Amritavarshini: Post you favorite Carnatic Audio/Videos here

Great piece of music, gobble. Thanks. I also liked the posture of the artiste while playing the flute. The contemplative and meditative nature of his aalaap (raga exposition) is reflected well in his posture. This is what I personally like the most and look for in Indian classical music.

I agree with Ramanujam about the accompanying violin and feel that the violinist lacks a bit of sense because he is playing along exactly at the same time and slightly different combinations and to the ear is a little disturbing to the melody. Accompaniment is an art by itself and the main performer cannot be disturbed. Hence the recording level of the violin should have been a bit lower.

In the North Indian system, as far as I know, we do not have this raga Amritavarshini. I looked up in the net for the equivalent, and some people are naming Malashree and some other people are saying Hindol (not the Carnatic Hindolam = Hindustani Malkauns or Malkosh). While Malashree uses the scale SGPN (believe it or not, mainly only 4 notes, with a touch of m), and Hindol uses the scale SGmDN, Carnatic raga Amritavarshini (as I hear from the above youtube flute version) uses SGmPN (with a touch of D). After hearing 3 times the youtube video, I have now learned this Carnatic raga. Thanks for expanding my horizon, gobble; and I agree the flute was really good, very very much in tune and melodic.

Regards.

Note: S-Sadja, G-Gandhara, m-Teevra Madhyama, P-Panchama, D-Dhaivata, N-Nishada

Quite nice. The violin is a bit more pronounced though.

What are the other CDs that you bought?

Deleted post. Let us stick to the theme of the thread and not get too chatty.

Mod: Please remove.

Regards

Last edited:
Feels good listening to this... How do you search for such things gobble?
By the way if you like to explore new artists may I suggest.... (Or probably you may already know about them)

1) Kaivalya Kumar Gurav
2) Aarti Anklekar Tikekar

I like both artist's voice, though I don't understand classical at all I do listen to them.

Deleted post. Let us stick to the theme of the thread and not get too chatty.

Mod: Please remove.

Regards

Last edited:
Great piece of music, gobble. Thanks. I also liked the posture of the artiste while playing the flute. The contemplative and meditative nature of his aalaap (raga exposition) is reflected well in his posture. This is what I personally like the most and look for in Indian classical music.

I agree with Ramanujam about the accompanying violin and feel that the violinist lacks a bit of sense because he is playing along exactly at the same time and slightly different combinations and to the ear is a little disturbing to the melody. Accompaniment is an art by itself and the main performer cannot be disturbed. Hence the recording level of the violin should have been a bit lower.

In the North Indian system, as far as I know, we do not have this raga Amritavarshini. I looked up in the net for the equivalent, and some people are naming Malashree and some other people are saying Hindol (not the Carnatic Hindolam = Hindustani Malkauns or Malkosh). While Malashree uses the scale SGPN (believe it or not, mainly only 4 notes, with a touch of m), and Hindol uses the scale SGmDN, Carnatic raga Amritavarshini (as I hear from the above youtube flute version) uses SGmPN (with a touch of D). After hearing 3 times the youtube video, I have now learned this Carnatic raga. Thanks for expanding my horizon, gobble; and I agree the flute was really good, very very much in tune and melodic.

Regards.

My I wouldn't know if the accompanist was good or not. I enjoy the music and melody thats it!! Maybe someday my understanding will improve. :)

Glad you liked it and also taught something in return to us.

Regards

Glad you liked it and also taught something in return to us.

I do not know what you found worth learning in my earlier post, but I learned the raga Amritavarshini from the link in your original post. Thanks again.

I was quite deep into Carnatic classical music till 1988. I knew names of even a few upcoming artistes. But unfortunately I have not been able to keep up and as a result do not know the good modern artistes. Can you or somebody suggest good CDs I can buy (both from older and new generation) so that my collection in Carnatic classical music (both vocals and instrumental) gets a well-needed boost.

Regards.

I do not know what you found worth learning in my earlier post, but I learned the raga Amritavarshini from the link in your original post. Thanks again.

I was quite deep into Carnatic classical music till 1988. I knew names of even a few upcoming artistes. But unfortunately I have not been able to keep up and as a result do not know the good modern artistes. Can you or somebody suggest good CDs I can buy (both from older and new generation) so that my collection in Carnatic classical music (both vocals and instrumental) gets a well-needed boost.

Regards.

Its not the learning of a practicing musician, but a little more mental familiarity with the Raaga, for what its worth.

You can look for the Oriental Records CD series titled Sangeeta Kalanidhi's.
The series runs into 100s by number. This will give you a vast sampling from which you can narrow down to your taste.

Regards

Regards.

Found a blog on this Raaga so thought I had post think loud: Amrithavarshini

Cheers

Hai asit,

I recommend Sikkil Gurucharan, awesome voice and expression. You can start with "Maaya" - available online at Charsur Digital workstation, all the songs are good and the song "Sarvam Brahma mayam" is the pick of the album.

N.Murali

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back