Amplifier protection

cooltoad

Hi folks,
Got a nad 320bee and waiting for my speakers. Tried the amp with my headphone a few times and y'day when i connected the amp to a 5 amp wall socket, after a couple of minutes, there was a sudden blast and spark from the amp and thought for a moment it would go up in smoke and even the invertor didnt work.BTW, the entire room has been rewired just now with proper earthing. Had to reset the invertor and then connected the amp (with a faster heartbeat) and thankfully the amp was working.

My question is whether the problem is due to connecting to a 5amp socket or has it got to do anything with the invertor line? Pl help me how to safely use the amp with precautions if any.I am scared to even plug the amp for now.

i think somewhere the positive and negative got joined causing a short circuit. Short circuits will create a spark and some noise but may not destroy equipment.

Thanks Sachin, guessed that could be the reason, but wasnt so sure, so just in case i need any other precaution...

Could be a faulty power point. Not uncommon.

What do you mean by invertor didnt work? You running your HiFI off a power backup inverter ?:eek:

Could be a faulty power point. Not uncommon.

What do you mean by invertor didnt work? You running your HiFI off a power backup inverter ?:eek:

No, not a dedicated hifi backup invertor. Problem is most likely due to some short circuiting.My question is does it make any diff if we connect the amp to 5 amp or 15 amps?

Did you check smell/smoke was not from amp?else becareful.
Sometime powerfluctuation & improper connection caused problem.
Similar happened with my AC ,when power came up(load shedding)& AC was on,I got similar sound ,smell & when checked ,AC power pin was not joined properly & AC was working.

No, not a dedicated hifi backup invertor. Problem is most likely due to some short circuiting.My question is does it make any diff if we connect the amp to 5 amp or 15 amps?

5 amp circuit is not sufficient to drive the load and may cause undue stress on the amp. Use atleast a 15 amp source esp. if you are connecting other components on the line. This could be causing a short. Also its a potential fire hazard since you may be putting undue load on the system. I would call an electrician to rewire. Its dangerous at best

5 amp circuit is not sufficient to drive the load and may cause undue stress on the amp. Use atleast a 15 amp source esp. if you are connecting other components on the line. This could be causing a short. Also its a potential fire hazard since you may be putting undue load on the system. I would call an electrician to rewire. Its dangerous at best

Thanks Marsilians, will use a 15 amp socket. Did the rewiring just recently. will have to call the elctrician to check the line again.Is it advisable to connect the amp to a junction box. I know it will be stupid with standard boxes. But any idea about a good junction box to take the load?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back