Amplifier for car subwoofer at home

Amansingh

Hello guys i want to run my jbl car subwoofer with my yamaha yht 1840. How can i do that . Are there any cheap amplifiers available to do that?

Your YHT 1840 has a Subwoofer Out so all you need now is an amplifier to feed the Sub Out signal to it and connect the Subwoofer with it. Now thing is, most HiFi amps are either Stereo or Multichannel(as my knowledge is limited, I don't know of any good mono block amps of HiFi grade) and very few support bridging. As your keyword here is cheap and you haven't mentioned your budget, your best bet would be to go for a PA amplifier. You can get good one from Ahuja for almost 10,000. Since it's a car JBL subwoofer, I'm assuming it's RMS rating would be almost 300W, so look for an amplifier with similar output.
I'm running 2 12inch JBL Subwoofers (300W RMS @ 4 ohms each) and 2 8inch Polk Audio subwoofers(180W RMS @8 ohms each) at home using a Crown XLS2502 amplifier. Raula pon lei es toh vadh hor kujh ni

Is it worth buying some 2 channel amp for this sub that i can get for 2-3k? Or is it better to buy some active sub like yamaha sw 050. Which option should i go for.? I mean how much will be tge difference between this sub and yamaha sub

Is it worth buying some 2 channel amp for this sub that i can get for 2-3k? Or is it better to buy some active sub like yamaha sw 050. Which option should i go for.? I mean how much will be tge difference between this sub and yamaha sub
It would help to get a better idea if which amplifier you are referring to is known. Yamaha SW050 is a basic active subwoofer that's optimal for Home Theater use. The JBL subwoofer is car subwoofer, best suited for Music usage. That being said, if you have an custom enclosure that's designed for it, according to it's Thiele-Small parameters, and powered properly, it can outperform Yamaha subwoofer without breaking a sweat.
Since you already have the JBL subwoofer and Yamaha HT receiver which has a dedicated subwoofer output, half of your work is already done.
All you need now is a good enclosure(if you don't have one already) and amplifier to power it.
Off the shelf enclosure and amplifier can be bought from Amazon for less than 10,000/- , the listed price of Yamaha SW050.
Moreover as a general thumb rule, bigger the cone area, lower the sub goes, so a 12 inch JBL will go lower than an 8 inch Yamaha subwoofer, as long as it gets sufficient power and proper enclosure. The Yamaha manual lists in specification the frequency response of SW050 to be 28-200HZ, while also mentioning 10% THD at 50W with 100Hz signal. In simpler terms this means that this sub is going to be all over the place, it's bass isn't going to be tight and low.
In short, since you already have a subwoofer, just need to power it properly, look for solution in that direction which will involve custom tuned enclosure and amplifier capable of running the subwoofer at it's rated levels with minimal distortion. Anything below 1% THD will be good.

Get an active HT sub. If you want to run the car sub, get a power amp from crown, emotiva, etc.

MaSh

It would help to get a better idea if which amplifier you are referring to is known. Yamaha SW050 is a basic active subwoofer that's optimal for Home Theater use. The JBL subwoofer is car subwoofer, best suited for Music usage. That being said, if you have an custom enclosure that's designed for it, according to it's Thiele-Small parameters, and powered properly, it can outperform Yamaha subwoofer without breaking a sweat.
Since you already have the JBL subwoofer and Yamaha HT receiver which has a dedicated subwoofer output, half of your work is already done.
All you need now is a good enclosure(if you don't have one already) and amplifier to power it.
Off the shelf enclosure and amplifier can be bought from Amazon for less than 10,000/- , the listed price of Yamaha SW050.
Moreover as a general thumb rule, bigger the cone area, lower the sub goes, so a 12 inch JBL will go lower than an 8 inch Yamaha subwoofer, as long as it gets sufficient power and proper enclosure. The Yamaha manual lists in specification the frequency response of SW050 to be 28-200HZ, while also mentioning 10% THD at 50W with 100Hz signal. In simpler terms this means that this sub is going to be all over the place, it's bass isn't going to be tight and low.
In short, since you already have a subwoofer, just need to power it properly, look for solution in that direction which will involve custom tuned enclosure and amplifier capable of running the subwoofer at it's rated levels with minimal distortion. Anything below 1% THD will be good.
Bro my sub is already in enclosure. Can u suggest any good amplifier for this sub? I dont want to spend much as i believe then it wud be better to buy active sub

And as u said it is good for music. I want sub for both movies and music. So how will jbl perform on movies

Bro my sub is already in enclosure. Can u suggest any good amplifier for this sub? I dont want to spend much as i believe then it wud be better to buy active sub
And as u said it is good for music. I want sub for both movies and music. So how will jbl perform on movies
4D Furnishers is a manufacturer/seller based in Delhi that sells cheap subwoofer amplifier on Amazon. Their amplifier is rated for 300W@4 ohms, 200W@8ohms. It costs 4-5000 but it's currently out of stock and will be restocked by 15th July.(I had a chat with the owner of the company a day ago when he informed me about the inventory update).
Now coming to your dual use purpose, the answer lies with your enclosure's tuning frequency. A good subwoofer that's geared towards home theater/movie watching use has good low frequency response, that is, it goes well below 25Hz. SVS subwoofers are known to hit 16Hz, thus do justice to opening scenes of "Edge of Tomorrow". So find out the tuning frequency of your enclosure. You can do it either by calculating the dimensions of the enclosure(Length,Breadth,Depth) and the port(Length,Width,Area) and then feeding those parameters to a software such as WinISD or website such as this Other way is to have rough measure by eyeballing it. For that you will need a frequency generator application which will send low frequency signal, to be played out by the subwoofer. Start from 30Hz and keep going up the spectrum till you come to a point where the cone movement is almost zero but air throughput from the port is maximum. These methods are for a ported enclosure. If your subwoofer is in a sealed enclosure then mesure it out to know the volume. If it's less than recommended than it won't perform well in any scenario. In case you have a sealed enclosure, sized according to it's T-S parameters then it would be good for music, OKish for movies because the lowest frequency it could reproduce would be limited to it's free air resonant frequency.
I know it's a lot to take in but if you want to adapt your car subwoofer for home use, it is going to require some work.
In short Veeray pehila woofer di peti nu vekho, awaaj ohi banaoogi. Je peti chaj di na hove ta fer kinna marji vadhia subwoofer la lo, osne vajna paate dhol vaangu e aa

