An evening at Rethm

Hi Sachin, if somebody in Mumbai is willing to lend me or come over with the Hiraga amp, we can definitely listen to it with the Rethms and share our experiences here.

Sachin F 5 has a damping factor of 80. So unlikely to work with Rethms. SIT 1 or SIT 2 has a damping factor of 2 and should ideally work with Rethms. That's the First Watt amp I would look at with the Rethms

Last edited:
Prem, for most times I don't have to change the bass.

BTW, as regards your experiment, isn't it possible that reproducing a single voice is much simpler than the more dynamic nature of music. I achieved a huge improvement by replacing the Tannoy with the Maarga. I had tried a Topping amp once with the Tannoy and it was very close to the NAD. Recently I tried an Exposure amp with the Maarga and it was a tad better than the NAD. Wish I can try a SET or Trigon/Symphonic Line/Odyssey etc. to see how much impact they make.

I would suspect that the critical components are where music energy is transformed like digital bits to current by DAC, vinyl to current by cartridge and current to mechanical energy by the speakers. Dealing with mechanical energy is probably the worst.

Compression is again part of transformation. Of course quality of recording (garbage in garbage out) and room acoustics could make a big impact.

@Sachin, your 2 cents are always worth much more! Do you know if anyone in Pune built the Hiraga? We could try it with the Maarga at my place.

Hi Sachin, if somebody in Mumbai is willing to lend me or come over with the Hiraga amp, we can definitely listen to it with the Rethms and share our experiences here.

Sachin F 5 has a damping factor of 80. So unlikely to work with Rethms. SIT 1 or SIT 2 has a damping factor of 2 and should ideally work with Rethms. That's the First Watt amp I would look at with the Rethms

Hi Prem,
FM TD150 and vktarun both have built Monstre in Mumbai. You can PM them. http://www.hifivision.com/diy/58211-hiraga-le-monstre-build-anvil-5.html

Regards
Sachin

@Sachin, your 2 cents are always worth much more! Do you know if anyone in Pune built the Hiraga? We could try it with the Maarga at my place.

Hi Atharva,
You can contact Swapnil. His friend was about to complete Hiraga, don't know the current status.

Regards
Sachin

Thanks Sachin. I am pretty settled in on my amp. Do not want to experiment any more :) Perfectly happy with my Berning amp.

Atharva, it's unlikely a Trigon, Exposure or a Symphonic Line is going to work with Maargas.

To me any system which can reproduce the human voice correctly is 80 percent of the battle won. If those extremely minor variations in a voice is reproduced chances are it will easily handle most music

Atharva, I do not know what Tannoys you owned but the mid level prestige series is as good as the Rethms. The top end models like Westminister are in a different league. In fact if you listen to a lot of old Bollywood, no speaker is likely to beat the Tannoy gold vintage speakers because majority of the albums were recorded using the Tannoys.

But again the amp required to power the Tannoys will be completely different from the ones that play well with the Rethms even though there is not much difference in their efficiency. Tannoy likes solid state with power.

Thanks Sachin. I am pretty settled in on my amp. Do not want to experiment any more :) Perfectly happy with my Berning amp.

You already have a very high end setup. I was just curious about Hiraga pairing with Retham.

Regards
Sachin

Hi Sachin

Would have loved to try out the Hiraga but it's too much of a pain. My system uses balanced cables. Also I don't have a pre. Just a vol control on the Berning. So will need to get a xlr RCA adapter which is not a big issue. The problem is the pre.

Has any one tried a Yamamoto with the rethms ? If yes , how will you compare it with the likes of Gaanam, Viren Bakshi's Amp , Wine Audio and berning ... in terms of sound signature , openness , musicality , transparency ?

I have heard the Yamamoto but not with the Rethms. I don't think 2 watts will work for the Rethms. The drive will be lost. This is what Jacob told me

The Yamamoto is a great amp. One of my favourites.

Maybe a Linear Tube Audio 10 or 40 would also be a great match. 10 Watts should be sufficient but it seems the manfacturer is putting a lot of development in the 40 watt model.

Gemini, I use a David Berning amp with the Rethms but it's a zero feedback amp and a slightly modded version of his Seigfred amp. Instead of the 300 tubes it uses 6b4 which is a 2a3 in an octal. I think Rethms prefer zero feedback amps and my concern is Zotl 10 has feedback.

No. There is no reseller of Berning amps in India. ZOTL does not stand for zero negative feedback. It stands for Zero hysteresis transformerless output

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back