An Amazon Fan writes..

I'm yet to receive my shipment. The approximate delivery date was 10 and 12 th march respectively for 2 shipments. But no sign of any one of them till now. Sent a mail to Amazon and they asked me to wait till 1st April and in case I don't receive by that time they'll re-ship the items. I hope I get them before 1st april as I don't want to wait again for another month :-( :-(

Friends,

Recently I wanted to buy some vinyl LP records from amazon.com and wanted to place an order for the same.But I learnt that amazon.com does not make shipments to India and India does not find a place in their list of countries to where shipments are made.I request our friends to help me how to sort out this problem.

Thanking you,
Sincerely,
pksnathan

Friends,

Recently I wanted to buy some vinyl LP records from amazon.com and wanted to place an order for the same.But I learnt that amazon.com does not make shipments to India and India does not find a place in their list of countries to where shipments are made.I request our friends to help me how to sort out this problem.

Thanking you,
Sincerely,
pksnathan

pksnathan, If you have noticed, there are quite a few posts in this forum about Borderlinx. In short, if you have a Citibank credit card, you can sign up for Citi GlobeShopper service which will allow you to purchase products from most online retailers in US and have it shipped to India. Citi offers its Globeshopper services through Borderlinx. They will of course charge you duty and shipping charges to India but depending on what you're purchasing, the duty may be very less.

Alternatively, you can also check the Elusive Disc web site posted by Sidharth Trehan in this same thread.

Last edited:
Got my shipments delivered today. Well, better late than never;-)
So here's my ordeal for this whole process.
Amazon: Amazon as always were very helpful in replying to my queries/shipments etc. They informed me why would there be delay if order all 4 triple packs together and what necessary steps I can take. Why the shipment was late and what future course of action I can do etc. I was informed about all the things that matters and helped to keep my blood pressure low even in the case of the delay.
Customs: Funny is the word that came to my mind. They opened the big package (containing 3 triple packs BD's) and didn't slap any customs duty on that. It was shipped by DeutchePost DHL. The box was opened when it reached me and Postal persons told me that it's probably customs. I was worried that something might have lost but thanks to our Postal service, nothing is lost.
They didn't opened the single triple pack BD(matrix coll) and slapped Rs. 226 (190 CD and 30 something else) for customs. I really don't know why. Their logic seems to be out of comprehension for us, mere mortals. But anyway, I'm not complaining at all.
Postal: Well, all I can say it's mixed bag as I don't know where the delay was. It may be customs or postal. I just don't know. But I've to give it them that even thought the package was opened nothing was lost from the shipments.
Well, at the end, all that matters is that I got my shipment and I'm happy.:yahoo::yahoo:

Few more things I would like to add about Amazon international shipping costs. The actual prices of the items charged were less then what they've shown in the cart/basket. So basically even after adding the shipping charges to India, I was actually paying almost the same amount as I would've paid had I shipped within UK with free shipping. Probably that price in the cart includes VAT also which is removed when shipped internationally.
Ok then, enough of my babbling..

Last edited:
pksnathan, If you have noticed, there are quite a few posts in this forum about Borderlinx. In short, if you have a Citibank credit card, you can sign up for Citi GlobeShopper service which will allow you to purchase products from most online retailers in US and have it shipped to India. Citi offers its Globeshopper services through Borderlinx. They will of course charge you duty and shipping charges to India but depending on what you're purchasing, the duty may be very less.

Alternatively, you can also check the Elusive Disc web site posted by Sidharth Trehan in this same thread.

Friend,
I thank you for the information and the website link
Regards,
pksnathan

I have ordered a few times from Amazon.com and .uk and have seen that the final shipping rates depends on how they bundle the products.

On a per item basis, UK is cheaper than US but on certain bundles (books + DVD), the US charges could be better. Unfortunately the product selection is different on the two sites and also they don't ship electronics (not that I would buy as its too risky with the transportation). Lots of horror stories even within US.

@maheshm07 - Did you order expedited shipping by any chance? I see it as US$ 14 for the shipping.

