Amplifier - Stereo or AV Receiver

Manpreet

Hi Folks,
I'm a pure music lover and listener with sharp ears for it. Currently my audio setup for my car is:
Pioneer MP3 player
JBL GTO75.4 (4 Channel amp)
Infinity Kappa 693.7i oval speakers
Infinity Kappa tweeters
Infinity Reference Subwoofer in a box

I'm happy with its performance as its giving clear crisp and gud deep bass.

Now I'm looking for setting up a music system for my home. As i wont be watching movies often, my main aim is for pure music listening purpose. I've done little bit of home work and am confused whether to go for a stereo amplifier or a an AV receiver.
The salesman told me that in AV receiver you get a option for pluggin in a subwoofer and also many audio settings for suiting your listening requirements.
I also read in some of the threads that a stereo amp gives more clear and good sound as compared to AV receiver.
Can my seniors in this forum advice me in building my system. Anyways presentlyI'm also having a yamaha RXV465 receiver. Will this AV receiver be fine or i need to go for a stereo amplifier.

Thanks in advance for your expert opinion.

Regards
Manpreet

Hi:

First, welcome, have a great time. Second, a dedicated integrated amp and cd player is the way to go if you really love your music, rest are all just compromise, and I think you don't prefer the latter. Very good decent budget amp and cdps are in the market for your liking, great way to start.

:)

Thanks Vinod for your prompt reply and valuable inputs. I checked the integrated amps, they are bit costly and might go out of my budget. Here I'm confused on whether to use my existing AV receiver (yamaha-RXV465) or go for a seperate stereo amplifier to get a clear, crisp & deep bass.
First i want to finalise my amp then i'll go for the speakers selection preferably Jamo.

Thanks in advnce
Manpreet Singh

Welcome to the Forum, Friend :). As you already own a Yammy A/V receiver, how about getting a cdp+stereo amp as Vinod suggested. What is your total budget?

EDIT: What speakers and source you are using with RXV465??

Last edited:
ideally the best set up for 2 channel music is a stereo system - 2 speakers, 2 channel amp and a cdp. whether you want to use your yam amp in your set up will be upto your budget. imo you should choose the speakers first and then a suitable amp to go with it and then the cdp, assuming you are buying a new amp. the other way to go about it is to buy the speaker that you like and use the current amp for now and at a later stage buy your desired amp. with your current amp a decent dvd player will suffice imo

Hi,
thanks for the response. I'm having the AV receiver, which was gifted to me, its lyin packed in a box. I'm not having any speakers yet. I'm planning to build music the system. I have a option whether to use the AV receiver or exchange it for a 2channel amp. What do u suggest? For getting a better audio quality this Yamaha AV reciever is enough ar shall i go for a 2 channel amplifier.
If this AV receiver is decent enough as an amplifier then I'll start shortlisting the speakers.

Regards
Manpreet

As You have mentioned in your first post (not interested in watching movies, only music set-up) ,its a better idea to trade your Yam RXV to a decent 2 channel amp. What about the source (Player)??

Last edited:
source player, i can go for a sony/pioneer dvd player, also can use laptop.
Is yamaha RX-497 a decent amp? or any other option u suggest.

Hi,
I think one option could be
1) buy speakers
2) see if you like the sound with your AVR
3) if you are happy, keep it, if not, get a stereo amp.(you should give a fair trial)

I am using RXV 361 as amp( I use 'front in' of the multichannel input. in this mode, all tone controls and DSPs are disabled and the AVR works as a power amp).Give it a try.
I have repeatedly read that stereo amp is better than AVR for music. That might be true. somehow, I still cannot make up my mind in buying a stereo amp even though my use is >95% for music as I find the music quite satisfying even with AVR. (i know that people will say that to understand the difference between good stereo amp and AVR, you need a matching source and better speakers. )

Agree with Jaudere's 3 points :). Try this and post your experience . Best thing is, take your AVR to the Demo place and demo the speakers in your budget and decide.

Hi,
i had a demo of the Yamaha AVR and 2 channel amp, and could'nt find the voice quality satisfying my level. I feel that the speakers from Yamaha are not so good. So am not able to finalise the option between AVR and 2 channel amp.
Will check the combination with some other pair of speakers.

Hi,
i had a demo of the Yamaha AVR and 2 channel amp, and could'nt find the voice quality satisfying my level. I feel that the speakers from Yamaha are not so good. So am not able to finalise the option between AVR and 2 channel amp.
Will check the combination with some other pair of speakers.

Hi,
I think Yamaha speakers are not at all good. Try the AVR with Mission M34i or M35i, i think you will get what you want.

If you are in mumbai, you can go to Vijay sales prabhadevi. They stock both , yamaha AVRs as well as Mission speakers. You won't need to carry your AVR to the shop. But don't forget to carry your own CDs whenever and wherever you go for audition.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am using RXV 361 as amp( I use 'front in' of the multichannel input. in this mode, all tone controls and DSPs are disabled and the AVR works as a power amp).Give it a try.

Power amp or integrated amp ? Please elaborate...

Hi,
I think Yamaha speakers are not at all good. Try the AVR with Mission M34i or M35i, i think you will get what you want.

If you are in mumbai, you can go to Vijay sales prabhadevi. They stock both , yamaha AVRs as well as Mission speakers. .

Well I was there this Thursday,Demo guys are very lazy even though they are free.I has to ask 3 times & then got a short Demo.

Power amp or integrated amp ? Please elaborate...

:confused:??I think I am right in saying power amp. In that setting, i can have only volume control(same as gain control on power amp). at the most i can separately control left and right channel volume. treble and bass settings are completely disabled.integrated amp has treble and bass control.

Well I was there this Thursday,Demo guys are very lazy even though they are free.I has to ask 3 times & then got a short Demo.

Hmmm! I went there, took a nice seat and told that Robert that i want to satisfy myself. he left me alone. I did all the fiddling , CD changes,volume control etc for half an hour.In fact I was happy that he was not shadowing me. Otherwise it really irritates me if someone is standing by my side when i am listening.

Hmmm! I went there, took a nice seat and told that Robert that i want to satisfy myself. he left me alone. I did all the fiddling , CD changes,volume control etc for half an hour.In fact I was happy that he was not shadowing me. Otherwise it really irritates me if someone is standing by my side when i am listening.

Thats true,
I tested old 459 ,when the person took time to set.Then very slow in reply.
i felt I was asking something wrong.I wanted to take Demo of 365,but then gave up.

Hi!
yesterday i had a demo of RX-v465, RX-497 and RX-797 with Jamo speakers. I found the sound quality of RX-797 quite satisfying. So I've finalised RX-797 2 channel amp instead of AV receiver RX-v465.
But for speakers i'll try a demo of yamaha RX-797 wiht Polk audio and mission speakers too and then finalise.
Friends, whihc DVD player do you suggest i should go for. my busdget for DVD player is 5-7K. what do you say for sony cd/dvd player.

regards
Manpreet

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back