Amplifier Dilemma

Hi Psychotropic,

Congratulations on the amp. Please follow dinyaar's advice regarding placement, stacking, and cleaning. Personally I am against stacking or putting anything on top of any equipment. If you have blow clean, please do it very gently.

I guess most people clean up the RCA connectors and also the connectors at the back of electronics equipments on a monthly basis or so. The previous owner seemed not have done it. Diluted isoprpyl alcohol can be used, I think, but make sure no liquid drips inside. Please verify with other fellows before you apply anything other than gentle rubbing.

Regards.

he he, thanks for that. My wife unfortunately does not own any nail-polish remover (or nail polish for that matter) AFAIK, so i'll have the dubious distinction of being the first person in our household to buy nail-polish remover. Yay!

Would isopropyl alcohol also work?

2nd that.

To avoid the after-wrath of the invasion of cosmetics dept., other options i used are turpentine/thinner. They work clean with out a trace and is a lot cheaper than a branded nail polish remover in a fancy bottle!

A little off-topic but it's one of my favorite quick fix solutions second only to WD40 and Super Glue.

Cheers.

he he, thanks for that. My wife unfortunately does not own any nail-polish remover (or nail polish for that matter) AFAIK, so i'll have the dubious distinction of being the first person in our household to buy nail-polish remover. Yay!

Would isopropyl alcohol also work?

Yup anything with alcohol would work, but make sure it's used only on metal and not on plastic, wires, etc.

Psychotropic,
I use isopropyl alcohol.
You get different grade of isopropyl alcohol available at electronic spare parts shops. I personally use 2-propanol manufactured by Merck (99% isopropyl).
Regards,
Vasu

hey unleash_me, how easy is it to get WD-40 in India?

2nd that.

To avoid the after-wrath of the invasion of cosmetics dept., other options i used are turpentine/thinner. They work clean with out a trace and is a lot cheaper than a branded nail polish remover in a fancy bottle!

A little off-topic but it's one of my favorite quick fix solutions second only to WD40 and Super Glue.

Cheers.

I believe you will find it in almost all duty free shops or alleys of that sort. I have seen it in similar shops at National Market, Commercial St, Brigade Rd. in Blore.

5735x300px.jpg

May be a solution like this could avoid these type of oxidation in future. I'm not a huge fan of Russ Andrews or his noise reduction theories as such but a little bit of DIY on some cheap RCA connectors could be a fix.

1st of all congratulations on your new amp!

2nd Encouragement for Speaker hunt/ auditions

3rd waiting for the review of the entire music system setup

* Iso propyle alcohol is best as it vaporizes quickly and leaves no traces

Congratulations on the amp purchase, Psychotropic! Good luck on the speakers as well.

I have been meaning to listen to the Dali Lektors. It is only recently that Dalis have been made available here in Chennai. Do share your detailed thoughts about those speakers.

haan dude, but i honestly don't think a CD player generates enough heat to proscribe placing a 8" by 8" piece of granite on it. I'll wait for others to correct me though.

Aesthetics anyway i've thrown out of the window. I am not stacking, I am keeping them side by side. There's ventilation all around.

Vents or not the heat needs to radiate ... like the bonnet of a car :)

cheers

psychotropic,
Iso alcohol and WD 40 are available everywhere now. WD 40 is in fact made in India too and available in 2 sizes at most petrol pumps in bbay.
Corrosion (erosion of gold plating) on the RCA can be cleaned with either but that will not restore it(the plating i.e) but will work adequately.
Just let things dry before u re connect.
Rgds

Last edited:
photos pls!

haan dude, but i honestly don't think a CD player generates enough heat to proscribe placing a 8" by 8" piece of granite on it. I'll wait for others to correct me though.

Aesthetics anyway i've thrown out of the window. I am not stacking, I am keeping them side by side. There's ventilation all around.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back