Amplifier/DAC for Sennheiser HD598SE

Meridian explorer is very CV good. If you or somebody visiting US get it. It's value for money. You can find reviews comparing it with other dacs

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

Meridian explorer is very CV good. If you or somebody visiting US get it. It's value for money. You can find reviews comparing it with other dacs

The advantage of Explorer is the portability. But, If one can compromise on the portability (OP is looking for a DAC for PC), it would be better to go Acoustic Portrait's DAC that has got launched recently (at a slightly higher price point ~20-22K vs Explorer's $200).

It has got a good feedback from FMs Aurobindo Saha and Arj here. The DAC is available on Ebay wi th free shipping all over India. Considering that it is both a DAC and network player, it is definitely worth the extra money over the Meridian Explorer DAC (if AP's DAC is better).

But, if you get a used Explorer DAC which should range between 6-7K, then it is definitely VFM (I too am in possession of a used Explorer DAC).

For a headphone in the Rs 20000 range amp dac should be in the 10000 rupees range. You can get stuff like o2 and odac in the 12000 range. O2 is for 6250 bucks on mass drop today or the basic dac amp from schitt audio or smsl.

New dragonfly( black one priced around 10k on Amazon) seems to be best bet with ESS 9051 chip which is highly regarded and it is very affordable. Definitely I will give it a try soon

The advantage of Explorer is the portability. But, If one can compromise on the portability (OP is looking for a DAC for PC), it would be better to go Acoustic Portrait's DAC that has got launched recently (at a slightly higher price point ~20-22K vs Explorer's $200).

It has got a good feedback from FMs Aurobindo Saha and Arj here

Note however AP' new dac has separate RCA channels at analog output side - not like a socket for combined L R jack of headphone. You will need a joiner cable. And it's just a dac and streamer and not an amp.

There is a possibility that AP may launch an headphone amp in 2 to 3 months

Thanks
Auro

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Viren from Lyrita Audio (Delhi) also makes tube headphone amplifiers. There are a couple of reviews of these online or in the forum. I think they are priced in the Rs 15K range.

P.S - I have not heard these - so am not able to comment on their quality. I have however, heard his other tube amps - 2A3 SET and GM70 SET, and both sounded wonderful driving his custom made speakers.

The Meridian explorer works really well with Sen 598 SE on the PC. I have the 598 and use this combo. I am selling a Meridian Explorer in the for sale section if interested. Buying a Chord Mojo else would not be selling the Meridian.

Dragonfly Red is also a good match.

The Senn's need power. Go with anything that has power. Schiit Audio may have something that would work. If you don't feed them power the highs sound dark and the bass is wooly. Hey make an amp known as the M3 in the US. It is a DIY amp but you do have people who sell them assembled. Very good amp if done right. Another amp that works well is Jan Meier's amps. He's based in Germany but will ship it to you.

Hi,

Acoustic Portrait has launched headphones amplifier. Combine that with Acoustic Portrait Swara Streamer and DAC .... Your chain is complete. You get a fantastic output. Headphones such as HD-598 has very very natural sound signature with chimes with Acoustic Portrait's design philosophy - Pure, Dynamic and Expressive. And price-wise it's good value for money.

The only issue I see with such set up is you get stationed in one place. My HD-598 is open back hence I prefer to use it indoors. However for mobility I use HD 429 or earphones with AudioQuest Dragonfly black DAC with my phone.

Thanks
Auro

Hi,

Acoustic Portrait has launched headphones amplifier. Combine that with Acoustic Portrait Swara Streamer and DAC .... Your chain is complete. You get a fantastic output. Headphones such as HD-598 has very very natural sound signature with chimes with Acoustic Portrait's design philosophy - Pure, Dynamic and Expressive. And price-wise it's good value for money.

The only issue I see with such set up is you get stationed in one place. My HD-598 is open back hence I prefer to use it indoors. However for mobility I use HD 429 or earphones with AudioQuest Dragonfly black DAC with my phone.

Thanks
Auro
Hello Auro, could you please add some pics?

Arunvivek, do take a look at DIY options - I just did the RPI 3 and Justboom amp, it was so terrific, I like the sound singature much better than the Ifi ones. I sincerely believe that the good amp need not be expensive.

Arunvivek, do take a look at DIY options - I just did the RPI 3 and Justboom amp, it was so terrific, I like the sound singature much better than the Ifi ones. I sincerely believe that the good amp need not be expensive.
Hello Manju, could you please elaborate on your set up? Probably as a separate thread in DIY section.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back