An evening with the rethms - lowthers full range

Hi Guys

I have owned the Rethm Saadhanas for more than a year now. Prior to that i had the Rethm Seconds. The Saadhanas are superior to the Seconds and can play all kinds of music. They have the same immediacy and the presence as the Seconds. I have owned many high end speakers in the past and i can confidently say the Saadhanas are the best i have owned. I am based in Mumbai and if anyone wishes to hear the Saadhanas they are most welcome.

Hi Guys

I have owned the Rethm Saadhanas for more than a year now. Prior to that i had the Rethm Seconds. The Saadhanas are superior to the Seconds and can play all kinds of music. They have the same immediacy and the presence as the Seconds. I have owned many high end speakers in the past and i can confidently say the Saadhanas are the best i have owned. I am based in Mumbai and if anyone wishes to hear the Saadhanas they are most welcome.

Hi Prem,

Please PM me your address. If possible will drop in for an audition.

Also, great if we can get an audition of the new Cadence range anyone.

the latest saadhnas with the custom built (peerless) bass driver and in built amp, are designed to address the traditional failing of full-range drivers, which is their inability to convincingly resolve (or even reasonably reproduce) frequencies below 50 hz.

I can understand Suri's perspective of preferring the earlier Saadhna's since that was a much more purist single-driver design, but the reviews i've read about the latest saadhnas are also mindblowing, although I don't imagine it would be a "works for all" type of speaker.

I met Prithvi the last time I was in Bangalore and he has promised me an audition of these babies once he has set them up again (he had to dismantle them for some personal reasons). Of course I understand that the saadhnas sound their best after a LOT of burning in. He has warned me that I won't want to listen to any other speakers after hearing these.

Guys,
finally put back the Rethms Saadhana's was listening to music till 3am, these speakers just draw you into the music and you dont want to get up at all. Sadly I still have a long way to go before the burning in finishes. Still very fresh just done about 30 hours only.

Anyone want a demo, please call me for a demo appointment and do bring your own music.

Hey not for me man. A friend has a built a new home and now we are working on an AV room. If it were me with that kind of budget I would assemble a killer rig of a PC that will play audio and video better than anything else, play games, do live video conferencing with just about anyone/anywhere, and have terabytes of data storage space among other things.

Unfortunately most people are still against the concept of a PC and BS/powered speakers etc. My friend admits the music on my system is the best he has heard yet he wants FS and the traditional amp/stereo rig.

I hope I will scare him with the costs involved and he will agree to a PC based rig!

I used to listen to CD/ MP3 etc., thru my PC for a long time with Creative 5.1 DTT & later on Onkyo HT.

But later when I added Elektron NMT, sound quality improved by 200%. Of course my PC soundcard is basic/ built in. But I never went back to playing music from PC after that.

There are so many issues like media player settings, codecs corruption, system hang up, system resources slowing down due to OS activity, OS corruption, registry problems, boot time etc. etc.

So playing from PC is now a NO NO for me.

There are so many issues like media player settings, codecs corruption, system hang up, system resources slowing down due to OS activity, OS corruption, registry problems, boot time etc. etc.

These are M$ problems not pc playback problems :eek:hyeah: If you keep a dedicate htpc for multimedia you should be in a better position. Yeah if the anti-virus decides to kick-in during a serious listening session and locks your hard-drive spinning it furiously, then its your bad luck :lol:

Generally one should keep a dedicated harddisk only for the audio files and not install any OS in a partition on it not even a swap partition. This will remove OS housekeeping activities disk I/O from it and the disk cache will be utilized entirely for reading the audio files.

The current seagate batch of 512GB disks in the market (7200.12 series) are a great buy with 16/32MB cache and only a single platter giving great performance.

Cheers

These are M$ problems not pc playback problems :eek:hyeah: If you keep a dedicate htpc for multimedia you should be in a better position.

Yeah better position is not good enough. I want to be in the best position.
I can do that by avoiding PC.

Generally one should keep a dedicated harddisk only for the audio files and not install any OS in a partition on it not even a swap partition. This will remove OS housekeeping activities disk I/O from it and the disk cache will be utilized entirely for reading the audio files.

Yeah, that's what we all do, but it still does NOT prevent all those "variables" that I mentioned previously, from troubling you.

PC is OK for casual listening but NOT dedicated use.

rethms philosophy states:
...bring a product to market ONLY if it is something uniquely different from the competion and ONLY if it can be sold at "real world" prices...

Maybe I agree on the "uniquely different from the competion" part but DO NOT agree on the '"real world" prices' part. "real world" relative to what world?

