AmpCom Ethernet Cable CAT7 improved streamer sound

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15865

I know there are some of you who scoff at the idea of digital cables impacting sound, if you are one, please excuse. But there are others like me whi trust our own ears and have found difference with better quality digital cables. Some attribute it to reduced jitter, I am not knowledgeable there. But am happy with my Nordost digital Coaxial.

Bt this post aisn’t about that. It’s about the Ethernet cable. Since I bought Cambridge CXNV2 a few months back, I’ve been using an old yellow coloured hardware shop quality cable that Was lying with me from the days of Ethernet connections to PC (pre wifi). I didn’t give it much thought. But recently I moved the position of my router further away and wanted a longer cable, so was reading reviews of branded Ethernet cables. And I narrowed down on the AmpCom CAT7 cable. I found it cheaper at eBay (link below) than on Amazon, and ordered it.

it’s at a pretty reasonable $6.99. After some wait, it arrived today. I plugged it into my router and streamer and could notice a difference. First I couldn’t quite pinpoint what had improved. But after a couple of hours of run in, and listening to an entire TIDAL playlist I use for calibration, I could understand what had improved. It‘s the timing!

Especially when I played some Abhangs, which are rhythm rich, and the speedy Ghazal song, Yeh Bahar keh Rahi Hain, it was quite clear. The drums and other percussions were a lot tighter and speedier, and the songs gave the feeling of better timing. Even the vocals feel more musical as a result. Is it reduced jitter? I don’t know. But the enjoyability of streamed songs has gone up. And TIDAL SQ is now that much closer to the CDs I play on my CXC (via the streamer’s DAC).

Anyone else has seen a similar improvement with Ethernet cable upgrade?

Not tried changing Ethernet cable but I got similar improvements when I used a Ethernet switch to connect roon end point to roon server instead of using lan ports of the router
It was just a normal consumer grade switch.

Not tried changing Ethernet cable but I got similar improvements when I used a Ethernet switch to connect roon end point to roon server instead of using lan ports of the routerom a reagu
I have not had the chance to try out CAT 7 cables but yes i'm sure good quality ethernet cables do make a difference. I strongly agree with rikhav too . I would also take it a step forward saying that changing my ethernet switch from a regular one to a better one made a whole lot of a difference. Apparently using two of these switches in a daisy chain takes it to a different level but then for now i am happy with what i have.
cheers!
Anand

Anyone else has seen a similar improvement with Ethernet cable upgrade?

There is a noticeable difference when using CAT7 cables.
I had moved from Cat5 some years ago and found an improvement.

The improved shielding is one of the main reasons for the sound quality.
CAT7 uses Gigagate45 connectors which are a higher standard but I'm not sure about the effect on sound.
At the time I described the difference as being a reduction in the background hash.

The improvement is attributed to a better signal to noise ratio.
Apart from shielding, CAT7 also has improved bandwidth and transmission speed.

Regards

I have a similar experience,
I have installed a Etherenet switch at the HT socket which is connected to my Router, I changed the Connecting Cable (from Switch to Streamer) to Cat 7 and there was perceptible difference, Motivated by this experience I changed the Main house cabling to 6E (earlier it was Cat 5) which improved the resolution on Tidal a lot..
This Mostly Improved the 4K streaming and reduced buffer times were added bonus!

The Next Upgrade in pipeline is Adding a Linear PSU for my Etherenet Switch and Router.

I have a similar experience,
I have installed a Etherenet switch at the HT socket which is connected to my Router, I changed the Connecting Cable (from Switch to Streamer) to Cat 7 and there was perceptible difference, Motivated by this experience I changed the Main house cabling to 6E (earlier it was Cat 5) which improved the resolution on Tidal a lot..
This Mostly Improved the 4K streaming and reduced buffer times were added bonus!

The Next Upgrade in pipeline is Adding a Linear PSU for my Etherenet Switch and Router.

Wow, that’s a good idea (main house cable change). Let me explore that.