@ marsilians - Sorry I missed this earlier. Actually, I had opted for the standard int shipping, the expedited shipping charges were even higher. Anyway, the present status is I still haven't received the delivery. Checked with Amazon on 18th Mar, which was the originally committed delivery date, and they reverted immediately apologizing for the delay and promptly refunding the shipping charges, but asked to wait for another month before opting for reordering/ cancellation of my order. Apparently, for standard int shipping the local delivery part is done through post-offices which could be the ISSUE. It has been a bad experience at the first instance itself with Amazon US, though they will refund the full amount but it feels sad to loose out on the ordered BDs. Will try my luck with Amazon UK next time, I heard their deliveries are prompt and less expensive too.
Regards.

I used Standard shipping both the times from Amazon UK and it reached me. But it did take some time, almost like 3 weeks to get delivered.
And my next order which is shipped on 1st April haven't reached me yet :-(. But the estimated delivery date is 19th April anyway. Keeping my fingers crossed. Another order (last one)was shipped on 10th, so this one may take some time I guess.
Also the priority shipping cost is quite high for Amazon UK.

@idlebrain, nice list of BD's that you've. ;-)

@idlebrain, nice list of BD's that you've. ;-)

Thanks KonfuSed.

I have selected couple of Box sets from amazon.uk and ordered in standard shipping.Lets see how it turns.Till now I used to get from friends in USA or 20north.This is the first time from amazon.

By the way if anybody interested, price of box sets in Amazon.UK is very less compared to US and obviously indian stores.
I saw Harry potter 1-5 series in landmark as 4500+ which worked out for 2000/- plus for 1-6 series with amazon.uk

Last edited:
I ordered my Bourn Collection blue ray pack after discuessing with Konfused. (Thanks for giving me that confidence).....and it reached within 10 days with no customes levied at a price of 17GDP including shipping which is like... 1173 for 3 Disc set..........nothing more left to say I guess.

I am tempted to per order AVATAR which is a limited edition pre order only...."Steelbook with 4 Lenticular Artcards and An Activist Survival Guide to Pandora" for 25GDP including shipping ~ 1725. Looks pretty decent to me..What do u say.........anybody placed that order......

Last edited:
1173 for 3 Disc set..........nothing more left to say I guess.
Thats a pretty good price.Ultimatum itself is costing 1200/- in india.
I am tempted to per order AVATAR which is a limited edition pre order only...."Steelbook with 4 Lenticular Artcards and An Activist Survival Guide to Pandora" for 25GDP including shipping ~ 1725. Looks pretty decent to me..What do u say.........anybody placed that order......

I did it along with Saving Private Ryan.Both are going to release on 26th April.

You are lucky Sam to get it within 10 days, dunno why for me it's taking so much time always.
I also have Harry Potter in my cart along with some other movies. But already spent too much on Blu-rays during last few months, so taking it easy now. But Saving Private Ryan is going to change that for sure ;-)

Thats a pretty good price.Ultimatum itself is costing 1200/- in india.

DVD's in India are a complete rip off. Not many box sets, not many extras, almost no DTS, no steelbook editions, disks are Region 5, which are mediocre compared to Region 1 & 2; minimum price is 499 for a decent one (read "BIG Home Video", "Excel").

Amazon UK absolutely rocks. Even I compared with Amazon US, and the discounts on the UK site are fabulous..

DVD's in India are a complete rip off. Not many box sets, not many extras, almost no DTS, no steelbook editions, disks are Region 5, which are mediocre compared to Region 1 & 2; minimum price is 499 for a decent one (read "BIG Home Video", "Excel").

Amazon UK absolutely rocks. Even I compared with Amazon US, and the discounts on the UK site are fabulous..

When I agree with the rip off prices in India, I don't agree that the PQ is worse than their US/UK counterpart. I recently bought Top Gun and The Rock in India and quite happy with the audio and video aspects. Top Gun is with DTS-HD MA track and it;s just mind blowing. And The rock have some really nice PQ. I really don't think that they are mediocre in terms of PQ and SQ.
But in the end, yes, the prices are rip off (I bought these movies in India as I had some gift coupons) and I'll stick to Amazon UK or US only. Another issue with Indian release is that they don't have 2 disc/3 disc editions. For example in Transformers, Indian edition have only a single disc, and funnily the disc says Disc 1. Which means that they just dropped disc 2 to save some money and still charge us double the price.

