Amplifier suggestions

If an Int. Amp does not have a sub-out, the best way to connect the sub is to use the high level inputs on the sub. I've read in a few places that it's the most preferred way to connect your sub. I haven't tried an A/B comparison on that so not able to comment much.

As my search for a good amplifier is still on to replace my Denon pma 710 for Dali Ikon7.. If someone has gone through same replacement or someone using entry level integrated amplifier initially and then switching to some high end integrated amplifier. Kindly share your experiences thanx

speaker upgrade is the biggest upgrade rather than the amp,in my case it was clear.
so decide your self

As Mr knell suggested and after my visit to Banglore's hifi show, I'm going for speaker upgrade Sonus Faber Chameleon T for my current Dali ikon 7...suggestion plz

akpurohit,

I Seriously doubt on whether your Denon could even push the Sonus Faber Chameleon to sing first.

People could give Opinions but you need to take decisions.

Denon+Dali is not sweet to your years Hence you planned for upgrade. Looking at the Dali , its sure that Denon (low powered) cannot get the Max out of it.

So If you move to Sonus, which is even a higher end, then you might end up in disappointment inspite of upgrading the speakers.

You have good Speakers and nice budget for Amp. NAD,Hegel, Arcam,CA,Matrantz ,musical fidelity,Naim,Peechtree etc are few common brands you could audition before making a decision.

You could wait for audition not wrong, you could travel for audition its not a bid deal than ending up in spending money and no joy finally.

Plan for a weekend visit to Delhi or mumbai, or somewhere You could find Dali dealers and take a audition.

You might end up in spending 10k Max- to feel that you are getting what you what not something like to take whats there.

Else wait for the FM's who are using Dali 7 to comment

+1 to Audio_Freek. more important than the speaker or Amp individually is how well they work together. i would also suggest getting a better amp and trying it out rather than upgrading speakers.

there is a nice line magnetic amp for sale but not sure if 30W is enough for your room size..better to get one of the many amps mentioned in the above posts with 50W+ and you will be fine.

The Dali is a underated speaker...

Hi
I am running my Dali Ikon 7s with an Arcam FMJ A39.
Had also auditioned the Ikon 7 with the A 19 before I bought my speakers and amp and found the sound to be very good. The A39 being 120 W pc I guess tends to drive the 7s a tad more effortlessly. Having read a lot of reviews, Dali and Arcam I believe is known to be a very complimenting combination.
Cheers
Bhuvnesh

Firstly I was very happy with Dali Denon combo . But due to problems with electronic parts i.e. CD player and amp i decided for change/upgrade. As i have mentioned earlier, i love bass and my Dali denon combo gives terrific bass reproduction with loudness turned on. On my recent visit to Mumbai and Banglore I got able to audition few amps only due to non availability of required integrated amps. With basic integrated amps by turning on loudness control , you can hear sub woofer like bass . In this visit I found high end amps have no loudness control and some have no tonal controls even. Finally at Banglore show I found chameleon T from Sonus Faber ( very affordable 2.05 lakhs plus taxes) and they're being powered by Marantz 6005 (again a amp with loudness control) and combo sounding way above its price. So now I'm planning to change whole setup. So friends with max budget plans of 4.5 lakhs( 3 for speaker and 1.5 for electronics) , I'm going back to Mumbai next week. My first preference will be Chameleon T Sonus faber with pm 6005 Marantz. Other contenders are Jamo c109 , KEF R900 , Focal aria 936 , Dynaudio exite x38 and Sonus faber Venere 3.0 . So your suggestions are welcomed as time is running out. ... Just remember I LOVE THE BASS.

Since you have stressed on bass, i feel that you might need a sub in your setup. If you see my setup in my signature you will see that I have what most people would consider as an absolute entry level speaker below which there will be compromises. My amp at best will put out 23 watts. Even with this setup, I can still very much enjoy the music with no distortion from the boxes. And ya, I have a sub whose volume maxes out at 80. I keep it at 20. Take it beyond 60 and my apartment starts to vibrate. I up the volume on my sub only when I need a massage when sitting on the sofa.

For me, speakers will always come first. I will make or break your musical nirvana.

Since you have stressed on bass, i feel that you might need a sub in your setup. If you see my setup in my signature you will see that I have what most people would consider as an absolute entry level speaker below which there will be compromises. My amp at best will put out 23 watts. Even with this setup, I can still very much enjoy the music with no distortion from the boxes. And ya, I have a sub whose volume maxes out at 80. I keep it at 20. Take it beyond 60 and my apartment starts to vibrate. I up the volume on my sub only when I need a massage when sitting on the sofa.

For me, speakers will always come first. I will make or break your musical nirvana.
What amp do you use? Does your amp have a dedicated sub-out? And which speaker and sub woofer do you use with your amp?

I have the Topping TP60 amp. This is a bare bones amp with just 2 inputs and a volume control. It has no sub out. I user the speaker level connections to connect to my Velodyne EQMax 15 sub. My speakers are Quad 12L2.

I have heard the quads through the Marantz PM6005 amp at home, all other equipments being the same. Other than the higher power of the Marnatz, I could not find any significant improvement in sound over the Topping TP60.

Amazon.com: Topping TP60 Tripath TA2022 50WPC (80WPC 4 Ohm) Mini Amplifier: Electronics

Velodyne EQ-Max 15 Subwoofer Review Introduction | Audioholics

Last edited:
... Just remember I LOVE THE BASS.

this is a very understandable need..but Bass is not usually very well understood. Anything below 80 Hz is bass as it is a combination of Auditory and Tactile. very often the bass we like is in the 40-80 Hz level and may not even need a sub.

A good Amp which can drive the speakers across the range and good placement will both take care of this.

So, in case you have not already done so, before you make any changes please do experiment with placements and then try another Amp

OF course it is your choice but once you get your Bass right you will want a cleaner midrange etc etc...so do future proof your investment with the right research

All the speakers you mention are good but they will all need the right matching amp with them to get them to sound right

Perhaps you could call Lakozy in Mumbai and find out. The Naim website has the following:

1. Innovative Information Technology Pvt Ltd - Distributor
Service and Support
1507 Maker Chambers V Nariman Point
Mumbai MAHARASHTRA 400021
India
+91 9819257839

On googling, it appears that Sonus Faber has 90db sensitivity at 4 ohms. Now that can open a whole lot of issues, but I think a Naim should be fine.

See here for something that you need to take care of

Loudspeaker Sensitivity & Impedance Explained | Audioholics

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back