Not tried changing Ethernet cable but I got similar improvements when I used a Ethernet switch to connect roon end point to roon server instead of using lan ports of the router

Can you give a link? Also is it easy enough to connect/install the switch? Can you please post a pic of your router-switch assembly? Thanks.

There are so many LAN switches available
You just connect the router from it's LAN port to the switch and rest all your wired devices into the switch and you are done.
For your use no need to buy a manual configuration switch
A gigabit switch would be ideal.

There are even audiophile grade switches available but they are too pricey and even the regular consumer grade switches do make a difference.
So keep that for future

Something like this would do

I am purposely not confusing you with switches with fiber connections.

There are so many LAN switches available
You just connect the router from it's LAN port to the switch and rest all your wired devices into the switch and you are done.
For your use no need to buy a manual configuration switch
A gigabit switch would be ideal.

There are even audiophile grade switches available but they are too pricey and even the regular consumer grade switches do make a difference.
So keep that for future

Something like this would do

I am purposely not confusing you with switches with fiber connections.
Each one if done step by step does make a perceptible difference. I changed my regular switch to a decfirst followed by using a single mode fibre optic cable coming from a media converter which also adds to the listening experience . But the key is doing everything in steps so that u can feel the difference.
Cheers!
anand

Each one if done step by step does make a perceptible difference. I changed my regular switch to a decfirst followed by using a single mode fibre optic cable coming from a media converter which also adds to the listening experience . But the key is doing everything in steps so that u can feel the difference.
Cheers!
anand

Agree on that part. That's why suggested Sachin to get a basic switch for start.

Another related issue is the power supply to the Switch.
I changed the wall wort power supply with a clean line from an LPS.

It's been a while since but I remember the notes/transients having a more clarity and sustain at the top.
Without the LPS the notes and transients seemed smeared in comparison.

Thanks guys. Let me read up on the switches. Just wondering, isn’t it like adding another component? Won’t it add its own colour? Or does it do some filtering. I have a pretty capable ASUS (DSL-AC68U) modem. Will a switch improve upon it?

The modem you have does 3 things
Works as a DSL modem, wifi router and a lan switch for your wired connections.
Now if you tell one device just to deal with wired connections it would do better then a device which has to do 3 different things

I know my explanation is little childish but I am not getting the right words. Maybe someone who understands IT hardware can explain it in better words

Thanks guys. Let me read up on the switches. Just wondering, isn’t it like adding another component? Won’t it add its own colour? Or does it do some filtering. I have a pretty capable ASUS (DSL-AC68U) modem. Will a switch improve upon it?
I am a complete layman when it comes to technicalities ... I go purely by the output and the feel. How ever I just found this article on the switch I use and hope it answers some of your queries about using a switch.

Cheers
Anand

Does it make any difference in a scenario where the network is used to control an audio device than stream music.
Does a switch or they type of ethernet cable (UTP or STP) will make any difference to audio qualify.
Similarly will wifi be good enough in such a case.

On a few other forums, people have reported improvements in sound quality using the Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L switch

It is a discontinued model, but there were many available on Ebay, when I checked a few months ago (fairly inexpensive). I did not have time or inclination to experiment, so I gave it a pass (I am using a 24-port netgear switch with an in-built power supply).

------------

Another interesting experiment would be to try an upgraded power supply on the modem (to see if there is any improvement in Tidal streaming sound quality)

Another related issue is the power supply to the Switch.
I changed the wall wort power supply with a clean line from an LPS.

It's been a while since but I remember the notes/transients having a more clarity and sustain at the top.
Without the LPS the notes and transients seemed smeared in comparison.

Hi Nikhil,

Which LPS do you use on the switch?

Did you try a few different ones?

Aman

Which LPS do you use on the switch?

Did you try a few different ones?

I have the HDPlex LPS - using the 5V leg to power the switch.
Haven't tried anything else since as I decided to simplify things.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back