Amplifier speaker & selector switch with budget stereo amp

manindra.mukherjee

I have gone through some similar threads on this forum but still thought of asking forum members here on what best can be done. I have a Yamaha v375 AVR connected to a 5.1 setup . The front are Sonodyne 1510V3 BS. While this setup serves me well for movie and general purpose TV watching , is there something that can be done to boost stereo performance with minimal investment. Since the AVR lacks any pre out , the next best option that i could think of is a dedicated stereo amplifier with a amplifier / speaker selector switch . I had a few queries and would be keen to hear views from FMs

- I would not want to spend anything over 10K for the stereo amplifier (new or used). Will a budget amplifier be worth an upgrade with noticeable gain for stereo as compared to what my AVR delivers

- What options do I have within my budget . Used or New

- For amplifier selector switch , what options are available offline / online. Any local store in Mumbai where I can buy

I think under 10k you may have to take the used stuff detour.

Norge is the best that comes up in mind, when looking for musical amplifier on a budget.

Used Norge 2030 or 2060 can be had under 10k and are bang for bucks.

Speaker / Amplifier selector can be DIYed easily. I am sure many FMs have already opted for the DIY route

If Sonodyne 1510V3 BS are sensitive (87+), I would recommend Class D (Allo amps are good) within 10K.

Hi Mahindra,

Like @frend2001 suggested, Norge are good and super cheap. You can look at other brands too.
Just saw your location shows Kolkata but you in Mumbai?
You will get many IAs in Mumbai there is one well known person who sells used gear by name of ganesh on OLX. Most of them are around your budget.
There is one Brand called as Soundking, has IAs starting from 5k. Never heard them but have a look.

I have this speaker selector with me if you are interested.
20220126_221845_copy_900x1600.jpg
20220126_221849_copy_900x1600.jpg20220126_221855_copy_900x1600.jpg

I also have ordered this speaker selector from Monoprice.

Hi Mahindra,

Like @frend2001 suggested, Norge are good and super cheap. You can look at other brands too.
You will get many IAs in Mumbai there is one well known person who sells used gear by name of ganesh on OLX. Most of them are around your budget.
There is one Brand called as Soundking, has IAs starting from 5k. Never heard them but have a look.

View attachment 66750
View attachment 66749View attachment 66748

Thanks for the details. Regarding the switch , I am looking for a amplifier selector switch and what I understand from the pics is a speaker selection switch. I would want to connect a stereo amp and avr to the same bookshelf speakers.

Thanks for the details. Regarding the switch , I am looking for a amplifier selector switch and what I understand from the pics is a speaker selection switch. I would want to connect a stereo amp and avr to the same bookshelf speakers.
The connector does not know if the common connector is amp or speaker. Cam be used either way.
But these type of connectors will degrade sound. Either go for a good relay based switcher (which will cost money) or simply switch banana plugs at speaker post which is much easier.

Hi Mahindra,

View attachment 66750
View attachment 66749View attachment 66748

Amrutji, How you will use this Monoprice speaker selector ?

will you be connecting speakers in zone 2 or front L and R connected to AVR and IA, using this and you select whenever u use any one ?

TIA

The connector does not know if the common connector is amp or speaker. Cam be used either way.
But these type of connectors will degrade sound. Either go for a good relay based switcher (which will cost money) or simply switch banana plugs at speaker post which is much easier.
good relay based switcher

can you pls name any good one and where we can get it ?

simply switch banana plugs at speaker post which is much easier.
This is a best way.

Amrutji, How you will use this Monoprice speaker selector ?

will you be connecting speakers in zone 2 or front L and R connected to AVR and IA, using this and you select whenever u use any one ?

TIA
I won't be using it, had some money in amazon account so got it. Can be used someday.

It works like, one amp and multiple speakers. Or vice versa.

This is a best way.

I won't be using it, had some money in amazon account so got it. Can be used someday.

It works like, one amp and multiple speakers. Or vice versa.
Thanks for the response

This is a best way.

Will frequent switch of banana plugs could cause any issue in the long run for the speaker post ?

Relay is a kind of a switch that works on electromagnetic principle. Normally it's a sealed mechanism, which makes it immune to atmospheric corrosion , resulting in better contacts. Cheapest relays can perform better than expensive switches.

Attachments

• IMG20220227121648_03.jpg
    IMG20220227121648_03.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 44
Relay is a kind of a switch that works on electromagnetic principle. Normally it's a sealed mechanism, which makes it immune to atmospheric corrosion , resulting in better contacts. Cheapest relays can perform better than expensive switches.
Thanks for your response !!

My diy approach
What a coincidence. It was just today I was asking my wife for this kind of container from her kitchen. When she came to know the purpose, she refused. Now I have to go to the market to buy one. Earlier my plan was to use an enclosure with aluminium front and back plates. But the plastic enclosure will be easier to work with.

Why don't you build your own aluminium enclosure?
Cheers,
Raghu
I have no clue how to do that. Any tip would help. I have done plenty of google search and I see most of these enclosures available on Aliexpress, but what is available in India are with fixed controls (usually volume + bass + treble).

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back