Android tab as digital transport!

Yup, that's the idea. A cheap dac like HifiMeDIY with the tab would sound great according to me.

In your opinion, which is the better chain here in terms of performance (assuming speakers are the same). Sansa - Yamaha 473 - speakers OR Sansa - HifimeDIY/Fiio DAC - TP20 - speakers.

good discussion. Does anyone know of any bit stream app for android(aka. arm processors)?

would appreciated if someone can suggest an app similar to Jriver/JPLAY for android - could not find one that is capable of bit streaming.

I think what Santy has in his setup is nothing but bitstreaming as he is taking out the audio thru an external DAC (all digital out) without the tab processing at its side.

few folks on headfi have directly connected draginfly/hifimedia and even odac directly to galxy s3/s4 phones via OTG cables and the stock music player was able to stream music to the DAC which is then connected to headphone amp and iem's/headphones finally.

i would suggest try doing the same directly and see if it works. i am yet to try ODAC on my S3 without any mods. i am expecting it should work. through i am now running on CM11 and not stock OS.

In your opinion, which is the better chain here in terms of performance (assuming speakers are the same). Sansa - Yamaha 473 - speakers OR Sansa - HifimeDIY/Fiio DAC - TP20 - speakers.

Sansa itself has a good DAC however it wont be as transparent at ODac also as from sansa it will be analog out so Yamaha will be just amplify the sound and send to speakers.

my bet will be sansa > DAC > tp20.. the only issue is .. it wont work as sansa has a slave USB port and it wont bit stream any data out through that.

rather try android phone and it will work. :)

Santy,
I'd been thinking of downloading this same app for either my Galaxy S3 or my Asus tablet for the past few weeks ever since I read about folks using the PRO version to output digital audio to DACs. However, I didn't do it as the UI is very limited and either my phone or tablet would be limited to only 32GB of music.
Now if someone could find a way for using a HDD with this combo, that'd be a killer.

theironhorse,
S3 is a moody piece of equipment, sometimes doesn't work with DACs that other folks have had success with. Best bet (almost everyone says) is rooting and that's a route I don't want to take.

theironhorse,
S3 is a moody piece of equipment, sometimes doesn't work with DACs that other folks have had success with. Best bet (almost everyone says) is rooting and that's a route I don't want to take.

not just rooting. enter into the world of custom ROM's and you'd never go back to stock. trust me. yes bugs are there but the performance is worth those minor if n buts..

I think that all Android devices that run Jelly Bean & upwards have USB Audio capability. No rooting necessary. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 works with my Rega DAC, when used with an OTG Cable.

I think that all Android devices that run Jelly Bean & upwards have USB Audio capability. No rooting necessary. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 works with my Rega DAC, when used with an OTG Cable.

+1 on that one.. not sure or manufacturers like motorola or sony but with samsung it does work out of the box with stock Music player.

Well, I never claimed that Android based source is better than PC. ... ... ... I reiterate that this is not the best digital transport but just an alternative that could suit many on a budget and requirement (esp. for secondary system).

Bottom line: it works. Bottom line for PC audio isalso that it works, and actually does so without any audiophilication at all, although audiophiles find that impossible to believe. Speaking philosophically, though, we should remember that the linux kernel is the great grandchild of Unix, and that Unix was multiprocessing before PCs were popular and Windows was born Err... hope I got my chronology right there! But it was certainly multi-processing when one couldn't even do more than one file-copy process on a Win machine. But, having said that, I admit that I have no idea what the impact of all this Java stuff that gets mated with Linux to equal Android is on the whole mix.

The essence of what Santy has done is to realise that, given spare speakers and even a spare DAC, a quick look around the house was enough to come up with the source without building or buying anything else. Have tablet, got music :) :clapping:

+1 to what Thad says.

Besides, its a digital transport. It either works or it doesn't. At the most, you will get audio drop outs if tablet does not have enough processing power, but then you would know it right away. If no drop outs, be assured there is solid lock on the bit-streaming and all the audiophile discussions are simply romantic, nothing else.

Just for completeness on that, as well as working or not, it is valid to consider what the software does to the bits, which should, ideally, be passed unchanged. This is not always the case. Mind you, it doesn't mean the sound would be spoilt: it's like adapters and cabling, we all prefer not to use them, whether we can hear them or not.

It's not that all the fuss that audiophiles make about PC sound is invalid: to a point, it is fine --- just that crazy cables and rube-goldberg-type setups go well beyond that point.

