ta Thaiya Karte Aana (Panchayat)
Haye Jiya Roye Roye (Milan)
Tujhe Kya Sunaoon Main Dilruba (Aakhri Dao)
Chhupa Chhupi O Chhupi (Savera)
Zulmi Sang Ankh Ladi (Madhumathi)
Boondaniyan Barsan Lagi Re (Jailor)
Tum Jo Huye Mere Humsafar (12 'O' Clock)
Yeh Raaten Yeh Musam (Dilli Ka Thug)
Piya Piya Na Laage Mora Jiya (Phagun)

My personal favourite, in no particular order, are the following:

Yeh Raaten Yeh Musam (A beautiful duet)
Zulmi Sang Ankh Ladi (There are better songs in Madhumathi, but still....)
Chhupa Chhupi O Chhupi (A racy song that makes you want to tap along)
Aansoo Bhari Hai Yeh Jeevan Ki (One of the best of Mukesh, in my opinion)
Hum Pyar Me Jalne Waalon Ko (A beatiful mix of voice and instruments)
Unko Yeh Shikayat Hai Ki (A gem from Lata)
Raat Ne Kya Kya Khwab Dikhaye (What a song from Talat)
Kaun Aaya Mere Man Ke Dware (The song for which Manna Dey should have got the Filmfare award, but instead gave a heart attack to SD Burman)
Sub Kuch Loota Ke (A song that really sets the sadness that Talat became famous for, and what lyrics)
Maine Chand Aur Sitaron Ki (A song from Rafi that brings tears to your eyes)
Manbhavan Ke Ghar Jaye Gori (A fabulous duet from Lata and Asha)

Cheers

I had emailed Amin Sayani after the release of the first set with a request to record furhter releases in this series so that it would be possible to rip the music w/o the commentary - after a while it becomes tedious to keep hearing the commentary(IMveryHO!).
Has that been catered for in this further release?

Nope. The CDs all contain a single fail with no gaps in between. But I don't think he will do what you want. After all he is trying to recreate the radio program when one song gives way to his voice, and another song takes over before his voice dies. That is his trademark.

Cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back