Another what to buy thread 🤔

archat68

Dear FM,
I want your suggestions for a setup for music listening.

Bugget :60 K including a pair of bookshelf speakers and an amp. No sub.
Source: phone, LG G8x with Tidal, Spotify and Amazon music. I already have a Sonata E44 DAC which I intends to use if I buy a separate amp.
Room: small 12*12
Listening volume: medium
Music genre: everything except heavy metal, techno.
Requirement: clear punchy bass but not overwhelming. I'm a bit treble sensitive. Good vocals as I listen to lots of jazz.

Based on reviews I have shortlisted polk ES20 and QA 3030i.

I don't want to buy a avr as this will be overkill. A decent amp will do. Need suggestions for this.

I will be purchasing from Delhi, so please suggest places where I can audition them.
Thanks in advance.

Dear FM,

Source: phone, LG G8x with Tidal, Spotify and Amazon music. I already have a Sonata E44 DAC which I intends to use if I buy a separate amp.
Requirement: clear punchy bass but not overwhelming. I'm a bit treble sensitive. Good vocals as I listen to lots of jazz.

Based on reviews I have shortlisted polk ES20 and QA 3030i.

I don't want to buy a avr as this will be overkill. A decent amp will do. Need suggestions for this.

I will be purchasing from Delhi, so please suggest places where I can audition them.
Thanks in advance.
Warfdale bookshelfs you could consider. When you say treble sensitive do you mean you like a warmer presentation ?

Amp : entry level nad or cambridge.

Warfdale bookshelfs you could consider. When you say treble sensitive do you mean you like a warmer presentation ?

Amp : entry level nad or cambridge.
Thanks for the reply.
I'll look for the wharfedale. But I think Nad or CA amps will be beyond my budget of 20k if I keep 40k for speaker.

Dear FM,

on reviews I have shortlisted polk ES20 and QA 3030i.

Thanks in advance.
Add the Mission QX-2, PSB Alpha P5, Q Acoustics Concept 20, and KEF Q150 to the must audition list. While online prices are on the higher side for some of these speakers, the dealer prices are lower, sometimes by a substantial margin.

AVzone near Nehru Place/GK2 on the outer ring road houses Q Acoustics, KEF and Polk.

And if you're out there, do audition the Definitive Technology D9 or D11 (though it's out of the budget, simply for kicks). There's a good possibility you may discover that you're not treble sensitive in the slightest. Incredible top end extension but very refined and smooth, almost sugary sweet. It's a treat to listen to.

Hi
You may consider wharefedal diamond or q acoustic bookshelf speakers. You may think about Norge amp or marantz PM 6006 amp if you like warm sound signature.
Regards
Yes, norge amps will be with in his budget and he can go with some good pair of bookshelfs as you mention warefedal , q acoustic or even elac

Thank you all for your valuable inputs.
I'll definitely look into the suggestion.
I'm not looking into active speakers mainly due to ease of upgrade.
@DB1989 i don't want to listen to speakers beyond my budget because I'm a impulsive buyer, I know if I like it, I can't resist myself from buying it 😢. Happened many times before where my budget just gone up twice😁. So....

Thank you all for your valuable inputs.
I'll definitely look into the suggestion.
I'm not looking into active speakers mainly due to ease of upgrade.
@DB1989 i don't want to listen to speakers beyond my budget because I'm a impulsive buyer, I know if I like it, I can't resist myself from buying it 😢. Happened many times before where my budget just gone up twice😁. So....
That's exactly what happened to me with the Deftech D9s. I was picking out a speaker for a friend and was auditioning speakers for the heck of it. Enter the D9s, a couple of songs, and i was smitten! I might lose a friend but I'm keeping the D9s! 😅

So guys which are the speakers recommended here are easy to drive and don't need lakhs of Rs in terms of an Amp. I'm ready to spend 20k max for an Amp but would prefer to spend 10k for an amp like smsl da6 as suggested by @DB1989 and spend the saved money on speaker.

While browsing came across the QA M20hd. At 36k these looks really promising. Although I was not looking for powered speakers, these looks good. What are your thoughts guys?

While browsing came across the QA M20hd. At 36k these looks really promising. Although I was not looking for powered speakers, these looks good. What are your thoughts guys?
Great speakers if upradability is not a concern. You can add a subwoofer which greatly enhances it's width of abilities. If you're out to build a complete system - DAC+ Amp+Speaker, it's hard, nay impossible, to do better for the price.

But your tempotec sonata will be rendered useless as it goes through an AD/DA conversion even from analog sources since they are active speakers (as opposed to simply being powered).

Attachments

• 20220211_151326.jpg
    20220211_151326.jpg
    730.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20221028_234621.jpg
    20221028_234621.jpg
    801.9 KB · Views: 31
Great speakers if upradability is not a concern. You can add a subwoofer which greatly enhances it's width of abilities. If you're out to build a complete system - DAC+ Amp+Speaker, it's hard, nay impossible, to do better for the price.

But your tempotec sonata will be rendered useless as it goes through an AD/DA conversion even from analog sources since they are active speakers (as opposed to simply being powered).
Thanks for the photos. The Sonata I use for headphones. BTW since we are talking actives now, any other recommendations?

Thanks for the photos. The Sonata I use for headphones. BTW since we are talking actives now, any other recommendations?
Hivi D1090 is another great option.

However, it has a brighter and more direct sound than the M20HD which has a slightly smoother/rolled off top end. I like the lit presentation that the Hivi offers and at the same time, do find much to appreciate in the more subdued but nevertheless interesting enough top end of the M20HDs. Coming to its outright strength, the D1090 blows away the M20HD when it comes to sheer dynamics and bass quantity and depth. Mids are more or less comparable. And the Hivi can go much louder. I've measured it and in my room, it went all the way down to 38hz. Coincidentally, that's what they're rated at. In a smaller room than mine (which is 450sq. ft), the bass was monstrous. No subwoofer needed with these then. However, if you want to add a subwoofer later, you'll be out of luck as these don't have a sub out.

While the M20HD looks more suave and better built from a distance, closer inspection reveals they're both robustly built and the Hivis weigh nearly twice as much. Just a matter of aesthetics then.

Connectivity wise, the Hivi has coaxial over the M20HDs which hit back with USB. The Hivi has tone controls whereas the M20HD has three bass settings which surprisingly suffice for most situations. While both have Bluetooth, the M20HD has the better sounding implementation. Also the better remote. Take your pick!

Try Mica RB42. I am using using it in my bed room with 12x12 feet size. They are awesome sq speakers for 15000 INR. I use any of my car audio amp to drive it.
Checked out YT demos. These small fellows have some kickass bass. (How?). But I guess room placement is very important for such speakers. With right implementation these can surprise.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back