Amp hunt

I want to clarify that, Amp doesn't play a bigger role in playing something loud. And believe me, the honest truth is that you don't need a beast of an amp to play something loud. Any damn amp is okay, believe me thats true. But people want power with finesse. That's why there are amps costing more than a car does.

To play loud music, one should pay attention to the speaker sensitivity rather than the amp. Because its easier to buy speakers with higher sensitivity than a higher powered amp.

I have a question to ask. What has made you shortlist Onkyo? And what were your other choices?

There are several people on this Forum owing 875 on this forum, and seem to be happy with it.

I was myself not a big Onkyo fan, but they seem to have got it right this time. They have beaten Denon on both audio and video hardware. I am not really in a hurry and would take my time. As I also need a good HDMI 1.3a compliant blu-ray player, which is not available as easily as the AVR, before I see significant benefits. Of course, I need to upgrade my projector too.

Thanks,
Sharad

I agree. Onkyo seem to have got this right this time. Lets hope it has. So, when is your plan. Do come back with a full review.

Hey..So i went ahead and got myself the onkyo 875. I think its an amazing system with out of the box video upscaling to HD...next gen format support etc.

thanks for all your help/suggestions.

Now if only i could get advice on home projector - i have chosen (not yet bought) the "Optoma HD 80" ..my budget is about maximum 200,000/ INR.

Appreciate it

Cheers

Hi Mukund,

We seem to be walking the same road, though you are a bit faster than me :)

I have the same budget for my new projector, and based on the research I have narrowed down on Panasonic PT-AE2000U. i am yet to start with the demos.

Check out my comparisons here.

I am not very fond of Optoma. I have been using a PLUS projector for the last 4 years, while a couple of my friends are using Optoma. The Optoma projectors are a bit brighter at similar lumen specs, but the picture does not look natural and refined. It is as if we are viewing the outdoors using the light of a 500W bulb.

Check them out for yourself.

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi Mukund,

I have the same budget for my new projector, and based on the research I have narrowed down on Panasonic PT-AE2000U. i am yet to start with the demos.

Check out my comparisons here.

I am not very fond of Optoma. I have been using a PLUS projector for the last 4 years, while a couple of my friends are using Optoma. The Optoma projectors are a bit brighter at similar lumen specs, but the picture does not look natural and refined. It is as if we are viewing the outdoors using the light of a 500W bulb.

Check them out for yourself.

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi there,

Appreciate your inputs, I am a n00b when it comes to projectors too (like the audio equipment), though i sure can tell good quality from bad like everybody else. The points that you raised about optoma - Yes, them are quite justified, the quality of the image is nothing worth talking about and all the reviewers maintain it. BUT, after some serious calibration and tweaking various settings it can be brought to a respectable level, so much that it is almost as good as infocus's latest.

Here are my resources for the various projectors i am planning to demo :

Panasonic PT-AE2000U

Optoma HD80 DLP

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080

Sanyo PLV-Z2000

All of these are more or less within my/your budget and according to reviewers great VFM

Also i believe we are discussing this subject in the wrong category/but lets keep at it until a mod turns up. apologies to everyone else

Cheers

I want to clarify that, Amp doesn't play a bigger role in playing something loud. And believe me, the honest truth is that you don't need a beast of an amp to play something loud. Any damn amp is okay, believe me thats true. But people want power with finesse. That's why there are amps costing more than a car does.

To play loud music, one should pay attention to the speaker sensitivity rather than the amp. Because its easier to buy speakers with higher sensitivity than a higher powered amp.

I have a question to ask. What has made you shortlist Onkyo? And what were your other choices?

But it is always better to have an amp that can put out more power than your speaker can handle. An underpowered amp will clip signals and the speaker voice coils may be fried do to the distorted signals.

Hi Mukund,

Did you compare these projectors through demos?
What is the best price you are getting for Panasonic PT-AE2000U in India?

As mentioned earlier, I am also looking for a similar projector. I am traveling to the US this month. I wonder if it makes sense for me to buy it there, as there are no voltage issues with projectors.

Thanks,
Sharad

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back