Amr dp-777

We do have "fast charge" ports these days that supply more than the usb spec. That would explain the 3.6A claim.

Would a dac that draws only 900mA exhibit any dynamics?

G0bble

Would a dac that draws only 900mA exhibit any dynamics?

It's only 500mA from a USB 2.0 port and not even 900mA. Charging devices have different USB power specs.
The $200+ ifi iUSB upgraded power supply for USB DAC's puts out 1000 mA and they think that alone can bring huge difference for those USB only DAC's.

BTW I'm too looking for a battery solution to power a DIY USB dac which plays all sample rates till 32 bit, 384 kHz and DSD 64 and DSD 128. The power requirement is 600 mA, only if I want to play hi-res and DSD otherwise 500 mA or less from usb port is fine :D

Small update. Got the new iFi Gemini cable. Biggest difference is details and more bass and probably slightly blacker backgrounds.

However the comparison is somewhat unfair. The DAC works with only the data end plugged in. The power end is not plugged in at all. So there is no power reaching the DAC from the computer at all. Also proves that the DAC doesn't need the 5v usb from the computer. No need of any battery or iusbpower either.

Update time! The DAC has around 100 hours or so on it now. While there have been small changes to the sound, I would not classify them as massive. Yes there is more detail but the tonal character has been the same from day one. I would say that there isn't much truth in those 300-500 hour break in periods.

One thing which I definitely have noticed though is that it needs at least an hour of time before it starts sounding its best. Also USB cable changes have a big effect on the sound. Quite surprising!

The biggest improvement for me though is the fact that I'm spending 4-5x the amount of time i used to spend earlier listening to music. The DAC is so smooth and non fatiguing that time just passes by without noticing. It sounds great with every genre of music from Indian classical to jazz to heavy metal. Also I really can't call any song a bad recording anymore. For a change, playing via USB the DAC utterly blows away my clearaudio concept in audio quality. Digital 1, analog 0 at least as it stands now. I really need to get a better cartridge for the TT now as it has been languishing unplayed for a while now.

Last edited:
Also I really can't call any song a bad recording anymore.
For a change, playing via USB the DAC utterly blows away my clearaudio concept in audio quality. Digital 1, analog 0 at least as it stands now. I really need to get a better cartridge for the TT now as it has been languishing unplayed for a while now.

You have acheived the two goals I had set upon since the start of my audio journey.... My utterly heartfelt Congratulations! :clapping:

G0bble

A mid level dac or cdp will handily beat entry level turntables. You will have to get into a mid level table to compare it to your dac

The Esoteric I had needed 600 hrs to start sounding good. I have had two Esoterics. Both times I needed upwards of 600 hrs for break in. When I first got into a table, the Bluenote Bellavista Signature with their titanium tonearm and mid level cartridge, the Esoteric beat it hands down. I sold off my table in 2 weeks. It's only when I moved to an EMT did I move out of digital

A mid level dac or cdp will handily beat entry level turntables. You will have to get into a mid level table to compare it to your dac

The Esoteric I had needed 600 hrs to start sounding good. I have had two Esoterics. Both times I needed upwards of 600 hrs for break in. When I first got into a table, the Bluenote Bellavista Signature with their titanium tonearm and mid level cartridge, the Esoteric beat it hands down. I sold off my table in 2 weeks. It's only when I moved to an EMT did I move out of digital

I guess I sort of see your point. However a mid level table setup - either modern or vintage shall end up with a cost probably twice as much as one has to spend on a mid level DAC like the amr. Unfortunately it seems like an unending money pit :lol:.

For now I am gonna try putting a reasonable 1000$ or so cartridge on the table and see where it goes. If I am disappointed, then comes another upgrade cycle.

Yes a table with all it's paraphernalia is more expensive than a corresponding level dac or cdp. Also vinyls are way more expensive.