Yeah, that's what we all do, but it still does NOT prevent all those "variables" that I mentioned previously, from troubling you.

whoch is why I spent $$$ on a dedicated CDP even though I can DIY a HTPC easily. :) I still plan to build a dedicated htpc as a secondary system

Cheers

Well cannot blame the PC here. It needs a good soundcard and they are cheaper and better performing these days. At around 8K an Asus will blow the socks off most CDP several times over its budget.

Hmmm, I never had any of the issues you mention with the PC, but I guess each to his own. As long as the music is played however and whichever way that's all that matters.

I used to listen to CD/ MP3 etc., thru my PC for a long time with Creative 5.1 DTT & later on Onkyo HT.

But later when I added Elektron NMT, sound quality improved by 200%. Of course my PC soundcard is basic/ built in. But I never went back to playing music from PC after that.

Poor MS gets blamed always. I have a couple of AVs on my system along with FW and others like Anti-Spyware too. It just takes a single mouse click to have them self update and scan from 3 am and 6 am in the early morning (the times I am asleep) in other words a PC that takes care of itself. Which CDP does that? Even lens cleaning requires time and effort and that too on a regular basis. I've cleaned the lens for all my DVDP and CDP but not once till today for the DVD Writer or CD Writer in all these years that I've been using a PC.

Spot on with regards to a dedicated drive for music, but even then I keep running out of space so often will all the lossless rips.

These are M$ problems not pc playback problems :eek:hyeah: If you keep a dedicate htpc for multimedia you should be in a better position. Yeah if the anti-virus decides to kick-in during a serious listening session and locks your hard-drive spinning it furiously, then its your bad luck :lol:

The current seagate batch of 512GB disks in the market (7200.12 series) are a great buy with 16/32MB cache and only a single platter giving great performance.

Cheers

I have to disagree with you here my friend. PC is the best position and solution too.

I'm not sure I understand what is meant by casual listening and dedicated use.

The thing is most have not heard a proper PC setup with a good soundcard and speakers and playing the right content. If they do they will know what they are missing in their CDP. Music is so much open, warmer and more cleaner too on the PC.

I have to disagree with you here my friend. PC is the best position and solution too.

I'm not sure I understand what is meant by casual listening and dedicated use.

The thing is most have not heard a proper PC setup with a good soundcard and speakers and playing the right content. If they do they will know what they are missing in their CDP. Music is so much open, warmer and more cleaner too on the PC.

NO PC can play SACD. So why should I waste money in a high end sound card when my main choice of format for DSD is not compatible with a PC?

When I am in the mood to listen to music, and be inside it, I call it dedicated use/ listening. If the music is only playing in background and I am doing something else, I call it casual listening.

Anyway, I am not saying that PC with a high end sound card will NOT sound good. Maybe it's better than an average CDP. But it's not easy setting up and running the music with consistency. In fact the media players/ codecs are so powerful & customizable, that unless you set them right, it's very easy to end up playing the wrong sounds. Mostly they are without remote controls, so not easily accessible at your fingertips from your listening position. Even if you have high range cordless mouse/KB, there are those sounds "clicks" & "bursts" on selecting tracks manually. Then you will face some skip or jump of tracks from time to time due to OS/SW being resource hungry or having some other issues.

I have done enough system re-boots all my life. I don't want to continue doing that even for simple music...:rolleyes:

I believe the Rethms are priced more but has anyone heard the Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 and the Rethms and if so how do the Anthony Gallos compare when pitted against the Rethms?

Lot of good points here from both sides. Here's a few of my unsolicited thoughts:

NO PC can play SACD. So why should I waste money in a high end sound card when my main choice of format for DSD is not compatible with a PC?

Totally true. No PC can play SACD or DVD-As and there's absolutely no point in busting, say, $200 on a soundcard if all you want to do is listen to SACD or DVD-A. But then how many SACDs do most of us have? What a HTPC CAN be very effective in giving, is seamless access to the hundred's of Audio CDs that you have, without physically needing to take each out and placing it on a CDP. No more scratched and lost CDs for me. If you're really keen on listening to HD audio, you can always download 88 kHz/24 bit or even 96 kHz/24 bit tracks and play it from the PC. Also, I can't imagine a CD player matching the versatility of a PC in creating customized playlists from different CDs. Though it may be frivolous for some, I value the ability to have the lyrics and album cover of the song on display to be a nice value-add that a CDP don't give you. These are just a couple of things that a PC has over a CDP.

