Amp + Speakers for pure music listening. [Budget: 30-40k]

For PM5004 try MS Aviano-1 BS Speakers(around 15k price), they sound good with all details and bass is enough with Marantz.

N.Murali

rohitmusic

Increase your budget ..buy a good gear amp+speakers+ CD player .. you have not mentioned the last component ...believe me that makes a huge difference .

in case u comprise now ...u will not be happy and keep thinking about the difference between your new gear and old gear .....and then be back in this forum after few months selling and buying something else ....

audition and buy a amp which can belt out anything between 70-100..150 Watts ....this will ensure that your choice of speakers get widened and you dont have to think much before cranking up the volume ...

rohitmusic

audition and buy a amp which can belt out anything between 70-100..150 Watts ....this will ensure that your choice of speakers get widened and you dont have to think much before cranking up the volume ...

Don't you feel a 100-150 watt RMS amp will be serious overkill for a 10x7 room,
IMO even a 40 watt RMS SS amp would drive inefficient 84-86db speakers to insane volume levels.

Don't you feel a 100-150 watt RMS amp will be serious overkill for a 10x7 room,

incorrect notion
when one gets into mid fi /hi fi
i belive for listening position 9-10feet away for a 88-89 db speaker you may have 3 times the nominal rms rated power of your speaker driver on your amp to make full use of the driver
(if you can afford)
(for SS integrated AB class amplification)

the headroom really helps
ofcourse this is a general thumb rule that only i follow and has some exceptions

you canhear the differnce even at low volumes

incorrect notion
when one gets into mid fi /hi fi
i belive for listening position 9-10feet away for a 88-89 db speaker you may have 3 times the nominal rms rated power of your speaker driver on your amp to make full use of the driver
(if you can afford)
(for SS integrated AB class amplification)

the headroom really helps
ofcourse this is a general thumb rule that only i follow and has some exceptions

you canhear the differnce even at low volumes

I agree with you in toto. I drive 180w per channel in a 11x15 room with speakers that have a nominal rating of 25w max100w. Listening position is 9 feet away approx

The OP has a budget of 30k-40k which is decent to start off with in a small room.
Besides actives like the Quads, Adams etc. I don't see how he can factor in a decent mid segment pair of BS + higher powered 100/150 videshi brand amp without spending a good 10 - 15k more. There has to be a compromise somewhere.

So IMO if BS+amp is his option Pick up a better BS upfront with a decent amp like the PM 5/6004 / Yam AS 3/500 etc

As with all things in Hifi - sky is the limit when it comes to spending. How fat the wallet is and how much you want to empty it important at the end of the day.

You can have my speakers and connect them with Cambridge audio (just being another European amp).

rohitmusic

Increase your budget ..buy a good gear amp+speakers+ CD player .. you have not mentioned the last component ...believe me that makes a huge difference .

I already have a dedicated Philips CD player, which I think should do the job. :)

all can say is that for 40-45k it makes terrific sense it many screnarios
i ve not heard the usher so i cant compare

I have one confusion here. Earlier I state a smaller room, now I will be setting up base in a bigger room 10'x16'. So will the active speakers option still hold good???

youre not gonna get a decent KEF with a stereo amp within 45 k
so thats out of the window too in any case even if you do, well a 5inch KEF Iq series with a Denon amp do sound good, the vocals might be better but the Quad will trump it in all other depts

I am quoted KEF Q300 @ 31k + If I go with the Marantz 5004 offer @ 17.5k then it comes to around 48.5k basic cost. (which is a stretch for my budget already, not counting in the interconnects, etc cost :sad: )

