Any "Audio-Only" receivers available??

Teja

Was looking at the A/V receivers and realized that I probably won't be needing or using the video switching or HDMI pass-thru features for my home theater setup. So, are there any "audio-only" receivers on the market? Any particular make or model recommended for a home theater setup?

Thanks
Teja

sure. you can get amplifiers with upto 7 channels. or you could buy a number of monoblocks. or some stereo integrated+monoblocks.

Teja:

This confusion seems to be there in a lot of people's minds.

When you say audio only, why are you looking for an more than two channels? Pure audio is 2 channel and for this you can use a integrated amplifier or a stereo receiver?

Please elaborate so that I can try to clear this issue.

Cheers

Most of the Audio only set up is 2 channel stereo. But 2.1 ( L, R and Subwoofer) is also quite popular and might be more appropriate with some genres of music.

Having a 3.1 sort of set up that is L, C, R + Subwoofer is not a bad idean either.

Chk my receiver Onkyo TX 8511
It is 2 channel receiver with basic video - (composite video ) swicher.
It is for sale ( in mumbai) you can check following link
http://www.hifivision.com/sale/1874-want-sell-onkyo-stereo-receiver-tx-8511-a.html

Administrator - I am not pushing my product ( anyway I will be selling in mumbai only) but I think it fits the bill. Onkyo introduced a similar model now TX 8522 .

Just Check-

Hemant

I guess Teja needs a surround sound amp (processor + power amp) without any kind of video capabilities

You can go for a separate surround sound processor and pair it with a 5 channel or 7 channel amp, but it will turn out to be quiet costly

Last edited:
This confusion seems to be there in a lot of people's minds.

When you say audio only, why are you looking for an more than two channels? Pure audio is 2 channel and for this you can use a integrated amplifier or a stereo receiver?

Sorry for not being clear - I meant a receiver that only does processing of movie audio (DD, DTS - 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 etc). I am aware of stereo amps available for music connoisseurs, but didn't know that you could get 5.1 and 7.1 amps also.

I ask this because... since my TV has several inputs, I can dedicate each input to a particular source (HTPC, DVD, Game Console etc) and calibrate each input separately specific to the source. If I ran all video through the video switch on the AV receiver, then calibration across different sources becomes an issue. (Please correct me if I am wrong here). On the flip side, I could probably get a AV receiver that could upscale all sources to 1080p - but that is not something I am looking for. So if I am not going to use the video switcher on the receiver, then I thought I could get a receiver that processes only the audio stream and possibly save some money also.

I hope I am making sense. Basically every source to my home theater gets split into audio & video. Video goes directly to the LCD and audio goes to the receiver for processing. That is why I said "audio-only" receiver. I didn't realize it could get confused with stereo receivers.

Cheers

I guess Teja needs a surround sound amp (processor + power amp) without any kind of video capabilities

You can go for a separate surround sound processor and pair it with a 5 channel or 7 channel amp, but it will turn out to be quiet costly

Yep, that is what I meant. I was hoping it would be cheaper option than getting an AV receiver. The idea was to save money and put it into better speakers or sub.

Anyway, its back to Denon vs Onkyo vs Yamaha vs Marantz vs <insert your fav here>.

Thanks.

Anyway, its back to Denon vs Onkyo vs Yamaha vs Marantz vs <insert your fav here>.

Not necessarily. There are few Indian companies that make 5 or 6 channel pre/power combination.

One is Pace Electronics in Mumbai that makes a 6 channel amplifier. This has a power output of 30 watts per channel, but I suppose that can be increased on special order. I don't not have any idea about the quality of its output.

The other is Craftel by Audiocraft in Chennai. I have heard their 5.1 receiver that does not do any video processing. All display connections have to go directly to the TV. It's audio processing is also limited to Dolby Digital, DTS and a few simple variations. This generates 100 watts per channel and has a LFE out for sub woofer. The sound is decent and clear.

These units will cost you somewhere around 20K or even less.

Cheers

Was looking at the A/V receivers and realized that I probably won't be needing or using the video switching or HDMI pass-thru features for my home theater setup. So, are there any "audio-only" receivers on the market? Any particular make or model recommended for a home theater setup?

Thanks
Teja

Teja,

Most of the entry level AVRs will be without HDMI. You can check out theOnkyo HT3100 & HT3105 to begin with.