When I am in the mood to listen to music, and be inside it, I call it dedicated use/ listening. If the music is only playing in background and I am doing something else, I call it casual listening.

Ofcourse, all of the above features of PCs I mentioned are part of my 'serious listening' mode experience. :p

Anyway, I am not saying that PC with a high end sound card will NOT sound good. Maybe it's better than an average CDP. But it's not easy setting up and running the music with consistency. In fact the media players/ codecs are so powerful & customizable, that unless you set them right, it's very easy to end up playing the wrong sounds.

Actually the sound quality of a PC can hang with the very best, not just 'average CDPs', if you can add a soundcard (not necessarily expensive) with a digital-out and pipe the music through to a top-flight DAC. If you have the aptitude for a little experimentation, I believe you can push the SQ from a PC really high. But as you say setting up a suitable media player with the correct settings would not be as easy as pressing Play on a CDP, but then it's not too difficult either. Besides, it's a one-time affair.

Mostly they are without remote controls, so not easily accessible at your fingertips from your listening position. Even if you have high range cordless mouse/KB, there are those sounds "clicks" & "bursts" on selecting tracks manually. Then you will face some skip or jump of tracks from time to time due to OS/SW being resource hungry or having some other issues.

Yes, using a keyboard and mouse is not a very elegant solution. There are a lot of remote controls I'm aware of that can control Windows Media Player as well as others that one can use.

I have done enough system re-boots all my life. I don't want to continue doing that even for simple music...:rolleyes:

Tell me about it. Honestly, if I can live without ever having to touch a PC again, I'd gladly oblige. :D But sadly, I can't imagine using CD players or any proprietary format device for music, say 10 years into the future. If you ask me, this is the future. At some point in the not so far future, music (and possibly other media content) would be delivered completely by the digital medium, none of the shiny disc nonsense. Look what the iPod did to the music business. Though you could buy devices, like the Sooloos for instance, I sincerely believe you could put up a PC to handle all the music and get a SQ very close to these dedicated devices, without having to bust big money. After all, media player devices are just PC's with a pared down OS and customized applications.

I believe the Rethms are priced more but has anyone heard the Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 and the Rethms and if so how do the Anthony Gallos compare when pitted against the Rethms?

Though I've not heard the Rethms, I did listen to the Gallos about a couple of years back. It was a very clean sounding speaker but somehow I felt that the transition from the mids to the bass was not as seamless as I'd have liked. Also, the bass, as I perceived was a tad weak but this could've been because the sub-amps were not hooked to the second voice-coil of the bass drivers. If you're not DIY inclined, I'd suggest you audition the Emerald Physics CS2s or the CS2.3s (if it's available in India yet)...

@grubyhalo - Thanks. Now the hard part is to audition them in India. I will at least start with the online reviews.

Agree with you totally about the PC part. For me it produces the best sound I've heard till date and in terms of ease of usage and other factors just beyond compare.

@grubyhalo - Thanks. Now the hard part is to audition them in India. I will at least start with the online reviews.

I believe ARN Systems in B'lore is the dealer for Physics, check with them. I think they are represented in the forum by 'Odyssey'.

Here are a few reviews of the Physics:

emerald physics cs2

6moons industryfeatures: Emerald Physics

6moons audio reviews: Emerald Physics' CS2 - the*Second Coming

http://www.affordableaudio.org/EmeraldPhysicsCS2.pdf

Just a bit curious, are you inclined atleast a little to try DIY? If so, let me know, I'll send some resources via PM...

I'm sorry but I'm not a very technical person when it comes to speakers and Hi-Fi audio equipment. I do h/w fitting/fixing of a PC like fix HDD, RAM, DVD Drive, soundcards/graphics cards, and just about everything in a PC, but that's about it. I would not even know where to begin with in regards to speakers and Hi-Fi equipment. However, do send the resources. I do have friends who love tinkering and let me see what we can do.

I believe ARN Systems in B'lore is the dealer for Physics, check with them. I think they are represented in the forum by 'Odyssey'.

Here are a few reviews of the Physics:

emerald physics cs2

6moons industryfeatures: Emerald Physics

6moons audio reviews: Emerald Physics' CS2 - the*Second Coming

http://www.affordableaudio.org/EmeraldPhysicsCS2.pdf

Just a bit curious, are you inclined atleast a little to try DIY? If so, let me know, I'll send some resources via PM...

EDIT: I just realized I was completely OT with my posts and hijacked this thread far from it's intent and I apologize. If the OP objects, I'd be more than happy to move/delete my posts...

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back