Android tab as digital transport!

Actually what Sam wanted was to stream through the USB player so that we can use the tab connected via wireless to the has and through the USB otg cable for connecting to the DAC. Well I am also interested in the same thing. Let's see what happens.

Exactly. As I mentioned earlier, I wish there is an app or configuration that can make the network files accessible by the USB audio player. Not sure if DLNA can achieve that. We'll try.

xbmc for android supports both NFS and SAMBA and am using it to fetch data from my NAS with multiple devices. I am not sure if USB audio device is supported though. Do check both Frodo and Gotham versions for USB audio support if you give it a try.

xbmc for android supports both NFS and SAMBA and am using it to fetch data from my NAS with multiple devices. I am not sure if USB audio device is supported though. Do check both Frodo and Gotham versions for USB audio support if you give it a try.

Excellent idea, I think Santy or some other FM who has this setup can try it out as the XBMC has a decent layout/playlists formation for music playback. If the USB DAC can be chosen as the default audio source then I think this will give the best possible combination as the XBMC supports music streaming over network.

With latest android 4.4 (kitkat) USB audio devices are supported system wide, means once you plug them default android media player can playback through DAC. I recently upgraded to kitkat and now I can use my Fiio E17 with Play music, mxplayer and other apps, even system clicks are routed through DAC.

With latest android 4.4 (kitkat) USB audio devices are supported system wide, means once you plug them default android media player can playback through DAC. I recently upgraded to kitkat and now I can use my Fiio E17 with Play music, mxplayer and other apps, even system clicks are routed through DAC.

That's a great news. :clapping:
So now I will try to install a custom ROM 4.4 on my Galaxy Tab2 and then start looking for a usb DAC.

This is not true for all devices. Not yet. And for those devices which support native USB streaming (like Galaxy S2), kit-kat is not necessary, it worked even with Jelly bean.
Which android device you have? I had upgraded to Kitkat on my nexus 7 (2012) tab but it wouldn't work on default music player.

This is not true for all devices. Not yet. And for those devices which support native USB streaming (like Galaxy S2), kit-kat is not necessary, it worked even with Jelly bean.
Which android device you have? I had upgraded to Kitkat on my nexus 7 (2012) tab but it wouldn't work on default music player.
I have Motorola Atrix HD, running AOKP rom, With stock rom (4.1) when i connected fiio e17 it was identified as dac, means all sound output was sent to dac but dac didnt play it, means there was some software problem, after this upgrade sound output is fixed. Though you are right it depends on device, but most of the devices which supports usb host mode can support usb audio. Though android had added support for USB audio from 4.1, i feel implementations are not perfect, try different custom roms, see which works for you.
I also tried developing a simple app to stream usb audio to dac, and succeeded, but then with this upgrade usb audio is working fine so left the project. will finish it later, because it requires too much fine tuning and timing, calculating sample rates, sending data to dac based on sample rate, take care of time latency, adjust data rate.
These dac developers should take care of these things, app developer should only send data buffer and dac should play it, that makes life easy. :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back