Amr dp-777

Here is the direct link
Fanless ATX Power Supply - HDPLEX INC

It is slightly pricey.

The price of the PSU is way costlier than my PC itself but would think of going for this in the future if I assemble a dedicated music-pc. I currently use a fanless Intel Atom Foxconn PC which comes with a laptop style power adapter. So happy with the current setup.

If you see dbpoweramp's log after ripping CD, it says..Not in accurate rip..and thats where actual game lies. Noise is introduced and pace of the bits is not matched to the actual recording. Try ripping your CDs with EAC (EXACT AUDIO COPY) and see the difference.

Accuraterip is a database of rips done by other people. When you rip on dBPoweramp or EAC, your rip gets compared to what other people achieved. Even if a CD is not on Accuraterip database, there is still a very good likelihood that your rip is bit perfect. It depends on the status of your CD and your CD drive. I don't think noise gets introduced in the process. Fellow forumer murali has written in depth about the process of EAC rips. A quick search of the forum will give much better clarity on the matter.

Also, EAC rips natively in wave. If one chooses flac, then EAC converts the file it rips in wave into flac. As proof, keep the destination folder open on your computer. After it completes ripping a track, you will see that it is saved as a wave file, then quickly converted to flac after the rip is completed in wave. The file icon will change from .wav to .flac, if you set default player in your computer to say Windows Media Player for wave, and foobar for flac (they have different file icons).

By the way, dBPoweramp rip is superior to EAC as per many audiophiles I know. On my none too resolving system, I can't hear the difference. But dBPoweramp has one outright superiority - it can save tons of metadata even if you rip it in wav. EAC can't do this. Also, dBPoweramp is way faster than EAC.

Last edited:
Hi Jls001,
Thanks for explanation. Can you please tell , if there is any difference between wav file extracted by dbpoeramp and windows media player?I agree that dbpoweramp is fastest.

Cheers

Dheeraj

Accuraterip is a database of rips done by other people. When you rip on dBPoweramp or EAC, your rip gets compared to what other people achieved. Even if a CD is not on Accuraterip database, there is still a very good likelihood that your rip is bit perfect. It depends on the status of your CD and your CD drive. I don't think noise gets introduced in the process. Fellow forumer murali has written in depth about the process of EAC rips. A quick search of the forum will give much better clarity on the matter.

Also, EAC rips natively in wave. If one chooses flac, then EAC converts the file it rips in wave into flac. As proof, keep the destination folder open on your computer. After it completes ripping a track, you will see that it is saved as a wave file, then quickly converted to flac after the rip is completed in wave. The file icon will change from .wav to .flac, if you set default player in your computer to say Windows Media Player for wave, and foobar for flac (they have different file icons).

By the way, dBPoweramp rip is superior to EAC as per many audiophiles I know. On my none too resolving system, I can't hear the difference. But dBPoweramp has one outright superiority - it can save tons of metadata even if you rip it in wav. EAC can't do this. Also, dBPoweramp is way faster than EAC.

I believe that the PSU is NOT a Linear Power supply but an Audio Quality SMPS..

There are two things on that page. One is a linear power supply:

HDPLEX Fanless Linear Power Supply for PC Audio and CE device

The other is a 19V to ATX DC-DC converter

HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply (16V-24V Wide Range Voltage Input)

The latter can be used with an SMPS or the former linear power supply. Not sure why you say its an audio grade smps. It uses a 100VA r-core transformer with LT1083 regulators. It is as linear as it gets :p.

I simply bought the linear power supply as I do not need a DC to DC converter - my case already has a rather good one inbuilt.

Last edited:
Hi Jls001,
Can you please tell , if there is any difference between wav file extracted by dbpoeramp and windows media player?

Honestly I don't know. But as I said, certain sections of audiophiles claim to hear superiority in dBPoweramp rips. I personally feel, if there's a difference, it is really very small, and needs highly resolving system to discern it, besides a pair of keen ears.

Digital is actually a funny business. Bits are bits and if they are extrracted perfectly (as many ripping applications claim to do), then all bit perfect rips ought to be the same. But in practice, they are apparently not. Beats me:)

May be someone can compare the two rips through checksum or similar mechanism?

