Android TV box - Owners thread

king2163

After Completing all my Ht setup, now i am looking for android tv box. I have smart tv but i am not happy with the smart feature of tv. can you suggest any smart tv box which has

1- faster processor and better ram
2- can watch amazon prime and other streaming service in dolby or dts 5.1 sound format
3- can play hard disk upto 2 tb.

nvidia shield seems to be good choice. if found it costly on amazon.in but on amazon.com, it is approx 18k after import duty. not sure which is the best way to get it.

I am also looking for any good suggestion. I don't play games so may be nvidia shild is not a good choice for me.

After Completing all my Ht setup, now i am looking for android tv box. I have smart tv but i am not happy with the smart feature of tv. can you suggest any smart tv box which has

1- faster processor and better ram
2- can watch amazon prime and other streaming service in dolby or dts 5.1 sound format
3- can play hard disk upto 2 tb.

There are some on amazon.in for <10K.. Most come with quad core processor & some with Octa core processor.. RAM is usually 2 /3 GB.. Though decent hardware is enough, these shouldn't matter much, if you would be using only one application at a time on android box..

Am not sure on 5.1 output over streaming service..

Most would support 1 TB out of the box.. They should also support 2 TB hard disks.. Please raise this question with the product / seller that you are interested in.. They should help you..

Mods, @jls001 @Nikhil , request you to please rename the thread from "Android Box " to "Android TV box - Owners thread" so that it serves as a single thread for collective feedback on different models aval in India..

Recently got a Z69 Android TV Box, from Flipkart for Rs 4,700/- - https://www.flipkart.com/tangee-z69...acker=pp_reco_productRecommendation/similar_0

Here are some detailed specs of the model :

CPU : Amlogic S905x Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53 2.0GHz
GPU : Mali-450 5-Core GPU
RAM : 3GB DDR3
ROM : 32 GB

Got this purely for gaming purpose (budget).. Here are some pics of the product..

dUoqoYE.jpg

pFUSeyr.jpg

t8LLMvG.jpg

xupAZfl.jpg

piiMvqN.jpg

I am also in the process of purchasing Android TV box for self. Had auditioned Apple 4KTV and same non branded Android TV box. Waiting for ROKU audition if possible. I have shortlisted H96 max and H96 Pro plus due to very good specifications and review . Mean while I have installed Kodi Krypton 17.6 on my laptop and access video addons . Android TV box give more flexibility than laptop. Watching subscribed channels like Netflix, not sure about Amazon prime and other video addons, music addons and games give us vast options of entertainment. Reliability of Android TV box and video addons are the major concerns. Most of the video addons stream movies in 2 channels audio and very few 5.1 channels movies are available for free or require subscription of certain download access sites like Real debris, openload etc. Youtube, Music streaming are the real benefit of media streaming boxes. VPN , Real debris, settings are little confusing but practice can make you master. Copyrights protection, Data safeguard, malware, viras etc are also factors to be consider. Now I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Kodi on laptop and which is connected to AVR still do I need Android TV box .

Congrats on the purchase Elangoas.
Hope you got some time with the device. Can you please share your review for us on this product?

Depending on what contents you are interested in, I would recommend checking if Intel NUC fits the need. You can go for a SSD based with 8 gb RAM.

I think, once you have Windows on it, you can pretty much access anything.

I have shortlisted H96 max and H96 Pro plus due to very good specifications and review .

Yes.. Both these models have some good hardware & reviews.. How much do these models cost?..

Android TV box give more flexibility than laptop. Watching subscribed channels like Netflix, not sure about Amazon prime and other video addons, music addons and games give us vast options of entertainment. Reliability of Android TV box and video addons are the major concerns.

True that.. I got this purely for gaming purpose.. Yes media playback options are also good.. Actually there aren't many apps optimized for large screen.. Hopefully there are in the future..

Now I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Kodi on laptop and which is connected to AVR still do I need Android TV box .

I think you are already covered for your media playback with laptop.. If casual gaming interests you, then yes ATB should be a good add-on..

Congrats on the purchase Elangoas.
Hope you got some time with the device. Can you please share your review for us on this product?

Thx Nipun.. Yes, did install some games and been playing it for some time.. Sure, will share user experience in coming days..