EDIT: Oops, just now noticed that you were talking about DVD's not Blu-Rays. Sorry.. Well yeah, for DVD's what you say is correct. Very few times you'll get some good DVD's (LOTR, Matrix etc were quite good but Black Hawk Down, Public Enemy was pathetic)

Last edited:
When I agree with the rip off prices in India, I don't agree that the PQ is worse than their US/UK counterpart. I recently bought Top Gun and The Rock in India and quite happy with the audio and video aspects. Top Gun is with DTS-HD MA track and it;s just mind blowing. And The rock have some really nice PQ. I really don't think that they are mediocre in terms of PQ and SQ.
But in the end, yes, the prices are rip off (I bought these movies in India as I had some gift coupons) and I'll stick to Amazon UK or US only. Another issue with Indian release is that they don't have 2 disc/3 disc editions. For example in Transformers, Indian edition have only a single disc, and funnily the disc says Disc 1. Which means that they just dropped disc 2 to save some money and still charge us double the price.

EDIT: Oops, just now noticed that you were talking about DVD's not Blu-Rays. Sorry.. Well yeah, for DVD's what you say is correct. Very few times you'll get some good DVD's (LOTR, Matrix etc were quite good but Black Hawk Down, Public Enemy was pathetic)

Hey no hard feelings bro..

Well, yes I had watched LOTR-Return of the King, the DVD was from Eagle, and I must say, the PQ and SQ were good. It was a 5 disk version, I think. A rare and good work by Eagle there..

I don't have any BluRay hardware, so haven't checked out any Blurays, but if the PQ and SQ for the ones sold here match those from US and UK, then that's great news..

Well, yes I had watched LOTR-Return of the King, the DVD was from Eagle, and I must say, the PQ and SQ were good. It was a 5 disk version, I think. A rare and good work by Eagle there..
Yupp, I got the whole collection of the LOTR extended edition and it's an amazing experience I must say. Will keep them till there is an extended edition on Blu-ray. Not gonna buy the theatrical edition in Blu-ray for almost 70$. Will consider if Amazon UK offers a good discount and price it at par with Bourne or Matrix Trilogy. :clapping:

I don't have any BluRay hardware, so haven't checked out any Blurays, but if the PQ and SQ for the ones sold here match those from US and UK, then that's great news..
I bought 4 blu-rays from India till now and when compared to the UK/US imports that I got, I don't think there is much difference in terms of PQ/SQ. But again my TV is only 42inch and I may need a much bigger screen to see the difference. Yes, we are missing on the special features though. I just hope that the indian companies will stop being cheap and give us the full galore for a competitive price.

EDIT: LOTR is now 29.97GBP. Just 12 more GBP's to come down ;-)

Last edited:
EDIT: LOTR is now 29.97GBP. Just 12 more GBP's to come down ;-)

Well..so you changed your opinion on this version from completely ignoring to considering to buy if price drops:).Thats nice.
Hhmmmm...I ordered it 2 days back, worked out to 25GBP.

Well..so you changed your opinion on this version from completely ignoring to considering to buy if price drops:).Thats nice.
Hhmmmm...I ordered it 2 days back, worked out to 25GBP.
Yeah,;) considering this as a stop gap replacement if the price comes further down to south of 20GBP. But just considering as what I heard is that the extended edition may take a long time in terms of years. Still I may not buy this version actually. But this movie is one of the all time favourites and now there is a craving to watch it on Blu-ray. Well that's what the producers are cashing on, on fans like us, by ripping us off with Theatrical version. Gosh, I hate them.

EDIT: Just now show in Amazon that the Extended edition might be available by 2011, I think I can wait till that time. I signed up for notification and I hope it comes early as a christmas gift ;-)

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back