Amplifier speaker for stereo set up

Bhaskar Jyoti Talapatra

Hi
Friends
Prior to asking you some questions let me show you how I have been listening to music. I have an Audiotechnica LP 60 TT which I have connected to a pair of Philips floor standing 2 way speakers (Philips 9060B/94). Before it I used Philips hi q international record player and my primary source has been vinyl for so many years. Now I want to buy a separate amplifier and passive speakers for listening to my vinyl collections and will add a CDP ( I have a separate Sony hi-fi system for cds though). My questions are 1) will the sound signature change if I connect my TT to a separate amplifier and passive speakers? 2) which amplifier and speakers will be good to start with? My fav genres are Rabindrasangeet, Bengali modern songs ,Indian classical and Bollywood oldies. My listening room size is 13'×12'(approx). Though my first question appears to be very silly or idiotic, please throw some light of your valued knowledge on to it as I have been thinking about it but find no satisfactory answer.
NB sadly I have a tight budget of 50k for stereo set up and I am not so comfortable with used gears.

Hi
Friends
Prior to asking you some questions let me show you how I have been listening to music. I have an Audiotechnica LP 60 TT which I have connected to a pair of Philips floor standing 2 way speakers (Philips 9060B/94). Before it I used Philips hi q international record player and my primary source has been vinyl for so many years. Now I want to buy a separate amplifier and passive speakers for listening to my vinyl collections and will add a CDP ( I have a separate Sony hi-fi system for cds though). My questions are 1) will the sound signature change if I connect my TT to a separate amplifier and passive speakers? 2) which amplifier and speakers will be good to start with? My fav genres are Rabindrasangeet, Bengali modern songs ,Indian classical and Bollywood oldies. My listening room size is 13'×12'(approx). Though my first question appears to be very silly or idiotic, please throw some light of your valued knowledge on to it as I have been thinking about it but find no satisfactory answer.
NB sadly I have a tight budget of 50k for stereo set up and I am not so comfortable with used gears.
Hi Bhaskar,

To answer your first question, the sound signature will definitely change (for the better) if you connect your AT LP60 to a dedicated stereo Amp + passive speakers. The LP60's in built phono stage is pretty rudimentary and almost any external pre+power amp or integrated amp will be an improvement.

Given your budget, I can think of Marantz PM6006 that's got a MM phono input and a whole bunch of digital and analog inputs - will be ready for your CDP as well. I've heard it in combination with another Audio Technica TT ( don't remember the model) and the combination was very pleasing to the ears.
The PM6006 sells at under 30k new and the balance with a little stretch gives you plenty of options for very good bookshelf speakers :)
Edit -
Just thought of Fyne Audio FN302 tower speakers that are quite reasonable and sound great with the Marantz amp.

Cheers
Jayant

Last edited:
Hi Bhaskar,

To answer your first question, the sound signature will definitely change (for the better) if you connect your AT LP60 to a dedicated stereo Amp + passive speakers. The LP60's in built phono stage is pretty rudimentary and almost any external pre+power amp or integrated amp will be an improvement.

Given your budget, I can think of Marantz PM6006 that's got a MM phono input and a whole bunch of digital and analog inputs - will be ready for your CDP as well. I've heard it in combination with another Audio Technica TT ( don't remember the model) and the combination was very pleasing to the ears.
The PM6006 sells at under 30k new and the balance with a little stretch gives you plenty of options for very good bookshelf speakers :)
Edit -
Just thought of Fyne Audio FN302 tower speakers that are quite reasonable and sound great with the Marantz amp.

Cheers
Jayant
Hi
Jayant
Thank u for your valued suggestions. The first question has been disturbing me for some years and your logical answer has cleared my doubts. I have shortlisted marantz pm5005 and Dali spektor2 bs but will definitely ponder over pm6006 and Fyne audio towers. At present I have Philips towers(side firing woofers). Should I go for bs or budget fs? Do I require a sub for this set up?

The spektor 2 is a good choice as well. Need for a sub with music is a very personal taste driven need IMO. I've never felt the need with either my older bookshelves or current towers while spinning vinyl or CD. The practical choice would be to add it later (if at all) based on your listening experience.
I would lean towards a better pair of bs than budget towers since you're looking for an exclusive music setup.

@Bhaskar Jyoti Talapatra
Depending on your TT, you may need a phono stage.
While you may have reservations about used gear, it holds partly true for electronics.
Passive speakers are almost safe to buy used, provided there is no physical damage.
Good standmounts should be doable in your budget.
Keep your options open on speakers. Be patient.
Good luck on your hunt
Cheers,
Raghu

Dada,
1) Yes changing important components changes sound.
2) In your budget Marantz, Norge, Yamaha are good. Q Acoustics, Wharfedales etc. are good. Give priority to quality speakers.