Incidentally just yesterday I auditioned the KEF Q300 :D It was connected to the Marantz 5004 amp. exactly the above setup.
There were some demo CDs of Indian classical music (which I like anyways, they did not have any other genre music CDs).
First I played some Zakhir hussain - tabla, Bheemsen Joshi - no intro needed, Shivkumar sharma - santoor, Amjad ali khan and the sound was very clear and good but nothing that would hit me in the face and make my jaw drop and say Wow!!! :indifferent14:
Then I played Vikku Vinayak on Ghatam. This was the moment when I was just Blown away by the details of the claps and taps of the Ghatam. The sound was simply so crisp and detailed. Even the internal echos of the Ghatam were clearly audible. All the frequencies were rendered rather flawlessly! It was a pure pleasure to hear it and I was hearing it for quite some time, just could not resist moving from there! :)
I must admit that this hearing was so pure and detailed that it was even reqarding than hearing him live in concert which I have done on previous occasions :) for some time I was hooked and lost in the music.
So, I observed that the music rendition is very tight and clean especially for beats and claps like needed in Ghatam for which I was most impressed as compared to other instruments, vocals. (again I may have to spend more time with these speakers to check other genres of music)
I have not auditioned many speakers and nor am an expert. But just by hearing I could say that these speakers have a well deserved place for themselves :)
couldnt help but share this really nice experience.

warfedale,norge topping etc
well its gonna walk over a warfedale NAD combo anytime ( purely in my books)
- Again does it hold good for a bigger room? :)

For PM5004 try MS Aviano-1 BS Speakers(around 15k price), they sound good with all details and bass is enough with Marantz.

N.Murali

Thanks, since I have now heard the KEF Q300, how do these compare? I wouldnt mind considering any speaker if there is 10% +- difference in SQ unless the sound quality is obviously significant :)

Dear Friends,
It gives me a great warm community feeling to get help from all of you! :) Thank you so much for the same! :)
:clapping:

Thanks Musicbee, Flash, Magma, hifipal4all, spirovious, avidyarthy and wgl!
Each of your inputs educates me and is very valuable.

Musicbee,

Wharf + Norge:
I plan to check out the Wharfdale + Norge combination coming weekend at Aquarios. I have already taked with him yesterday for demoing same So your inputs help support this demo. :)

Well in a 16X10 room. it opens up a lot speakers / amps.
Kef Q300/Usher S520 with Norge or Topping TP20:
I have heard lot of rave veriews of KEF Q300 and the Usher. I will be demoing the KEFQ300 at soundscape. They are pairing it with Marantz 5004.
Is this a good amp combination considering you have recommended Norge or Topping?
Also since marantz is on discount on HifiMart will that be a good pair with these speakers especially Kef Q300?
I have been quoted Kef Q300 at 31K. Can I get it at a better price?

Not sure where I can demo a Usher S520 and what would be its pricing?
Again, I would not want to compromise on sound Q just for saving few bucks :) I am looking it as a long term investment in my musical journey.

Flash:
Thanks for your insightful inputs.
I will try to find and demo these speakers: Q100 , Usher S520 , B&W 686, Quad 11L2, Wharf 10.1, Norge Millenium Bookshelves.

I am seeing that my room size (10x7) is a constraint. So now I have decided to setup the system in my living room size (10'x16'). I will be sitting towards the 16 feet end. So it is a longer room. Room layout below:

Thanks hifipal4all, I will check out the Tanoy MF FS. But as they are FS will they be ok for my room size? (10'x16'). I will keep the interconnects and speaker cables in my notes, will help while buying :)

Regarding Active speakers, will the be good for the 10x16 room?
All that matters to me is SQ. period. so if they sound better I may as well go for them :)

avidyarthy, I will check the Topping amp.

wgl, I will check out the DNM speakers.

Thanks to All again, for your are educating me for good! May the music Gods bless you! ;) :thumbsup:

Hoperfully it will help me get closer to music & help understand and enjoy it more! :yahoo:

:signthankspin:
Warm regards,
Rohit

Q300 is a brilliant speaker and has received rave reviews. They are said to pair well with the Marantz PM6004 and higher. I never never heard them with the PM5004 so personally cant comment. However extra power is always recommended.
I never never heard them with NAD's but do audtion NAD 326/356 with KEF as well. Avoid bright amps for KEF, Unless offcourse you like the birght sound.
B&W 685 is another speaker you can audition. Sound Factor has them.

The wharf 10.1 does not even come close to what the Q300 can offer. Different league in SQ as well as pricing

At the Pune hifi meet we heard the Adam A7's active montors and although I was personally sitting probably 15 - 16 feet away the SQ was simply fantastic. Quad's should do a similar job as well.

