Any alternatives to Shure M97XE

shankyys

Hello!

I am using a Shure M97XE Cartridge along with my Technics SL1210 MK5 Turntable.

I am looking for some more options other than 97XE, as the existing cartridge is giving me problems. Can you all please share few cartridges which are compatible with this Model that would give me the ultimate listening pleasure?

Please help.

I have had a reasonably long association with Shure M44-7 which is very good cartridge. Trouble free too. Great for old records and hardly skips a groove. All this assuming you would like your music coloured and slightly flashy compared to the output of 97XE.

Regards.

Thanks Saket for your inputs.
I listen to mainly Hindi 70s & 80s and also English numbers from the same era.
I was quite happy with the output of 97XE as I used to find the bass & treble quite balanced there.
If you can please explain me what you mean by coloured and flashy?

The M44-7 is a cart which is highly versatile and sounds very good. From my experience, I have noticed that it is not a very sensitive cart, hence everything seems to play and sound very nice with it. As Saket mentioned, if you have a flair for coloured sound, then its the cart to have. They are also quite rugged and can take a beating being highly accommodative of a bouncy cantilever while playing warped or records with surface aberrations. If you have access to a few vintage Shure carts, they're worth trying. I've owned a few over the years and found the M70B to be one of those hidden gems with a very smooth and neutral sound. If you can get hold of the "V"s, they're quite good to.

AT 440 MLB ,Nagaoka 110.

AT 440 MLB Very good high frequency.The stylus reach very deep in the groove.Able to listen more sound information than from shure M97Xe.
Nagaoka 110 is very balance.
If you own these two ,you will constantly change from nagaoka to At and back to Nagaoka.
Your old Shure M97Xe with a Jico stylus from Japan is also a fine choice.
This Japanese company makes stylus for almost all cartridges..

Me too, I recently changed to nagaoka mp 110 and it sounds better especially the bollywood ones with vocal

i have shure M44-7, M97Xe, AT95e and nagaoka 110 and impressions are as follows:

AT95e - very lazy & misses lots of details,
M97xe - again not detailed sound, not as per my liking, stopped working after few months and returned for refund,
M44-7 - my fev one, sound sparkling good on all type of tracks, always gets attention when lots of people around and know nothing about vinyl,
Nagaoka 110 - and its for critical listening blue moon sessions with glass of wine and nobody around.

I am thankful to all of u for sharing your valuable inputs.I think as of now I would go for a M44-7 because Nagaoka 110 would be off my budget it seems.Maybe after some time I can go for this.
Just want to know hope both these above cartridges are compatible with my Technics SL1210 MK5 Turntable?

Denon DL-301 MKII, I am using for last one year and never will change to any other, very hifi sound and also great on vocals.

I second this.
I have tried the OM20, M44-7, 103R and now the 301MK2. The best cart, so far, in my opinion, has been the 301.

in case you haven't yet decided, I'd recommend the Sumiko Pearl MM cart. It is a very revealing cart, strikes a good balance between 'warm' and 'bright'!

As per my experience, My vote is to Nagaoka110, it's musical compared to it's competitors M447 and AT95, I never used Shure M97XE.
Now I landed in 2M Blue which is very good detailed, rich bass though little brighter and exceptional sound stage, Now I'm planning to move to Denon DL-110 (with Acrylic plotter).

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back