Sonodyne have the kind of products you are looking for.
A multi channel audio processor(MP606) and a 6 channel power amp(MPA 6150)

Try to contact them for more details about the audio processor and the pricing. Maybe it can turn out to be just what you were looking for

Sonodyne have the kind of products you are looking for.
A multi channel audio processor(MP606) and a 6 channel power amp(MPA 6150)

Try to contact them for more details about the audio processor and the pricing. Maybe it can turn out to be just what you were looking for

Thanks, I will check them out.

Rikhav,
Any reviews on these Sonodyne products, sound quality and price wise?

Rikhav,
Any reviews on these Sonodyne products, sound quality and price wise?

Never checked out Sonodyne products, but as such Sonodyne has a good name in India and would be good in performance in its price segment

I agree but I had the feeling the Sonodyne 6-channel amp and processor were priced for the higher end of the market. That's why I wondered if AV Max or some magazine had a review, just to give me an overview of whether it's worth auditioning.

I agree but I had the feeling the Sonodyne 6-channel amp and processor were priced for the higher end of the market. That's why I wondered if AV Max or some magazine had a review, just to give me an overview of whether it's worth auditioning.

You can call them or write a mail asking for the prices and then if the prices are within your budget you can go for an audition

Hi, How much for seperate Video processor?

I'm just going to post this here and hope that I get some helpful replies. I just purchased a MartinLogan MLT-2 Home Theater System and am planning to hook it up to my computer's sound card. It's the SoundBlaster Z from Creative which is plenty capable of providing 5.1 surround sound. It has three analogue ports on the I/O that represent Front L/R, Rear L/R, and Center/Subwoofer. The issue I seem to be running into is the topic of 'powered speakers'. First off, I'm not sure what exactly that means, but I have a slight understanding. From what I can tell, my sound card should be acting as the amplifier in this situation and should be able to split the sound since it already has the three ports for the three ranges of sound being sent to the three groups of speakers, so I shouldn't need any type of receiver, correct? If so, I just need some guidance on how to wire all of this up so I can avoid purchasing a costly receiver (since ones that deal with only audio and not audio and video are rather hard to find).

Just for reference, each of the front and rear speakers, as well as the center speaker, have the positive and negative hookups, and the subwoofer has one red and one white 1/8" plug-in that are labeled '(LFE-in) Left in' and 'Right in' respectively.
How do I take those hookups, and connect it all to my sound card's three analogue ports?

I'm just going to post this here and hope that I get some helpful replies. I just purchased a MartinLogan MLT-2 Home Theater System and am planning to hook it up to my computer's sound card. It's the SoundBlaster Z from Creative which is plenty capable of providing 5.1 surround sound. It has three analogue ports on the I/O that represent Front L/R, Rear L/R, and Center/Subwoofer. The issue I seem to be running into is the topic of 'powered speakers'. First off, I'm not sure what exactly that means, but I have a slight understanding. From what I can tell, my sound card should be acting as the amplifier in this situation and should be able to split the sound since it already has the three ports for the three ranges of sound being sent to the three groups of speakers, so I shouldn't need any type of receiver, correct? If so, I just need some guidance on how to wire all of this up so I can avoid purchasing a costly receiver (since ones that deal with only audio and not audio and video are rather hard to find).

Just for reference, each of the front and rear speakers, as well as the center speaker, have the positive and negative hookups, and the subwoofer has one red and one white 1/8" plug-in that are labeled '(LFE-in) Left in' and 'Right in' respectively.
How do I take those hookups, and connect it all to my sound card's three analogue ports?

You cannot connect your HT system to your sound card may be except the subwoofer. Other satellite speakers are passive, which means you need an amplifier to drive them. The sound card only decodes the audio and gives line level output. If you are not sure what it is, just think of the soundcard as a tiny amp which has power enough to drive just your earphones. If you really wish to avoid a receiver, then you can buy multi channel power amplifier. But it is even more expensive and it would be an overkill for the said speakers. Best you can do is to get a cheap receiver like Yamaha 473 or Denon 1613. Powered speakers means speakers with built-in amplifier. Your subwoofer (only) is a powered speaker.

The best way is to use Logitech Z-5500 (5.1 system).
It has a Control Pod having optical. co-axial and all analog inputs as required.
i.e. the control pod itself is "Audio Only receiver".

Its subwoofer is very powerfull with 10" cone, giving thundering sound.
The settelite speakers are THX certified. So you do not need to invest seperately for speakers.

You can use a different sound card type, which will have optical or co-axial out puts. This will enable you to use a single cable instead of 3 cables.
I am using this set up for last 3 years with excellent results.
I am not sure if Z-5500 is still available in the market. But if it is discontinued then Logitech must have replaced it with similar model.
I had purchased the system for Rs.18000/- some 3 years back.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back