Analog cable / Analog Set Top Box - How to connect to Digital Inputs on Monitor

ManiJ

Request your suggestions please on a connectivity question.
The setup is:
1) Analog cable input - from standard analog cable connector
2) Digital Cable TV - from Digital Set Top Box (Cable service provider: ACT TV, STB model: Cisco Z260DVB). Input to STB is from the standard analog cable through which digital signal is transmitted and deciphered by the STB. Output is the standard RCA composite video out (yellow RCA plug).
3) Laptop - Lenovo Y560, with analog cable TV in and HDMI out ports.
4) Monitor - Samsung S23A700D. Has only HDMI and DVI inputs. No Analog inputs.

Question: How to watch TV (video signal) on the Samsung monitor?
A) Analog Cable TV - can get input into Laptop, use Windows Media Center to play Live TV, get output from HDMI to the monitor.
B) Digital Cable TV - how to get this connected? The only output from the STB is a composite RCA plug, neither my laptop or the monitor supports this input.
Are there any other devices which can help in this situation? Any pros/cons for these devices?

Thank you for your suggestions.

You would need a PC TV Tuner Card (don't know if external ones are available for laptop). For a desktop though its a requirement.

Since monitor has HDMI input a Set Top Box with HDMI output should work... so check with your provider if they have STBs with HDMI.

You would need a PC TV Tuner Card (don't know if external ones are available for laptop). For a desktop though its a requirement.

Since monitor has HDMI input a Set Top Box with HDMI output should work... so check with your provider if they have STBs with HDMI.

:( I did already check with my cable TV service provider ACT TV on boxes with HDMI / DVI output and they dont have. As per the previous post from baijuxavior, I probably need to find a RCA to HDMI adaptor, though am not sure how this would work since one is analog and the other digital.

RCA to HDMI converters will work as they have built-in circuitry to convert the analog signal to digital. But the so called rca-hdmi cables may not work. The only problem is that such converters are very expensive.

With this kind of amount you can actually shift to a DTH provider with hdmi set top box which will be future proof as and when you get a HDTV. Once you get a HDTV these converters will become redundant and waste of money..

thanks

Yes,HD STB will have HDMI, Component & Composite out,also analog,digital audio out.That really make sense as it can be cheaper than converter.

External TV Tuner card with AV in and VGA out will do if your monitor has VGA input. Most monitors should have it right?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back