Amp and Speakers Mid range home use

[email protected]

Hello
I just joined this forum , can some of the experts help in taking the right call and helping me in buying a good Amp and speaker.
I have looked at the following and that is my price range:)

Yamaha AX 497 and Yamaha NS 7900 Speakers
also
Cambridge 640 A with Morduarnt Short 906i
Is there a better choice or is this a good combo...
Any direction will be highly appreciated.....:D

Rajiv, the amps Shriram has mentioned are in the price range 20-25K, if I am not too mistaken. The Music Hall (what is the model no, I think 23 or something) is known to be a powerful little amp with a lot of drive, however they may be above 40K, if I remember correctly my discussion with Raghu from Chennai some months ago. In that price range, Arcam FMJ A18 has good reports too, with a bit of drive (surprising from the Arcam house), and I like the refined sound of Arcam.

Shriram, what is your budget? And What is your musical preference?

Hello
I just joined this forum , can some of the experts help in taking the right call and helping me in buying a good Amp and speaker.

also

Hi,

Welcome mate to this nice community. We all will be happy to help in our capacity. It will be easier for everybody to give input if u specify ur budget and usage.

Cheers.

Hello

also

Hi:

Welcome. Yamaha you can ignore for 2-channel, IMO. Ok, now you can look at these following combos:

1. CA 640A V2 + MS 906i -> Excellent synergy and very musical.
2. Marantz PM7001 + Diamond 9.5 -> Lovely warm and nonfatiguing sound.
3. NAD 325 BEE + Mission M34/35i -> Never heard them (good feedbacks here)

Yamaha AX 497 and Yamaha NS 7900 Speakers also Cambridge 640 A with Morduarnt Short 906i

Strictly between the two, CA + MS would be a better choice. Though Yamaha does make good products, they are not considered to be very musical in pure audio as their products tend to favour low frequencies a bit too much. Also see if you can pair the CA with Quad speakers. That is a deadly combination.

Other brands? There are lots out there. For example in the same price range you might get a NAD amp. Between NAD and CA, NAD has a slightly deeper bass.

All this depends on your taste of music and what you are willing to spend. And, please remember. You must audition the products youself before ordering anything.

Cheers

as venkat said there are a lot of brands in the market. whats your budget / what sort of music do you listen to

hi Shriram!

We have the Advance Acoustic MAP 105 integrated amplifier available with us for demo.

Please come over and have a listen before you make a decision.

regards,
abhishek.

Shriram

It makes sense to better recommend once your budget is known, as well as what kind of area/room you plan to use.Lots of choices available-even more than cars!

George

Rajiv, the amps Shriram has mentioned are in the price range 20-25K, if I am not too mistaken. The Music Hall (what is the model no, I think 23 or something) is known to be a powerful little amp with a lot of drive, however they may be above 40K, if I remember correctly my discussion with Raghu from Chennai some months ago. In that price range, Arcam FMJ A18 has good reports too, with a bit of drive (surprising from the Arcam house), and I like the refined sound of Arcam.

Shriram, what is your budget? And What is your musical preference?

My Budget is around 40-45 K and I listen to Rock, soft rock, Jazz and also Indian classical music, carnatic to be specific.....

Shriram

It makes sense to better recommend once your budget is known, as well as what kind of area/room you plan to use.Lots of choices available-even more than cars!

George

Thanks George,
Like i answered to Asit, the budget is around 40-45 K and the room size is 20x 20 , but the room is kind of open and not enclosed with a lot of head room....does this help....
Regards
Srriam

Hi,

Welcome mate to this nice community. We all will be happy to help in our capacity. It will be easier for everybody to give input if u specify ur budget and usage.

Cheers.

Thanks Yogesh
The budget is around 40 -45 K and I listen to ROck, Soft Rock, progressive rock and the similar kinds, and also classical music.....Strange Comination of liking:D

My Budget is around 40-45 K and I listen to Rock, soft rock, Jazz and also Indian classical music, carnatic to be specific.....

That's a broad spectrum of music (rock to Indian classical) there and it would need a very capable amp+speaker combo to satisfy you.

Recently I have heard a lot of amps (of all price range up to above a lakh), and with my very limited knowledge, the following is the impression on budget amps (around 20-25K).

In that price range, the brands are Nad, CA and Marantz. My comments below are meant for amps of these brands strictly in that price range. If you go higher up in price, then obviously things improve, but then there are other options available from other brands too.

The Nads are musical and have some bass, however, the sound may not be as clean as the other two, the highs will also be rounded off a bit. It will give the best soundstage in this price.

The CA would give you a cleaner and faster sound, there would be more detail, however, the sound may just be a bit clinical to some people's tastes, and hence lacking just a bit in musicality.

Marantz amps in this price range gives the best value for money IMO. However, I have no idea how they would perform with rock. They have reasonable details, very musical and and overall more balanced performance than the other two.

The models are:
Nad: 315, 325 and 326
CA: 340, 540, 640
Marantz: 6002, 6003, 7001, 7003

In the above, the newer models like Nad 326 and Marantz 6003, 7003 I have not heard. My favorite would be the 7001. IMO, it is very good VFM for my kind of music. But you may not find one now.

Please these are strictly my opinion. Others and most importantly, you may disagree after you hear all of them.

I have not heard that many speakers in the price range 20-25 K, so would not comment in detail. But among the speakers not mentioned in this thread, I would look at a PSB (not the alpha B1, the one above that) and also the lowest range Ushers (S530 is the model name I suppose).

Regards.

a good pair of bookshelves would do nicely - monitor audio bronze / kef iq series. with either a nad or cambridge or marantz amp. the nad would be nice for indian classical. its slightly warmer and so the highs aren't too bright and wont give you listening fatigue

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you who gave me the inputs, I finllay picked up the CA and MS combo 640 A and 906i....I have have hooked it to a Onyko Liver pool system for now, I will be going in for a CDP soon and will be back for suggestions.....once thanks a ton....:)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back