Long time back, FM tuners were too expensive for me. I used to connect the headphone out of a cheap clock radio to my amp sometimes. Was it audiophile? It wasn't even stereo --- but it beat the 1-inch speaker by a million miles, and I could listen to the music. It's a case of working with what we have already :)

I think what Santy has in his setup is nothing but bitstreaming as he is taking out the audio thru an external DAC (all digital out) without the tab processing at its side.

Thanks Manniraj, my bad should've been more specific. i have some .dff files of Joshua Lowe from bluecoastrecords. i'm not able to play it via my Android, but JRiver,Jplay & Foobar can play the same on my PC. So i'm on the lookout for a App that is similar to JRiver/JPLAY/Foobar for Android. havent tried the app that Santy has mentioned but from the description on Playstore it doesn't seem to support this format.

Thanks Manniraj, my bad should've been more specific. i have some .dff files of Joshua Lowe from bluecoastrecords. i'm not able to play it via my Android, but JRiver,Jplay & Foobar can play the same on my PC. So i'm on the lookout for a App that is similar to JRiver/JPLAY/Foobar for Android. havent tried the app that Santy has mentioned but from the description on Playstore it doesn't seem to support this format.

I think expecting android to play all formats that a normal PC with different set of media players can do is ;). It is still growing and I believe there will be a time when it can do what a PC does with different apps. Also I think even Foobar plays different formats based on developers coding different plugins/components. So give it sometime I am sure android developers also will hit the nail.

Edit: I would suggest that if you are very particular of using an android tab/mobile to play the .DFF files why not convert them to a playable format if the files are not many as you can get free converters now-a-days online.

Last edited:
Agree, it wont be too long before applications like JRiver will be released for Android. Currently i'm trying to port Linux on Micromax Funbook just to run Jriver Linux version, but struggling to get it work. while i keep trying any news of some similar app capable of running on Android natively is going to save me the labor.

I am using an Android TV box for few months and it plays almost ALL the Audio/Video formats upto 1080p mkv etc over HDMI and SPDIF. Whats more, it has dedicated XBMC build, taking advantage of hardware acceleration. I can stream my laptop screen, play android game (Wifi/BT game pad available). There are costlier model ($299) which are able to play 4K.
So such specialized Android devices have already taken off.

I am using an Android TV box for few months and it plays almost ALL the Audio/Video formats upto 1080p mkv etc over HDMI and SPDIF. Whats more, it has dedicated XBMC build, taking advantage of hardware acceleration. I can stream my laptop screen, play android game (Wifi/BT game pad available). There are costlier model ($299) which are able to play 4K.
So such specialized Android devices have already taken off.

Which model?Can you post a link?
Can it play 3D and bitstream HD audio?
may this one-
http://www.ebay.in/itm/DroidTV-Medi...ders&hash=item589d82cc1a&_uhb=1#ht_9069wt_974
views-
http://forum.androidgadget.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=47

from Himedia-
http://www.ebay.in/itm/HiMedia-Q5-A...ders&hash=item3f2eba5426&_uhb=1#ht_3036wt_829

Customer views-
http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?3715-HiMedia-Q5-Android-Media-Player-Review
http://www.squidoo.com/himedia-q5-android-media-player-review

Last edited:

Hi Pal, if any Android box can do something, Minix Neo X7 can do too (except 4K video for which you have to buy Nuvola https://www.nuvola4k.com/index.php ).
There are a sea of Android Sticks/Boxes on the Ebay, ranging from as low as $30 till Nuvola costing $299+).
The one I have is called Minix Neo X7 - 1.6Ghz Quad Core/Mali 400GUP/2GB RAM/16GB rom/Dual Band Wifi and Ethernet/optical, HDMI, 3x USB, 1xOTG, 1xSD Card Slot.

This Box, though at costly mid side ($138) solves few major problem of such e-bay Android Boxes - Firmware support, Heating, lack of custom Apps, upscaled 1080p Video and Weak Wifi.
though there are still small hitches in the Box, newer firmwares are solving most of them.

Product page:
MINIX NEO X7 - MINIX

Dedicated forum by OEM
NEO X7 | MINIX Forums - Unofficial

Reviews
Review: Minix Neo X7 (Settop Box) - GadgetGear.nl
Los mejores modelos AndroidPC del ao 2013 y futuro prximo | AndroidPC.es

Bangalore audiophiles are welcome to audition the Box at my place if they wish.

Can these Android boxes or sticks stream audio on USB?
Yes Santy. There are dedicated Media Server apps available which can stream (out) Media on Disk/Network share/NFS/ etc and can play from all supported devices and DLNA/UPnP.

Last edited:
Back