Amp + Speakers for pure music listening. [Budget: 30-40k]

Anyway if you want to audition the B&W, Wharfdale, Arcam, Denon, Rotel, JBL, Rythmik, Altec, Pioneer etc.
You are free to drop by my house.

Thanks Flash for being such a gentleman! :)
Having passionate about music, it would be very interesting to observe how these various hifi equipments function. Having qualified only with an ear for music "kaansen" and being a novice in the "hifi world" this indeed looks like an interesting prospect.
Especially so, since I too am on the verge of setting up a hifi system at home (everyone in my family are bitten by the music bug. It runs in the family right from the LP days ;) ) this will really help us make our music life better!

Please feel free to take the role of a guide and it would indeed be a pleasure & honor to accept your invitation for same. Thanks again! :)

Humble regards! :)

Thanks "musicbee" for the pointers. Yes, I completely agree that a long term solution is always more sustainable and enjoyable :)
I did have a read of the Topping thread (partially I must confess... it is just too long and my brain was getting overclocked by the loads of info :) ) to get a fair idea. Now it more of a question between the head and the heart.. ;)

Reason for the query was that I was just wondering if it is as simple as:
"Usher" and "Toppings" Marry and then they live happily ever after" :D

Would be interesting to see how the usher + topping sounds just for educating myself more on this path... Will try to get in touch with our Pune friend you have referred to. Thanks again! Cheers!

hi
i was looking in the forum to get good advise for buying a small music set up at my home where i will be hearing basically carnatic,hindustani,instumental music and old hindi songs .so when i was rummaging through i find you are the person to recommend something for me
my budget could be stretched up to 30k(lesser the better)and our room is 24ft/14ft .source is a panasonic BP
i have zeroed in on TOPPING TP20 ,please suggest compatible speakers for me
best regards and thanks in advance

Thanks Flash for dropping by yesterday for the auditions at SoundFactor. It was a nice experience.. :) Good to start off with..

Cheers! :)

Thanks Flash for dropping by yesterday for the auditions at SoundFactor. It was a nice experience.. :) Good to start off with..

Cheers! :)

soundfactor at e street has a gr8 audition room with active chairs, experience it one, its fun

which equipments you guys auditioned ?

soundfactor at e street has a gr8 audition room with active chairs, experience it one, its fun

which equipments you guys auditioned ?

We did not audition the setup down since Rohit's primary intention was Stereo. So we were upstairs the entire time

We did have a go at

Revel BS M22 - Rs1,30,000
Advance Acoustic BS K3 - Rs 26,000
JBL BS Studio 130 - Rs 15000
DALI FS - 54,000k
JBL FS Studio 190 - 35,000
Mission - 22k
Def Tech Bipolar FS - 1,75,000

Cyrus CDP
Advance Acoustic Integrated MAX 450 - 70,000 and MAX 250

We heard a 5.1 for a very short time 5 minutes probably
we watched 'the dark Knight'
using the JBL studio 190, JBL ES250PW, JBL Studio 140C center and surrounds

We also had a go of the Violet 3D wireless

AVR used was Yamaha 471

thats cool, I find the store guy friendly there, so any good stereo set you guys selected ? with a good BS maybe

thats cool, I find the store guy friendly there, so any good stereo set you guys selected ? with a good BS maybe

The Dali's were I would say the pick of the lot although they were FS, The Advance Acoustic BS was a letdown,
The JBL Studio 190 was pretty decent and had good detail so was the JBL BS considering its price.
The best sounding was the Def tech however the FS were priced at 1,75,000 so over his budget

The Advance acoustic MAP 450 is a very good integrated. but at 70k is pricey again. They have a warmish signature. Intrument seperation and depth could have been better
No, I guess it is too soon for him to decide. He is planning on going to AvXcellence / Aquarius next weekend to audition some more.

The Violet 3D was a letdown. very compressed sound But considering we heard the entire gamut of stereo setups ranging from 15k to 1.75l Speakers and amps 40k - 70k . I can't really be critical of Violet 3D.
They were mated to the Yamaha AVR and we heard a Celine Dion Concert.

I am pretty sure after hanging out with me yesterday he is more confused than ever:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
well, I heard the celine dion concert there as well when I went there :)

I guess they dont have Dali BS and those are the ones to look for I guess heard and read a lot about them

yeah have a round in avexcellence, they have good collection and aquarious as well but they dont have many options

I am looking myself to hear some Dali BS in pune, any idea where I could get them ?

I have been looking for a similar stereo solution at around the same budget as the OP. I have seen some people talk about the Topping T20 Amp. What is the difference between an Amp like the Topping T20 and say a Norge 1000

Nicely summarized Flash with all the details! :) (You have a very nice memory I must say ;) )

Yes, either I am confused or expanded my 'gyan' which leads to further confusion. haha.. (pun intended)

My picks:
1. Def Tech Bipolar (wow what speakers.. and price is also wow..)
2. Dali FS - very balanced and detailed.
3. JBL (with the sub)

Worth mentioning their HT demo room is pritty cool..

Alas there were no Dali BS.
Will check out avexc.. and aquarios maybe some time later..

Cheers!

Nicely summarized Flash with all the details! :) (You have a very nice memory I must say ;) )

Yes, either I am confused or expanded my 'gyan' which leads to further confusion. haha.. (pun intended)

My picks:
1. Def Tech Bipolar (wow what speakers.. and price is also wow..)
2. Dali FS - very balanced and detailed.
3. JBL (with the sub)

Worth mentioning their HT demo room is pritty cool..

Alas there were no Dali BS.
Will check out avexc.. and aquarios maybe some time later..

Cheers!

Rohit. The JBL FS was powered by the Yamaha 471 (base model) which I feel is iindequate to drive large FS. The JBL FS with a better higher powered AVR would have sounded a lot better with a better bass response
The Deftech was played using a Denon 3312. so that could have been the difference

well, I am glad you guys liked the def tech :)

I completely forgot Sajid that you have the Deftech Procinema 800.:clapping::clapping:

The Deftech FS is really good. But 1,75,000 opens a lot of other options Focal, MA, Wharfedale Jade 5 (not heard them but very good reviews from the FM's who were at the mumbai meet),

yeah even the soundfactor had procinema 800 setup in their demo room

yeah but that price for a FS is toooo hugee

any idea where I could listen to KEF and Dali BSs ?

yeah even the soundfactor had procinema 800 setup in their demo room

yeah but that price for a FS is toooo hugee

any idea where I could listen to KEF and Dali BSs ?

I may be getting the KEF Q300 for a house audition next week. Once I am done take it from me. try it out with your existing setup for a day and return it back to me
Dali's BS... Not too sure where in Pune they are available .
But probably Avxellence. However I doubt it

thats great and again helpful of you :)

do you think if I just remove my existing deftech satellites and put this one will it be good enough ?

thats great and again helpful of you :)

do you think if I just remove my existing deftech satellites and put this one will it be good enough ?

I would advise you NOT to do that .
if you are planning on replacing your front def tech speakers with the KEF Q300. it will not be tonally matched with your center channel speaker. So you will notice a major change in sound signature especially when watching Movies or any material which is in 5.1 channels.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back