Amp for Wharfedale Diamond 9.2

Sat

:confused:Hi Guys,

I have bought a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s.

At this moment I do not have a dedicated amp & I have
bi-wired them with Acaustic Research Pro Series 16G cable to my Sony GR7 system.

The results are definitely better than before, but I am seriously looking for a dedicated amp. which will be used only for music.

Can anybody suggest whether to go for an amp or a receiver?

Budget is 25K Max.

Thanks,

Sat

Without a shadow of a doubt, get a stereo amp. A receiver would be a mistake -- it just cannot match the amp's clean, powerful and musical output. It's a mistake I've made and am correcting now.

With your budget you should look at: Marantz PM7001, NAD C352 (or 325BEE), Cambridge Audio 640A Version 2. I'm guessing the NAD 352 will work best but the experts here would know better.

:)Hey particleman !

Great !

That's really a confident reply I got in one shot.

Thanks a lot. I'll chek your suggestions for the details on the web.

Sat

Without a shadow of a doubt, get a stereo amp. A receiver would be a mistake -- it just cannot match the amp's clean, powerful and musical output. It's a mistake I've made and am correcting now..

hey i too had that doubt... but thanks it got cleared in a jiffy... can u also pl tell me if there is a rule in matching amp with speakers... if speaker is 120 watts then what watt power should the amp be of ideally (50% of speaker power or 60% or 70%)

check out Marantz Pm 7001 or PM 4001 , its very good on Wharfedale, and also Cambridge audio 640 and 540 .

and vify

if your speakers are 120 watts , you can connect even 150 watts amplifier there is no harm in that .............please note that you can damage your speakers very easily by adding a under powered amp to your system rather then over power amplifier.

Last edited:
I paid 14,400 in Pune and 2000 for cables. I have bi-wired these to my deck. Still haven't got a good amp. But the combination works fine for me even with vol control on full.

Hi Vilfy,

Good that you asked this question. I always go by this calculation

1. what is the SPL at which you would be playing music usually?

Typically you should target 110db at listening position
This is the equation. 100 W rms = 20 dbW
50W = 17 dbW
25W = 14 dbW

Now factor in speaker efficiency . eg : speakers are rated at 91 db/w/m . SPL drops 6db per metre so lets say you sit 2 m away. Your speakers are now 85 db/w/m (91-6)

If you power it with a 100 W amp, you would achieve 105 db (20 dbW + 85) db. Now add one more speaker (2nd channel). This adds 3 db. So at listening position you would achieve 108 Db which is close to ideal.

This is a rough estimate to help you determine amp power based on listening conditions. I am assuming your in room response will be more than the speakers rated response because of reverberations and for continuous listening at average of 110 db which is highly unlikely. So take these calculations as rough estimates but they are definitely more accurate than the percentage calculations people go by.

Most solid state amps sound almost the same these days (if designed well). If you are not using a TT, choice is all the more easier for you. Spend more money, time and effort on evaluating speakers than amps

:confused:Hi Guys,

I have bought a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s.

At this moment I do not have a dedicated amp & I have
bi-wired them with Acaustic Research Pro Series 16G cable to my Sony GR7 system.

The results are definitely better than before, but I am seriously looking for a dedicated amp. which will be used only for music.

Can anybody suggest whether to go for an amp or a receiver?

Budget is 25K Max.

Thanks,

Sat

Hi:

I would recommend Marantz PM7001 with Diamon 9.2 - excellent synergy. I can also recommend CA 640A V2, which is also good. Both falls under your budget, though.

Please audition them before taking the plunge.:)

hi

which dealer did you buy the 9.2..... any discount he gave..

regards

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back