My endeavor to use JBL subwoofer at home cost me more than a good active subwoofer but I did it to learn and have plenty of room for future upgrades. Giving you a brief idea below
2 12 inch JBL subwoofer 3000/- each
1 Slot ported enclosure of Dimensions 38x16x14(inches) made from 1inch thick MDF for dual 12s: 5000/-
Crown XLS2502 amplifier 29,000/-

This totals upto almost 38,000/- and for that much amount one can easily get BIC PL200 active subwoofer which can hit lower than my subwoofer setup but the SPL my setup delivers, can and does rearrange the furniture in the room.

Last edited:
4D Furnishers is a manufacturer/seller based in Delhi that sells cheap subwoofer amplifier on Amazon. Their amplifier is rated for 300W@4 ohms, 200W@8ohms. It costs 4-5000 but it's currently out of stock and will be restocked by 15th July.(I had a chat with the owner of the company a day ago when he informed me about the inventory update).
Now coming to your dual use purpose, the answer lies with your enclosure's tuning frequency. A good subwoofer that's geared towards home theater/movie watching use has good low frequency response, that is, it goes well below 25Hz. SVS subwoofers are known to hit 16Hz, thus do justice to opening scenes of "Edge of Tomorrow". So find out the tuning frequency of your enclosure. You can do it either by calculating the dimensions of the enclosure(Length,Breadth,Depth) and the port(Length,Width,Area) and then feeding those parameters to a software such as WinISD or website such as this Other way is to have rough measure by eyeballing it. For that you will need a frequency generator application which will send low frequency signal, to be played out by the subwoofer. Start from 30Hz and keep going up the spectrum till you come to a point where the cone movement is almost zero but air throughput from the port is maximum. These methods are for a ported enclosure. If your subwoofer is in a sealed enclosure then mesure it out to know the volume. If it's less than recommended than it won't perform well in any scenario. In case you have a sealed enclosure, sized according to it's T-S parameters then it would be good for music, OKish for movies because the lowest frequency it could reproduce would be limited to it's free air resonant frequency.
I know it's a lot to take in but if you want to adapt your car subwoofer for home use, it is going to require some work.
In short Veeray pehila woofer di peti nu vekho, awaaj ohi banaoogi. Je peti chaj di na hove ta fer kinna marji vadhia subwoofer la lo, osne vajna paate dhol vaangu e aa

My endeavor to use JBL subwoofer at home cost me more than a good active subwoofer but I did it to learn and have plenty of room for future upgrades. Giving you a brief idea below
1 Slot ported enclosure of Dimensions 38x16x14(inches) made from 1inch thick MDF for dual 12s: 5000/-

This totals upto almost 38,000/- and for that much amount one can easily get BIC PL200 active subwoofer which can hit lower than my subwoofer setup but the SPL my setup delivers, can and does rearrange the furniture in the room.
Yes bro that's lot to take in.

Bro its difficult to do all this. So i ill ask u simple question. I have two options. First is i can spend approx 5-6k on amp to run this car sub. And second is i can buy yamaha sw050 or sw100.
Which option should i go for.
Fyi my car sub is20181121-122602.jpg

Bro its difficult to do all this. So i ill ask u simple question. I have two options. First is i can spend approx 5-6k on amp to run this car sub. And second is i can buy yamaha sw050 or sw100.
Fyi my car sub is

Have you tried a car amp to drive the car sub? You could use something like this to power the car amp. 3DPrintronics WV01RCA07884 12V 30A 350W Power Supply

You could check OLX for a used car amp, I guess even a 2 channel amp in bridged mode should be able to drive that sub to its potential.

Doing this you would know whether to pursue this direction or change to something else for Bass duties.

MaSh

Fyi my car sub isView attachment 36895
I have the same subwoofer, 2 of them in fact and had the same enclosure intially. But since it's tuning frequency is quite high, it delivers loud and punchy bass. Due to that, it's reproduction of frequencies lower than 40Hz isn't good. Since you cannot go for new enclosure, don't waste money on getting an amplifier for it as during movies it won't be able to reproduce LFE properly. Thus if you are going to spend money then get the Yamaha NS-SW100. It will serve your purpose admirably for both music and movies. Just make sure that your HT receiver isn't configured to send just the LFE channel to the subwoofer. You'll need to refer your HT receiver manual for that.

I have the same subwoofer, 2 of them in fact and had the same enclosure intially. But since it's tuning frequency is quite high, it delivers loud and punchy bass. Due to that, it's reproduction of frequencies lower than 40Hz isn't good. Since you cannot go for new enclosure, don't waste money on getting an amplifier for it as during movies it won't be able to reproduce LFE properly. Thus if you are going to spend money then get the Yamaha NS-SW100. It will serve your purpose admirably for both music and movies. Just make sure that your HT receiver isn't configured to send just the LFE channel to the subwoofer. You'll need to refer your HT receiver manual for that.
Yes bro it is configured for lfe. So what now?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back