Analogue volume control with remote

Windows may be using the windows mixer in which case the volume is controllable, but it will be throwing away bits to control volume. Most media players have software volume control. But If your media player has option to use ASIO driver (foobar surely has), then you may find volume control no longer works. Same is the case with mac. I'm able to change the volume by using the apple music player's volume control. This will be software volume control and will always work. But the volume control in the top status bar doesn't work

Also it looks like the iFi firmware has a problem. I took a look at what the iFi dac reports to the OS regarding it's controls. To my horror I find that an extra trailing space has been added to the mixer control name. The volume control is named 'iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio ' : there is a trailing space character. mpd player always removes spaces at the beginning and the end of device name, control names. Hence it is not able to access the volume control.
Something new I learnt today that computer's mixers throw away bits to control volume!!!.

A space in the name of device creates such a havoc? o_O

Quick question for my knowledge, if software controls the volume than by chance do it remove some bits from source or anything which affects the original signals or audio quality? Sorry I don't have detailed knowledge about it.

GREAT QUESTION !!

Yes, I am certainly no digital expert, but my audio mentor always tells me that a digital volume control degrades the original signal, it " drops digits ". If you seek the ultimate in quality and in fidelity , one should avoid using them.

Earlier in this thread, I think F.M. " arj " gave the correct answer.

Build a DIY passive volume control. No need at all - for fancy magnetics solutions ( tapped transformers - ugh, Silver Rock or Slagle units ) , or multi-stepped fancy film resistors on 48 - position all silver switches as a solution.

The best sounding possible approach in 2022 I am aware of is a pair of dual 10K multi -turn ( 3 turns ) linear PRECISION and HIGH quality wirewound pots. Two 10K pots on a single shaft, wired " opposite " each other, to form a single 10K constant impedance L-PAD. This is usually a DIY item, as only one USA Manufacturer offers just such a device.that is truly well executed.

As with any and all passive attenuators, as soon as you add it into a great high-end system, you have an automatic degrade. Why ??

This is simply usually due to adding two extra sets of RCA jacks and their interface connections ( with attendant losses ), and the losses from adding an extra interconnect into your signal path.

I have not given any thought as to how to add a remote to such a device. It would be truly excellent to do, if it did not compromise the basic attenuator topology and parts types suggested.

Have fun !!

Jeff

Consider carefully this Bourns 3547 data sheet. It has the necessary quality.

Attachments

• 3547 Bourns (2).pdf
    466.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Why complicate things when you can use a preamp to control volume levels?

The line preamp uses an extra gain stage, with it's attendent losses, and.... for digital sources, the amplification is often not needed, if the original digital music ( ? ) source can drive the interconnect cables OK.

Jeff

Last edited:
Something new I learnt today that computer's mixers throw away bits to control volume!!!.

A space in the name of device creates such a havoc? o_O
Here is a good document on digital vs analog volume control from ESS (makers of the ESS Dac)

Conclusion: Analog volume controls easily outperform digital, unless the digital control has access to the data path of the DAC (ie is internal to the DAC) – Exquisitely well designed analog volume controls can still beat even the very best internal digital volume controls if they have a lower noise floor than the DAC itself

FM @rajan- has done a passive volume control i think. Check his thread or DM him.Or he may chime in to this post.
what I did as make a motorized volume control, that is in its own chassis. RCA in and out.

there are lots of passive volume controls available on amazon. you can connect one of them in between Dac and pre-amp and play around to see if its making a difference to your liking.

My preamp has high gain which is not useful after switching to new DAC hence looking for passive preamp or just volume control without any gain.
My bad.
Sorry for the offtopic and for a novice question.
So, with these dacs like Pegasus R2R dac, a regular preamp cannot be used? Does that mean, it cannot be connected to an integrated amp too as it has inbuilt preamp?
How about with other R2R Dacs like aries ii?

My bad.
Sorry for the offtopic and for a novice question.
So, with these dacs like Pegasus R2R dac, a regular preamp cannot be used? Does that mean, it cannot be connected to an integrated amp too as it has inbuilt preamp?
How about with other R2R Dacs like aries ii?
No. You can connect to any amp, preamp that has a volume control.

If your preamp doesn't have volume control, then you will have to reduce it in the AMP volume control. The OP wishes that if the preamp had a volume control that had a remote it would have been convenient. Right now, whenever he uses the Pegasus DAC, he has to get up from his chair and physically turn the volume knob anticlockwise on his AMP because his AMP doesn't have a remote.

No. You can connect to any amp, preamp that has a volume control.

If your preamp doesn't have volume control, then you will have to reduce it in the AMP volume control. The OP wishes that if the preamp had a volume control that had a remote it would have been convenient. Right now, whenever he uses the Pegasus DAC, he has to get up from his chair and physically turn the volume knob anticlockwise on his AMP because his AMP doesn't have a remote.
Got it. 👍
Thanks for explaining in detail.
It is strange that there exists preamps without volume control. May be it is for some power amps that comes with volume control.

Got it. 👍
Thanks for explaining in detail.
It is strange that there exists preamps without volume control. May be it is for some power amps that comes with volume control.
My preamp has volume control with remote as well but it is active preamp with gain which is advantage where you need gain between dac and power amp. In my case it is not required anymore hence just looking for passive preamp which will help in controlling volume without adding any gain.

If I buy a pegasus R2R dac and a schiit freya + plus their power amp, will I still need a passive volume control? Isn’t there a standard that all preamp work with all DACs and power amps?
Sorry for so many questions.

If I buy a pegasus R2R dac and a schiit freya + plus their power amp, will I still need a passive volume control? Isn’t there a standard that all preamp work with all DACs and power amps?
Sorry for so many questions.
Not required in your case as Freya+ has both though check about its passive feature before buying it.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back