Amp Denon 720 vs Marantz 6004 ( or 5 )

GCE

hi, can you tell me the difference in sound between the two amps, since I have not been able to do a direct comparison in the store? Thank you :thumbsup:

No sound difference IMO. You can buy Denon PMA 720AE for as low as 170GBP, where as you'll get Marantz PM6005 for 350GBP. and PM6004 is no longer available in the market. PM 6005 has an in-built DAC. Whereas PMA 720AE has pre-out, which is useful for future expansion or if you want to add a sub. At present scenario, Denon PMA 720AE is the best choice in terms of sound, price, aesthetics and for future expansion.

Thanks to Amitkg & Spiro ( why? ) , I need more information about sound differences and construction quality - reliability between these two amp for a friend.

Last edited:
Thanks to Amitkg & Spiro ( why? ) , I need more information about sound differences and construction quality - reliability between these two amp for a friend.
No sound difference, both are from same parent company. Denon is slightly bassy and Marantz is neutral. Marantz output is 45wpc, Denon is of 50wpc @8ohms, both are high current amp. Marantz has toroidal transformer, Denon has IE transformer. Denon is more powerful. Both have solid build, personally, I like, Denon's appearance but your friend may like the retro look of Marantz.

Hi
When I bought my Stereo 2 channel system I did take auditioned of many Amplifier and speaker combos.

My view is Denon 720 is no where close to Marantz 6005 amps.

It also very depends on which speakers are using ? As Denon Amp is bright where as Marantz is very musical and transparant.

I am using PMC 23 on my Marantz and the combo is awesome.

If you want you can come to hear them

Regards

Rajeev

Thanks Rajeevkale... when I come in India ! Here in Italy people say that Denon is more bassy and Mara neutral.

Denon is not as clean as Marantz. If bass is just bloated,it may not be enjoyable for long.:)
@GCE, please ask your friend, what he likes; bassy sound or neutral sound, and then take the final call. I would like to reaffirm that Denon, priced at 170 GBP, a great value for money proposition.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back