Amr dp-777

Just an update - should be getting an AMR DP-777 soon. This is the biggest blind purchase I have made till date. But I trust Abhi(Dr Bass)'s ears enough to believe him when he says that this is the best digital source he has heard till now.

Congrats ROC. Are you planning to use PC Audio or a CD transport

Just an update - should be getting an AMR DP-777 soon. This is the biggest blind purchase I have made till date. But I trust Abhi(Dr Bass)'s ears enough to believe him when he says that this is the best digital source he has heard till now.

This is one of the safest blind purchases :) would be interested in hearing about its USB in audio. makes sense to setup a good PC audio for this .

Good move ROC. If this DAC works out to better than the one in the Ayon, you should consider a stand alone transport as a spinner - maybe consider the one siva makes. Your slient pc should be enough for the USB :)

RoC,

Congratulations on the decision of your new DAC. Just curious to know if this is the first installment of an overall upgrade of your whole system, or you think the components downstream can do full justice to such an acclaimed source? Please do not take this as an oblique hint. Audio is a strange business, and I have seen many combinations which on paper do not appear attractive enough actually work very well together.

Regards.

RoC,

Congratulations on the decision of your new DAC. Just curious to know if this is the first installment of an overall upgrade of your whole system, or you think the components downstream can do full justice to such an acclaimed source? Please do not take this as an oblique hint. Audio is a strange business, and I have seen many combinations which on paper do not appear attractive enough actually work very well together.

Regards.

Thank you Asit. Yes the plan is to swap the speaker and amplification sometime down the line when funds allow. However that will be some time coming - it won't be immediate for sure.

I do understand that my system now goes into a state where the speakers are the weakest link. However with some experience now, I understand that this is a far better state to be than when the front end is not up to the mark. My current amplification mates very very well with the usher speaker and I think what I hear is probably close to what the best this speaker can deliver.

There are still a few limitations but then unless one goes into the cost no object territory, this hobby is all about making the most out of whatever equipment one possesses within the scope of their limits. As for someone with limited means, I find it is always more sensible to spend some quality time with each component before giving up on it altogether. Patience is the name of the game and if one waits, the correct upgrade would pop up sooner or later. In fact I am very very happy with the system in its current state. This DAC was on my radar for a while and a good deal appeared, so just I went for it.

Regards

Last edited:
this hobby is all about making the most out of whatever equipment one possesses within the scope of their limits. As for someone with limited means, I find it is always more sensible to spend some quality time with each component before giving up on it altogether. Patience is the name of the game and if one waits, the correct upgrade would pop up sooner or later. In fact I am very very happy with the system in its current state. This DAC was on my radar for a while and a good deal appeared, so just I went for it.

I like this philosophy, and actually have followed it all my life, even though I fully understand that this approach needs to be applied in an optimal way and within its limits. For example, for a long time (till about mid 2000s), my system was seriously under-cabled (that means I was outside the limits of applicability of this philosophy). Given the quality of the speakers, I am pretty sure they can take a serious speaker cable upgrade even now. But I love my system as it is, and enjoy the music on it.

Regards.

PS: I am using Siva's speaker cables right now (given to me by a FM, still have not paid him). Before that I was using the TDK PCOCC cable from ARN for a few years.

Got the dac intact. Even without burn in it sounds an order of magnitude better than the ayon. Incredible fullness, smoothness, timing and dynamics. This is without any breakin whatosever. After breakin, I only wonder how it'll sound.

Last edited:
Yep that seems to be a great amplifier especially for not so high sensitivity speakers.

So far the ayon as a transport seems to sound better than the USB input. However I am using a very cheap USB cable so that could be an issue.

Excellent addition ROC. Do post some detailed impressions after burn in.
Cheers,
Sid

Hope to do so soon. Shall update this thread as changes come into the system. First one shall be the USB cable mentioned above.

Sonically, the ayon and amr share more in common than otherwise. After a closer listen today, the primary difference is the smoothness and refinement. The latter especially is significantly better than the ayon. Detail is pretty similar but the amr has a much more seductive midrange and the feeling of the singer being there is much more palpable. Knopfler's voice is more gruff and chesty while Eva cassidy's songbird seems to almost float into the air. Soundstage width is pretty much the same but the depth is much more with the amr - for the first time I can feel music enamating from behind the backwall. This never happened with the ayon.

Congrats reignofchaos. The AMR is a very good product. I have never heard the DAC but was considering their cdp at one point of time. The shelves in the picture look like glass. If they are, remove the glass shelves and replace them with wood

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back