For now I am gonna try putting a reasonable 1000$ or so cartridge on the table and see where it goes. If I am disappointed, then comes another upgrade cycle.

Get the Scheu MC S (Benz ACE S) which I'm using. It's a great cartridge. Or the Clearaudio Concept MC which Jochen (The Listening Room) recently got for a customer who also uses the Concept turntable. He told me it's a very good match with the Concept tonearm.

Get the Scheu MC S (Benz ACE S) which I'm using. It's a great cartridge. Or the Clearaudio Concept MC which Jochen (The Listening Room) recently got for a customer who also uses the Concept turntable. He told me it's a very good match with the Concept tonearm.

Thank you for the suggestions. Yes a good cartridge is definitely on the horizon for me.

I'm also looking to let go of my Ayon CD player and move to a dedicated transport. For now I've decided on the Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga transport as I'd like to support a local manufacturer. It is also a very well built product with a Philips CD Pro2m mechanism at a fantastic price.

I finally got an opportunity to a/b the acoustic portrait transport to the ayon. It was not even close - everything was superior in the AP transport - better tonality, timing, more resolution, vastly superior air and macrodynamics. In contrast the ayon as a transport felt lumpy and not much fun to listen to.

Have paid Siva in full and shall be receiving the transport in a couple of days. There are very few pieces remaining. If you are looking for a special cd transport, don't wait. Act now before the stock runs out. The price he is charging for these is less than the cost of what a cd pro2m kit sells for at most places on the internet.

I finally got an opportunity to a/b the acoustic portrait transport to the ayon. It was not even close - everything was superior in the AP transport - better tonality, timing, more resolution, vastly superior air and macrodynamics. In contrast the ayon as a transport felt lumpy and not much fun to listen to.

Welcome to the club! :cool: :cool:

Based on my AP DAC listening experience, I am not surprised. For a while even I toyed with the idea of getting it then went for a PC based transport instead.

What are the output port options in this transport? Only spdif?

G0bble

Based on my AP DAC listening experience, I am not surprised. For a while even I toyed with the idea of getting it then went for a PC based transport instead.

What are the output port options in this transport? Only spdif?

G0bble

Was actually speaking to Siva about this, he said what we use for short distances doesn't matter much. Of course aes/ebu can drive longer cables.

What Siva has done in his DAC is not the native spdif implementation of the cd pro2m. He has actually converted the i2s input into spdif by using a very high precision clock. The transport also supports up sampling to 24/96 at a flick of a switch. Of course I shall not be using that since my DAC is nos.

My ayon cd player is now sold to a dear friend. Many apologies to others who might have sent me messages for it. The friend (an hfv member) would probably have shot me if I gave it to someone else :lol:.

Its sad to bid farewell to one of the best sources I've ever heard. I'm really glad it has found a good home and I can still hear it whenever I want to.

Congrats Roc! Great going. You have a super source now!

Thank you! I think I shall be able to live with this DAC for many moons to come. Unlike some others however, I can't live with only a computer transport. A disc spinner is almost essential for me. I hope the amr dac gels well together with the ap transport.

I think I shall be able to live with this DAC for many moons to come. Unlike some others however, I can't live with only a computer transport. A disc spinner is almost essential for me. I hope the amr dac gels well together with the ap transport.
Congrats ROC, I really liked the way you upgraded your system giving maximum replacement footage to the most impacting components (even if its a ayon).Now enjoy the amr/ap on one side and the clearaudio on the other.
cheers

Congrats ROC, I really liked the way you upgraded your system giving maximum replacement footage to the most impacting components (even if its a ayon).Now enjoy the amr/ap on one side and the clearaudio on the other.
cheers

Thank you! Some time down the line the core components - the amp and speakers shall be changed as well. I am still wondering what those would be though. Have lots of options in mind but not sure what I want yet. The only thing I seek is a speaker amp combination that sounds tonally pure and works well in a small room. This is not something I intend to do in a hurry though.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back