Amplifier speaker & selector switch with budget stereo amp

My Amplifier and Speakers DIY selector switch. The box bought from Amazon.

Attachments

• Amp spkr  selecor1.jpeg
    Amp spkr selecor1.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Amp spkr  selecor2.jpeg
    Amp spkr selecor2.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Amp spkr  selecor3.jpeg
    Amp spkr selecor3.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 49
I have no clue how to do that. Any tip would help. I have done plenty of google search and I see most of these enclosures available on Aliexpress, but what is available in India are with fixed controls (usually volume + bass + treble).
If it is for small dimension projects, you may use aluminum flat and angles.
75mm or 100mm flat bars are commonly available in stores (those that stock parts for aluminum shuttering)
For angles, you may use 15/20/25mm equal angles.
Choose thickness not more than 6mm, if not it will be difficult to drill holes.
These are sold by kilogram, you may have to buy some minimum quantity like 5 or 6 feet length.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
I have no clue how to do that. Any tip would help. I have done plenty of google search and I see most of these enclosures available on Aliexpress, but what is available in India are with fixed controls (usually volume + bass + treble).
I used plastic box , that came with Amul ice-cream. The reason behind using plastic is its easy to work with. Small iron rod or thick nails, pliers and kitchen gas stove is all that is needed. With aluminum , chances of shorting, special drills or taps are needed and cleaning of burs after work is done. Aluminum enclosures are useful in making amps as they provide thermal cooling and protect from RF interference. One can also try with scrap set-top boxes. , no drilling holes for RCA connectors as it already has it.

Last edited:
Reviving this thread. I am looking to build an amp changer and would like to know the voltage and current ratings for the switches used.

Thanks for the information. I am assuming that voltage wise anything rated for 120V or more should be fine?

Is it a good idea to use relays with similar rating? This way, I can add a remote or some sort of external trigger mechanism to switch on the fly.

On the other hand, I was also thinking if it makes sense to build a very simple manual switcher with binding post sets for two sources and one output load. If the output set is placed in the center row, I can make simple jumpers with dual banana plugs or short wires to connect any one of the input sets to the output at any time. This should, theoretically, be the better option when considering signal degradation and mechanical wearing of the switches over time.

Lastly, in your experience, does the switch introduce any audible noise/distortion or any other type of sound quality degradation over time?

Is it a good idea to use relays with similar rating
Relays idea also good but need external power to operate the relays.
On the other hand, I was also thinking if it makes sense to build a very simple manual switcher with binding post sets for two sources and one output load
It's a very good idea.
in your experience, does the switch introduce any audible noise/distortion or any other type of sound quality degradation over time?
I didn't find any sq degradation. If we use same speaker wires for the switch internal wiring or jumpers, i think SQ would remain same.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back