Audition speakers first finalize on which speakers sound nice to your ears and take your time on the amp. Choose wisely

Cheers

Thanks Flash for the guidance. I much need it! :)
Regarding Q300 having heard them now, I know for a matter of fact they ARE GOOD. :)

I have heard this term of "BRIGHT" speakers/amp. I googled and found what it means. Basically they are more towards higher frequencies rather than balanced if I get it right.

So, how do we categorize following amps: (Bright/Warm?)
Amp Bright?
===============
Norge -
Marantz -
NAD -
Yamaha -
Cambridge -

"Audition speakers first finalize on which speakers sound nice to your ears and take your time on the amp. Choose wisely"
- Wise advice indeed! I will follow it. Thanks! :)

This is where I currently stand based on recommendations in this thread:
Speaker options: (with price guesstimates)
============
1. Wharf 10.1 - 15k
2. KEF Q300 - 31k
3. Usher S520 - ?
4. B&W 868 - ?
5. Quad 11L2 - ?
6. Norge Millenium Bookshelves - ?
7. Mordant Short Aviano 1 - 15K
8. Dali Lector (any model?)
9. Quad 11L Active - 44k
10. Tanoy M4 FS -25k

Amps:
=====
Norge 2060 - 9k?
Marantz PM5004 - 17.5K
NAD 326/356 - ?
Yamaha AS300 - ?
Cambridge Audio 35A - ?

So, I am take this activity in 2 phases now:
1. Select speakers
2. Select matching Amps

I will try to auditions these speakers this weekend - Saturday and keep posted. So any inputs before weekend that will help in auditions?

Dear Friends,
It gives me a great warm community feeling to get help from all of you! :) Thank you so much for the same! :)
:clapping:

Thanks Musicbee, Flash, Magma, hifipal4all, spirovious, avidyarthy and wgl!
Each of your inputs educates me and is very valuable.

Musicbee,

Wharf + Norge:
I plan to check out the Wharfdale + Norge combination coming weekend at Aquarios. I have already taked with him yesterday for demoing same So your inputs help support this demo. :)

Kef Q300/Usher S520 with Norge or Topping TP20:
I have heard lot of rave veriews of KEF Q300 and the Usher. I will be demoing the KEFQ300 at soundscape. They are pairing it with Marantz 5004.
Is this a good amp combination considering you have recommended Norge or Topping?
Also since marantz is on discount on HifiMart will that be a good pair with these speakers especially Kef Q300?
I have been quoted Kef Q300 at 31K. Can I get it at a better price?

Not sure where I can demo a Usher S520 and what would be its pricing?
Again, I would not want to compromise on sound Q just for saving few bucks :) I am looking it as a long term investment in my musical journey.

Flash:
Thanks for your insightful inputs.
I will try to find and demo these speakers: Q100 , Usher S520 , B&W 686, Quad 11L2, Wharf 10.1, Norge Millenium Bookshelves.

I am seeing that my room size (10x7) is a constraint. So now I have decided to setup the system in my living room size (10'x16'). I will be sitting towards the 16 feet end. So it is a longer room. Room layout below:

Thanks hifipal4all, I will check out the Tanoy MF FS. But as they are FS will they be ok for my room size? (10'x16'). I will keep the interconnects and speaker cables in my notes, will help while buying :)

Regarding Active speakers, will the be good for the 10x16 room?
All that matters to me is SQ. period. so if they sound better I may as well go for them :)

avidyarthy, I will check the Topping amp.

wgl, I will check out the DNM speakers.

Thanks to All again, for your are educating me for good! May the music Gods bless you! ;) :thumbsup:

Hoperfully it will help me get closer to music & help understand and enjoy it more! :yahoo:

:signthankspin:
Warm regards,
Rohit

The KEF Q300 is very good and is around 30K most places. It pairs well with Marantz PM6004 (30K), Yamaha A-S500 (25K) and this combo should sound best but will exceed your budget. Marantz PM5004 is an entry level amp and not recommended and instead you should go for PM6004 or else go with Norge 1000. Also, check out the Yamaha A-S500 (around 25K) good bang for buck.

