Android mobile as AUDIO source

Hiten, there s' an I river player with digital out. Then you have the hifi man players which have dac functionality too.

So the overall consensus seems that the newer phones are better than or at least equal to ipod or cowon as far as earphones are used but not a replacement for a cdp.

Hi Jaudere,

It depends on whether you rate convenience and portability as important elements of the listening experience. I don't but many, who are always on the go, do.

Someone asked a photo guru which was the best camera. He replied, the one you have. The Hasselblad at home may not save the bacon while the point and shoot in your hand may. I have always admired the tiny Rollei 35mm cameras with retractable lenses and the smaller Zeiss and Leica cameras, including the CL and CLE.

Regards.

@Linuxguru
Can the audio circuit of the X2-01 be transplanted to create an SD card or USB stick based player?

--G0bble

Thanks Titus.
but as far as I know only old iRiver products had digital out. If you happen to know can you share the link buddy ?
Regards

Tried my N82 As music source. Didnt like it. Was inferior to dvdp (worse than marantz dvd p). I used .wav files for the test.
In addition to poor sound quality, i had to increase vol of amp almost upto 12 o'clock position. For dvdp,i dont cross 9.
Getting a dac soon.
Need more inputs on which portable players have digital/usb out for playing.

Ok Folks

Four of us who are making the presentations met last night and have firmed up the structure of the DIY workshop. It will be posted here later today after final corrections. We are trying to see if we have a couple of interesting ideas on offer, if things work out as planned.

Broadly speaking the workshop will start around 10-10.15AM, and will end sometime around 1.00-1.15. There will be 3 sessions, with Q & As and breaks in between for informal networking.

Do block off your calendars to be with us on Sunday Dec 11th, at the Anutone office in Indiranagar.

Cheers

I've heard a Samsung touch-screen phone (not sure about the model) and an iPod Classic 4th Gen model - the Nokia X2-01 is audibly better.

I'm not sure about what DAC/IV conversion chips are used in the Nokia, but the whole setup is very good indeed. I ran the output to my flagship MyRef Rev E + LF01 power amp combination, driving a pair of Fostex 6" full-rangers at Gobble's place last Sunday, and it was sonically outstanding.

(I liked "Chinna Chinna Asai" from Roja played through the Nokia X2-01 better than anything that Gobble played through his $1.5k Shigaraki DACs, but that's probably just a personal preference...)

Hi,

Has anyone else also heard the X2-01 played through an amplifier and found the sound as good as linuxguru did?

Regards.

Hi,

Has anyone else also heard the X2-01 played through an amplifier and found the sound as good as linuxguru did?

Regards.

I tried it today, and I can say it sounds pretty good, with my
best mp3 files. I don't know if this phone plays FLACs - will try
it sometime and update.

The volume control on my amp is around 10o'clock for my
normal source - a DVD player, but the Nokia X2-01 needs it a
bit higher, around 12 o'clock, for normal listening levels with my amp.

I don't have any high end DAC or CD player, to compare with.

Inspired by this thread, I went ahead and just ordered a USB OTG cable from Amazon for $2.5, although I have a Samsung Infuse 4G and have no idea if it supports USB OTG or not. But I truly hope that this works with my phone.

As far as using phone as a music player is concerned, I am totally convinced that the Smartphones nowadays can easily replace the standalone music players, with loads of processing power on them.
I am using my Samsung Infuse with PowerAMP installed in it as a portable music player and it has just replaced my Cowon C2 player, which I had to return to Amazon because of erratic touch screen. And I tell you that....The phone is much better and convenient than a dedicated music player.

does this mean that a nokia x2-01 plugged with an re zero headphone will rival ( or surpass) systems around 70k to a lakh ? intresting ...

Does Samsung also have X2-01? nokia X2-01 is selling for 4k in Panjim

Hi Jaudere,

Thanks for pointing out my mistake in wrongly mentioning the make as Samsung instead of the correct make i.e. Nokia. I have corrected the error in my earlier post. Thanks also for mentioning the price prevailing in Goa.

Regards.

Last edited:
The Nokia X2-01 Symbian Series 40 smartphone has a built-in music player .... The DAC and analog signal path is outstanding - comparable to a high-end CD player like a Marantz CD400x/500x/600x.
... BTW, it's also a very nice voice, SMS and 2G phone, but I'd pay Rs.3.5k just for the quality of audio play-back....

Hi Linuxguru,

I was checking out the features of the X2-01 on the net and found that it does not have a call register. Is there another phone in the Nokia range that has similar sound quality and also has a call register? I ask because you may have compared the X2-01 with other higher end phones in the Nokia range before going in for this particular model. Of course, they will not offer so much value for money.

I am told that the Sony Ericsson Cedar also has good quality sound and is in the same price range. Anyone who has used this phone and is satisfied with the sound?

Regards.

Last edited:
Inspired by this thread, I went ahead and just ordered a USB OTG cable from Amazon for $2.5, although I have a Samsung Infuse 4G and have no idea if it supports USB OTG or not. But I truly hope that this works with my phone.

As far as using phone as a music player is concerned, I am totally convinced that the Smartphones nowadays can easily replace the standalone music players, with loads of processing power on them.
I am using my Samsung Infuse with PowerAMP installed in it as a portable music player and it has just replaced my Cowon C2 player, which I had to return to Amazon because of erratic touch screen. And I tell you that....The phone is much better and convenient than a dedicated music player.
we want some demo/review of the results AB comparison .
Although i did not test the thing ,came to know some lowcost tabs also have OTG port

Hi all,

Nokia have introduced the Asha 200 mobile phone which seems to have all the features of the X2-01 and then some. It has dual SIM capabilities and a 2 megapixel camera. Also a stereo FM radio with stereo recording. Like the X2-01 it has a QWERTY keyboard. The sound quality should be as good if not better. Best of all, the price on the net is only Rs 4290.

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Could anyone guide me how I can use my Nexus S for storing and sourcing music? I can hook it up with either if the below two components which have USB in:
1. Sony DVDP
2. Onkyo BDP
Pls help

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back