So much depends on individual listening preference. And general consensus is as you move up for quality product (usually more expensive) the difference in SQ are small. So best is to set budget (You have already done so) and listen and buy. Measured performance though favourite whipping boy for some is important criteria to tell about company and their attitude towards making a product. Remember expensive does not mean better but also remember cheap does not mean they are good even if you like sound. Because assurance of warranty and appreciation of well made product is also good approach. (My Gujju thinking is >Set Budget > Browse/Listen to as many system as possible > Sort out few that you like > and go for one which is overall best even if you have to spend a 'little more' *) Dont go for blind purchase. Do not buy single component/s. Take Informed decision. Take your time.

* Purely my personal opinion as spending more on things we like gives us happiness. Kind of like guilty pleasure. Bargaining and discounts are icing on cake :p

Regards :)

@Bhaskar Jyoti Talapatra
Depending on your TT, you may need a phono stage.
While you may have reservations about used gear, it holds partly true for electronics.
Passive speakers are almost safe to buy used, provided there is no physical damage.
Good standmounts should be doable in your budget.
Keep your options open on speakers. Be patient.
Good luck on your hunt
Cheers,
Raghu
Hi
Raghu
Thanks a ton for your wise suggestions. Yes I do have reservation as regards used electronics. Because I am not so tech savvy. If the used gear triggers some problems, I can't fix those on my own .In 2017 I bought an used Technics TT and suffered a lot. As the adage goes a burnt child dreads the fire, I want to stay away from the used electronics. But as an expert( like you )says, l can gather courage and take a plunge. In some previous post you have mentioned 8 ohms speakers for stereo set up so my choice will be bookshelf Speakers of 8 ohms . Would you please tell which bs should be good for marantz integrated amplifier? Please keep in mind that I have some space constraints in placing the bs. One more question, can I keep the TT upon the amplifier?

Last edited:
Dada,
1) Yes changing important components changes sound.
2) In your budget Marantz, Norge, Yamaha are good. Q Acoustics, Wharfedales etc. are good. Give priority to quality speakers.

So much depends on individual listening preference. And general consensus is as you move up for quality product (usually more expensive) the difference in SQ are small. So best is to set budget (You have already done so) and listen and buy. Measured performance though favourite whipping boy for some is important criteria to tell about company and their attitude towards making a product. Remember expensive does not mean better but also remember cheap does not mean they are good even if you like sound. Because assurance of warranty and appreciation of well made product is also good approach. (My Gujju thinking is >Set Budget > Browse/Listen to as many system as possible > Sort out few that you like > and go for one which is overall best even if you have to spend a 'little more' *) Dont go for blind purchase. Do not buy single component/s. Take Informed decision. Take your time.

* Purely my personal opinion as spending more on things we like gives us happiness. Kind of like guilty pleasure. Bargaining and discounts are icing on cake :p

Regards :)
Hi
Hiten da
Thanks for your opinion. I have already been showered with so many wise suggestions. Really I am enlightened. Yes as you suggest, I am not in a hurry. Rather I shall search for a good/decent set of BS and then settle upon an integrated stereo amplifier with in my budget. I would like to have a neutral or warm sound signature. I have already told the genres that I like. So please advise which bs should be fine with marantz pm5005 or pm6006?
Regards

Last edited:
One more question, can I keep the TT upon the amplifier?
Not a good idea. Heat dissipation from the AVR, EMF from transformer, distortion due to feedback,...all really bad for the TT.
Unless you have a big enough shelf to separate the two. FM @magma is likely to have an isolation solution to do that for you.

Good luck with the speaker hunt. Go with the PM6006 :)

Not a good idea. Heat dissipation from the AVR, EMF from transformer, distortion due to feedback,...all really bad for the TT.
Unless you have a big enough shelf to separate the two. FM @magma is likely to have an isolation solution to do that for you.

Good luck with the speaker hunt. Go with the PM6006 :)
Thanks again for your advices. So I should keep both the TT and the amp side by side. I need some time to get the entire set. First audition then will decide which one to buy.
Regards

Bhaskarda,
Honestly I have no personal experience so can not recommend. Marantz PM6006 is good. Earlier I used to save all amp and speaker measurements links. Marantz did very well. But those links are deleted. Its DAC will be usefull in future.
Bookshelf : Qacoustics, wharfedales are well reviewed. Look for good low frequency extensions. Knock on enclosure to feel if they are well made, heavey and damped. Elac, PSBs are also well regarded offerings in your budget. Do listen to variety of music even if you dont listen to them. It will give you idea of speakers capabilities
Regards.

Back