Amr dp-777

Was playing around with two settings in foobar - one was buffering the entire file into memory and the second was decoding thread priority. Changing the former to some large value like 500 mb and the latter to high makes a massive difference to audio quality on this dac. So much so that USB now sounds equal or maybe better than the disc spinner.

Anyone with an async dac should try it out assuming one has at least 2-4 gigs of main memory.

Last edited:
Was playing around with two settings in foobar - one was buffering the entire file into memory and the second was decoding thread priority. Changing the former to some large value like 500 mb and the latter to high makes a massive difference to audio quality on this dac. So much so that USB now sounds equal or maybe better than the disc spinner.

Anyone with an async dac should try it out assuming one has at least 2-4 gigs of main memory.

Please shed more light on how to do this setup in foobar. I want to try it out in my dedicated fanless pc with 4GB of RAM.

Interesting observation RoC. I have had positive results with using memory playback in Jriver v19 as well, in fact so much so that I am using it exclusively now, of course, I use an external usb spdif converter, so setup is slightly different. In my setup, I feel that I have decisively beaten Cd playback from my previous ayon cd2 s. There is no going back to the silver discs for me.
Cheers,
Sid

Doesn't do much for me. It sounds no different than properly setup foobar at least to me.

The results vary with the device being used. If the AMR is sensitive enough to see that big a difference with memory playback, its worth trying out again.

In my system Lynx (with Foobar) < Teac VRDS 10 < Lynx (with JPlay)
edit: this is on comparing WAV files ripped from a CD to the same CD played back through the Teac.

Please shed more light on how to do this setup in foobar. I want to try it out in my dedicated fanless pc with 4GB of RAM.

It is in file-preferences-advanced-playback. The options are called full file buffering and inside the wasapi sub item, high worker process priority.

The results vary with the device being used. If the AMR is sensitive enough to see that big a difference with memory playback, its worth trying out again.

In my system Lynx (with Foobar) < Teac VRDS 10 < Lynx (with JPlay)
edit: this is on comparing WAV files ripped from a CD to the same CD played back through the Teac.

More than anything, I have a philosophical issue with jplay. It may sound good or bad - I really don't care. What I do not like is the author bs'ing about how his approach is superior to jriver or foobar without a word on what he is doing to improve playback. As a researcher into software systems, I find this attitude a bit disgusting. There is no way I will pay for voodoo - especially something that did not work for me previously.

It is in file-preferences-advanced-playback. The options are called full file buffering and inside the wasapi sub item, high worker process priority.

I am not able to find the WASAPI sub-item under the "Full File Buffering" under the Advanced options -> Playback. Please see the settings of my Foobar application. I have installed WASAPI plugin and using the same with my ODAC. Let me know if I am missing something in the settings.

0x87.png

Last edited:
Another thing about jitter - the DAC has a jitter indicator. While locking to the incoming clock, there is a "J" that flashes in the display. I only see it flash at the start when playback commences and never after that. Seems like a good thing!

Here is what i see in mine

Foobar v1.2.9, wasapi ver 3.2.3

Thanks, I have the latest Foobar v1.3.1 and the WASAPI was 2.0 so I updated to 3.2.3 and now I can see the options for WASAPI. I did the settings as per your picture. Now with the latest WASAPI I can see that the output shows WASAPI (event) and WASAPI (push) which were not there earlier. I think I need to hear the difference (I doubt with my ears :lol:), let me know which one did you set it to.

Thanks, I have the latest Foobar v1.3.1 and the WASAPI was 2.0 so I updated to 3.2.3 and now I can see the options for WASAPI. I did the settings as per your picture. Now with the latest WASAPI I can see that the output shows WASAPI (event) and WASAPI (push) which were not there earlier. I think I need to hear the difference (I doubt with my ears :lol:), let me know which one did you set it to.

I have it set to push though I hear no difference between the two.

@ ROC,

Ah.. go with the IFI then since it is coming recommended by AMR. This is not someone in Bangalore..someone I know overseas.

ROC,

If you have access to a good technician, just disconnect the +5V wire (Pin 1 - Red colour wire) of a standard USB cable. Leave the other three as is. This cable tweak resulted in improvements with all the usual suspects - bass definition, low level detail, etc. In my AP DAC, the volume also went up. That "dirty" 5V really screws things up.

usb-pinout-diagram.gif

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back