Each cost in between 5-6k on Banggood, gearbest .No idea about indian custom duty. 7-9 K on eBay, Amazon. Discount coupon available for banggood.com( 10-20℅). Is it to safe to purchase on banggood and gearbest or shall I stick to Amazon or eBay. I may save 2-3 K from banggood or gearbest. I am not heavy gamer but music streaming from YouTube,YouTube music and other music addons are the main and welcome aspect as no more shops available for quality music purchase and availability on online is limited. For movies I mostly purchase Blu-ray for better quality, HD Picture and lossless audio, peace of mind( no buffering & sure 5.1 sound). Each time need to connect laptop to AVR as other family members also use it for different needs. Laptop have numerous GB personal data like downloaded Songs, Movies, personal pics and VDO so don't want to expose it through KODI. Malware and Viruses attacks is also major concerns as twice formatted laptop and lost data.

Thank you mods for changing the thread title..

Each cost in between 5-6k on Banggood, gearbest .No idea about indian custom duty. 7-9 K on eBay, Amazon. Discount coupon available for banggood.com( 10-20℅). Is it to safe to purchase on banggood and gearbest or shall I stick to Amazon or eBay. I may save 2-3 K from banggood or gearbest. I am not heavy gamer but music streaming from YouTube,YouTube music and other music addons are the main and welcome aspect as no more shops available for quality music purchase and availability on online is limited. For movies I mostly purchase Blu-ray for better quality, HD Picture and lossless audio, peace of mind( no buffering & sure 5.1 sound). Each time need to connect laptop to AVR as other family members also use it for different needs. Laptop have numerous GB personal data like downloaded Songs, Movies, personal pics and VDO so don't want to expose it through KODI. Malware and Viruses attacks is also major concerns as twice formatted laptop and lost data.

If gaming isn't a deal for you, then it is purely for streaming & media consumption.. Top of the line hardware specs isn't required for that.. Even a decent 2GB RAM & 16 GB ROM device with a quad core processor should do the job for you.. You can get one of those for 3K INR from flipkart, amazon.in (or) ebay.in..

I wouldn't suggest importing a top spec device, and you will anyways need to pay duty, which can largely vary.. Don't know how much duty is for android TV box.. If you travel frequently, you should pick one outside India..

Get a device that supports more USB ports.. 4 USB ports + SD card slot should be more than enough to connect media devices & gaming controller incase you decide to get one in future..
microware-mxq-pro-android-tv-box-original-imaehvgfhzvaqft7.jpeg

Last edited:
I
If gaming isn't a deal for you, then it is purely for streaming & media consumption.. Top of the line hardware specs isn't required for that.. Even a decent 2GB RAM & 16 GB ROM device with a quad core processor should do the job for you.. You can get one of those for 3K INR from flipkart, amazon.in (or) ebay.in..

I wouldn't suggest importing a top spec device, and you will anyways need to pay duty, which can largely vary.. Don't know how much duty is for android TV box.. If you travel frequently, you should pick one outside India..

I paid 1845 duty for mi Box.

i am using Mecool Kiii Pro, Got it on Aliexpress for Rs 8600.

Specifications

OS Andriod 7.1
CPU Amlogic S912 64 bit octa core ARM cortex A53 CPU upto 1.5 GHz
RAM 3 GB
Flash 16 Gb
Support HDR 10 and HLG HDR
VP9-10 Profile 2 upto 4KX2K@ 60fps
H.264 HEVC upto 4K X 2K @ 60fps
Max 4KX2K @60fps resulation
can Watch Youtube in 4K if you are having fast internet.

I have a Nvidia Shield. Very happy with it. Fast, fluid. Up to date OS and apps. Supports Kodi, Netflix, and Amazon Prime TV (the only Android TV box to do so).

Have tried some of the Android TV boxes from Gearbest / Ali Express. Not a happy experience. Slow as molasses. And no updates.

If you dont need Kodi, and are happy with Netfilx, the Amazon Fire TV stick is pretty good.

You can check for Himedia Q10 Pro, I would rate much reliable after nvidia shield and support all the audio video formats

@elangoas, Can you confirm if your android box passes through lossless audio formats to the receiver out of the box? If not then installing Kodi will enable this functionality?

I actually have an Amazon Fire TV Stick 2 which I want to use with my projector to stream movies. I am wondering if this stick can somehow be configured to pass through lossless audio formats from a hard disk? Is there any adapter which will allow an external HDD to be connected to the Fire TV Stick?

If this is not possible then I would have to go for a cheap android box which can pass through Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA from a HDD. Any confirmed box out there which can do this within 5k? Not looking at spending too much on a Shield.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back