Honestly I don't know. But as I said, certain sections of audiophiles claim to hear superiority in dBPoweramp rips. I personally feel, if there's a difference, it is really very small, and needs highly resolving system to discern it, besides a pair of keen ears.

Digital is actually a funny business. Bits are bits and if they are extrracted perfectly (as many ripping applications claim to do), then all bit perfect rips ought to be the same. But in practice, they are apparently not. Beats me:)

May be someone can compare the two rips through checksum or similar mechanism?

After reading through the dbpoweramp posts, I did a bit of searching and found this thread:

The dBpoweramp / Exact Audio Copy Sound Experiment - Do you hear the difference?

It appears that the rips are bit exact and the output is the same for both eac and dbpoweramp once the meta info is removed. I'll still try it no doubt. But doesn't look like any particular ripping tool is better than the other - at least mathematically.

Moreover, people are there to claim that CD ripped in safe mode of windows has much better detail and ripped to external solid state drive has even more details.

So dont know where this kind of discussion can land...CD ripped in vaccum or hiltop sounds better..:D

Sorry for being OT..but since discussion has started..:licklips:

I prefer dbPowerAmp simply because it's really fast, and it can add tags to a .wav file like nothing else can!

ROC,

Does the USB input features Galvanic Isolation in the AMR DP-777 DAC ?

I don't see any manufacturer providing the same with HIGH-SPEED USB 2.0 protocol interface. Since there is lack of isolation chips in the market for True USB 2.0 high-speed isolation.

As far as I know there isn't any galvanic isolation. However one thing is for sure - it does not take any power from the USB socket. I have the +5V power line disconnected and it still works.

edit: This is what their FAQ says:

Crucially, the USB signal is completely decoupled (i.e. isolated) from the DP-777. So any power supply noise, RFI and ground noise from the PC is not able to enter and contaminate neither the DP-777 nor its signal.

http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/dp777_features.html

So it does seem there might be some form of isolation.

Last edited:
Not sure why you say its an audio grade smps. It uses a 100VA r-core transformer with LT1083 regulators. It is as linear as it gets .

You are 100% Correct. My Bad. I missed the R Core Transformer.

The PSU is SUPERBLY built. A Great Product.

Did you have it shipped to India ? How much for the shipping ?

Any Customs Hassles ?

You are 100% Correct. My Bad. I missed the R Core Transformer.

The PSU is SUPERBLY built. A Great Product.

Did you have it shipped to India ? How much for the shipping ?

Any Customs Hassles ?

The price quoted on that page (295$) includes insured fedex international shipping to India. I opted for Fedex priority which is another 25$. I was charged customs duty - Rs 1211. The PSU was delivered to my doorstep in 3 working days.

Last edited:
The price quoted on that page (295$) includes insured fedex international shipping to India. I opted for Fedex priority which is another 25$. I was charged customs duty - Rs 1211. The PSU was delivered to my doorstep in 3 working days.
Did FedEx charge you 200 bucks or more duty processing fee?

I got billed for that and realized just after I had paid so didn't argue about it.

G0bble

Yep 300 bucks customs clearance charge. Actual duty was 800 odd. I don't mind the excess as it saves the hassle of us visiting the FPO to get it cleared. Its a real pain and takes forever.

A new SE upgrade coming to the DP-777

AMR/iFI @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest dont you wish your Skunkworks was hot like ours?

AMR is very proud to announce the launch of the 777 Special Edition or SE series. The SE series benefits from a raft of not evolutionary, but revolutionary revisions that take the sonic performance of each model into a whole new realm. Bass is deeper and more powerful, there is more air in the trble, background is darker with an overall improved resolution.

The revisions are as follows:

1. AMR Tri-Core Silver output capacitors
2. GE 5670 tubes (with adapters)
3. Quad-Core Digital Engine*
4. Additional clock buffers to lower systems intrinsic jitter even further*
5. Re-optimised Clocking arrangement*
6. Latest XMOS interface with proprietary customised firmware*
7. Completely re-designed 4-layer gold-plated circuits boards)

Looks like it is time to save up!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back