Amr dp-777

Thank you! I think I shall be able to live with this DAC for many moons to come. Unlike some others however, I can't live with only a computer transport. A disc spinner is almost essential for me. I hope the amr dac gels well together with the ap transport.

IMO, you must at some point in time whenever it happens, try Teac VRDS transport. Pre-owned they are not too expensive to own and are leagues ahead of all transport. Philips CDMPro (IMO) is a little cousin in comparison.

HOWEVER, if AP floats your boat, that's what matters the most. Moreover, having the backing of Siva itself is a great reason to go with AP.

IMO, you must at some point in time whenever it happens, try Teac VRDS transport. Pre-owned they are not too expensive to own and are leagues ahead of all transport. Philips CDMPro (IMO) is a little cousin in comparison.

HOWEVER, if AP floats your boat, that's what matters the most. Moreover, having the backing of Siva itself is a great reason to go with AP.

Funny you say that. Jaibir got his team vrds-10 over a couple of weeks ago for me to try. Unfortunately it was having tray issues and would not play. Too bad I missed listening to it in my setup.

Vrds has always been highly rated and it has been either the cd pro2m or vrds that is found in most high end players. These days the vrds transports are only available in esoterics. Those are a bit too pricey for me though. Maybe some day I shall get to listen to one.

Would love to do that once I am in bangalore. According to Thorsten Loesch, USB performs better than the BNC or aes/ebu outputs though as far as measured performance is concerned.

Did a detailed comparison between the PC and the CD transport. After a few tweaks to the computer, I can honestly say I can't distinguish between the CD transport and the computer with the exact same material.

It sounds close enough that anyone would be hard pressed to tell which is better. This says a lot about both the acoustic portrait transport and also the USB interface of the DAC.

One major tweak for the computer seems to be changing the scheduling to prioritize background services over UI. It is there in one of the tabs of windows system properties. This easily makes the maximum difference to sound after changing the output to wasapi.

Bumping up an old thread. Got a 100w HD Plex linear power supply for the computer. Biggest difference is a much much cleaner top end and tauter bass. It is quite obvious that the difference between an smps based power supply and a linear PSU is ridiculously big if you wanna use a USB DAC. If you use an internal sound card, it is gonna be a massive massive difference.

Last edited:
Doing a 1:1 comparison with the CD transport yields the following:

- details and bass impact the computer completely demolishes the CD transport.
- CD has more presence in the mids - the mid range is still more prominent in the CD transport and is a bit lean on the computer.
- I am willing to bet all the Elna caps in the power supply need some time to burn in. There are quite a few in it.

Tracks used: Eva Cassidy - wade in the water, Jennifer warnes - prairie melancholy, pink Floyd - high hopes, within temptation - shot in the dark. The first two are very well recorded, the second one is a good recording by rock standards and the third one is a full of compression hard rock number. The versions on ssd were all ripped using each from the exact same CD being played to rule out any mastering issues.

I presume you have ripped to WAV ?

What is the Ripping Software ?

Have you tried ripping with
EAC (Exact Audio CD )
and
dB poweramp ?

Both rips sound different.... to my ears

Would appreciate yr feedback.

EAC (Exact Audio CD )
and
dB poweramp ?

Yes ripped with eac to .wav. Never tried dbpoweramp. Is it better? I do find a difference in the sound produced by flac and wav. I prefer the latter.

There is a Distinct difference in the sound of ripped files from dB Power Amp and EAC...

While many proclaim dB Poweramp as Supreme, I am undecided.

Do try out dB Poweramp. Worth a try.

Did a detailed comparison between the PC and the CD transport. After a few tweaks to the computer, I can honestly say I can't distinguish between the CD transport and the computer with the exact same material.

It sounds close enough that anyone would be hard pressed to tell which is better. This says a lot about both the acoustic portrait transport and also the USB interface of the DAC.

One major tweak for the computer seems to be changing the scheduling to prioritize background services over UI. It is there in one of the tabs of windows system properties. This easily makes the maximum difference to sound after changing the output to wasapi.

Any links to the site where you brought the linear PSU, sorry if it was answered earlier in the thread, I couldn't find it :eek:

If you see dbpoweramp's log after ripping CD, it says..Not in accurate rip..and thats where actual game lies. Noise is introduced and pace of the bits is not matched to the actual recording. Try ripping your CDs with EAC (EXACT AUDIO COPY) and see the difference.
However if you think WAV is better format then it can be done via EAC also..just dont add FLAC plugin.
I also sometimes, find wav better than FLAC, but it is due to PC's umcompression process of FLAC file, whereas
wav is played as it is.

EAC (Exact Audio CD )
and
dB poweramp ?

If you see dbpoweramp's log after ripping CD, it says..Not in accurate rip..and thats where actual game lies. Noise is introduced and pace of the bits is not matched to the actual recording. Try ripping your CDs with EAC (EXACT AUDIO COPY) and see the difference.

dbpoweramp has a fairly wide array of configuration options and, with the paid version, has access to multiple databases. I have found very few CDs (typically India specific editions) which cannot be checked against an online database. Problem is that a disturbingly high number of Indian pressings dont match the database

Having used both, I prefer dbpoweramp. More than any meaningful difference in SQ (I havent noticed any), to me the convenience of using dbpoweramp makes the job of ripping a few hundred CDs less unpleasant

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back