I'm sure a couple of HFV members at Pune have Usher... S520 (23K) and also V-601 (35K). I've PMed one of them as I was considering the V-601 which was recommended to me for excellent soundstage. Search for Usher in this forum search/or Google and you should get those threads... PM the members and see if you can visit for an audition of both Ushers.

Wharfedale + Norge is a good combo. Norge 1000 is an able amp that will drive floorstanders comfortably so it should not be a problem using this amp with other speakers... but do audition (if possible) for synergy and see if its a good fit. The Wharfedale + Norge combo is good and many on this forum have this setup.

I have not heard the Topping amp (4K) but the reviews for it are very good. I believe one of the members is using it with Usher S520.

Have not heard Tannoy, Quad or DNM so cannot say anything about them.

PS - I would recommend (if you can) increasing the budget for the KEF Q300 + Marantz PM6004 or Yamaha A-S500 combo.

Oops.. so the amps increase my so called "budget" ;) further by another 10-15k.. Man! Life can be funny! ;)

It would nice to know who are the Pune members? Its always handy to know.

OK, nice to know Usher @ 23k - finally something below the 30k mark.. "sigh of relief".. I think by now you may be able to guess what I might be going through due to my budget crisis ;)

I will anyways be demoing the Wharf+Norge combo at Aquarious coming saturday.

Wow.. the Usher S520 + Topping amp (pricing wise) is way too tempting but just want to hold my nerve here ;) Come one.. there has to be some "catch" or a "*" somewhere here? :)

PS - I would recommend (if you can) increasing the budget for the KEF Q300 + Marantz PM6004 or Yamaha A-S500 combo.

This is like Dejavu.. I have been here before.. :) I have numerous number of times gone through this while buying my gadgets be it my DSLR or other gadgets ;) This is a pit which never fills up. I start with some figure and soon the figure keeps growing "exponentially". :D That is the fun part.

I started with 20-25 k -> went to 30k -> bumped it a little to 40K -> consoled myself for 45 -> got ready for 50k -> now am in the 60k levels. Im already drowning :)
Just narrated this funny situation which I have been through many times :)

I am sure even if I had a million bucks this pattern would still prevail! Such is life... :)

But as is said "If you have a dream.. you got to protect it..." haha :D

Wow.. the Usher S520 + Topping amp (pricing wise) is way too tempting but just want to hold my nerve here ;) Come one.. there has to be some "catch" or a "*" somewhere here? :)

Absolutely no catch here .... too many people using the Topping in this Forum!

BTW, Usher-520 is 'just about' a good match with that puny amp. It still costs 23K for the Usher. The JBL Control 1 is about the very best with the Topping ... @ 7.5K (not because, since I am using it ...). Quite obvious, you have NOT read the Topping thread in full ... it looks it!

I don't blame you for that ... even I had passed through the same situation as you are in today. If one has a specific budget in mind, HE always feels more comfortable in spending 'that' much, and anything less is percieved to be of a lesser quality ........ :p

haa haa :lol::lol::lol: .. we have all been there Rohit ...

Anyway if you want to audition the B&W, Wharfdale, Arcam, Denon, Rotel, JBL, Rythmik, Altec, Pioneer etc.
You are free to drop by my house.

Cheers

I don't blame you for that ... even I had passed through the same situation as you are in today. If one has a specific budget in mind, HE always feels more comfortable in spending 'that' much, and anything less is percieved to be of a lesser quality ........ :p

And i guess you are still in the same situation now. :lol::lol::lol:
You now have a monster Krell lying idle waiting for a suitable mate.:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

And along with you I am still searching for a Preamp I have been increasing my budget by the hour.
Indulgence in HiFi is not really a good thing. especially on the WALLET :mad:

I started with 20-25 k -> went to 30k -> bumped it a little to 40K -> consoled myself for 45 -> got ready for 50k -> now am in the 60k levels. Im already drowning :)

Agreed. But the KEF + Marantz combo will satisfy you for a while and you will upgrade (and see benefits) only near the 1.5-2 lac mark post this combo.

Norge + Wharfedale... you will want to upgrade in a couple of months.

That's the reason I would "recommend" increasing the budget for the KEF + Marantz combo. It will easily last you a while before "upgrade-itis" hits you.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back