Amplifier for a pair of vintage full range speakers

meprateek

Hi fivisionaries, :clapping:

I have a pair of vintage speakers of Philips Holland 1979 make. They were part of the Philips HI-Q International Stereo player Setup. I want a present day matching amplifier for them.
The driver is duo cone, full range in a sealed enclosure filled with glass wool. The diameter is 7.5". The continuous rating is 10watt r.m.s and impedance is 4ohms.

From my experience I can vouch that these speakers are sensitive. I guess they must have sensitivity of above 90dB. They have a tendency to portray every buzz and hum present in any low quality amp.
I have shortlisted two Norge amplifiers to match with them. They are Norge 1515 (15+15 watt - impedance not mentioned) and Norge 2030 (30+30 watt rms - impedance not mentioned)
Other concern is this; won't the 1515 run hot with these speakers at normal listening levels.

Please provide you valuable suggestions as to which amplifier should I go for. If you can suggest any other brand/model which can be a match, that will also be helpful.

Best Regards.

You could also look at one of the new class d amps if you are on a budget. i have one that you can try out if you are in mumbai. these things cost ~3k and are really good with high sensitivity speakers

You could also look at one of the new class d amps if you are on a budget. i have one that you can try out if you are in mumbai. these things cost ~3k and are really good with high sensitivity speakers

Interesting. What are the brands and models you have in mind?

This could make a great budget component if SQ is good.

Regards

The problem with class d amps is that there are few branded ones. Mostly they are based on the standard design with the only real difference being the quality of components used and the power supply. The one I have is sold by an ebay seller based in Chennai. Seems to use decent but not top class components. The SQ is pretty good, both in transparency and imaging. The one area of weakness seems to be the bass, which I think will benefit from a better power supply (currently using a laptop charger type adapter). I've been listening to this and the miniwatt with a pair of single driver DIY bookshelves over the last week or two. Still havent fully formed my views but initial impression is that the soundstage is better on the d-amp but its more laid back than the tube.

Hi Prateek,

Please can you post a few pictures of the speakers you have.I have a pair of philips hi-q 8" drivers lying around. I am planning to construct a cabinet for it.
Can you also post its dimensions?

Hi Prateek,

Please can you post a few pictures of the speakers you have.I have a pair of philips hi-q 8" drivers lying around. I am planning to construct a cabinet for it.
Can you also post its dimensions?

Hi Biyer,

Sorry for the late reply. Got the pictures which may help you. Couldn't get the dimension coz these are lying in my home town... check out the album at http://www.hifivision.com/members/meprateek-albums-full-range-wonders.html

And Thank You all for your help and suggestions.

Regards.

hai meprateek, u have shown sonodyne amp in one of picture. I would like to know whether this amp is still sold in stores. The amp looks good. What rms it has got?

Hey I do not think so .THis amp was history 10 years back! I know as I had this -it was my first amp in Hi-Fi Jouerney.

I bought this with and paired with Bose 201's !Sound was decent ( least for bose!)

Hi fivisionaries, :clapping:

I have a pair of vintage speakers of Philips Holland 1979 make. They were part of the Philips HI-Q International Stereo player Setup. I want a present day matching amplifier for them.
The driver is duo cone, full range in a sealed enclosure filled with glass wool. The diameter is 7.5". The continuous rating is 10watt r.m.s and impedance is 4ohms.

From my experience I can vouch that these speakers are sensitive. I guess they must have sensitivity of above 90dB. They have a tendency to portray every buzz and hum present in any low quality amp.
I have shortlisted two Norge amplifiers to match with them. They are Norge 1515 (15+15 watt - impedance not mentioned) and Norge 2030 (30+30 watt rms - impedance not mentioned)
Other concern is this; won't the 1515 run hot with these speakers at normal listening levels.

Please provide you valuable suggestions as to which amplifier should I go for. If you can suggest any other brand/model which can be a match, that will also be helpful.

Best Regards.

hI,
i am using philips full range dual cone speakers (Hi-Q) on open bafle. power : one is 15W RMS and the second is 25W RMS at 8ohms.sensitivity is 93dB. the final impedance is around 6Ohms(a bit less than that)
i use Yamaha RX V 361 for driving these. it is rated at 100W/C at 6 ohms.
I am not facing any problems whatsoever. got the AVR for 13.5K. when i bought it, i did not know what speakers i am going to use.. built my speaksr later. i rarely need to crank up the vol.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back