Any experience using The Silent Angel Rhein Z1 server-streamer?

Analogous

Hi I recently heard of this device from a friend. What Hifi has a review as also a few others. I was wondering if an FM has used this? Grateful for some feedback and thoughts.

Found this glowing review online

Found this glowing review online
A glowing review indeed. Looks perfect for a roon setup if your goodselves use one.
Below is the online pricing in india :

I Bought Silent Angel Munich M1T Streamer Transport, was quite sceptical because of new not so common brand.
The Streamer is way too good for the price, sounds quite good, though not comparable to Lumin U2 mini but way better than new bluenode etc. Btw Eversolo DMP A6 seems to be very popular and flavor of the season among Indian audiophile groups. Since my Lumin is back, I'll be selling the Silent Angel Streamer soon.

I really wonder why streamers cost so much
There are several stand Alone streamers and Streamer- DACs that cater to a variety of budgets. Some are great VFM too. But I am looking for a
network server and streamer which is simple and easy to use with my sizeable digital audio collection.
I have a nice DAC.

I realised there are not too many. Many audiophiles seem to be using their PCs, Mac mini, NUCs or RasPi based computers with third er party software which they are happy with and cost far less. Good ones are engineered to reduce the notoriously bad noisy USB output.

Computer servers designed solely for audio seem to have limited demand. Innuos, Aurender, and Silent angel are three that I know which have such servers. There may be more…such niche products with customised software are priced high till the demand and subsequently competition picks up?

I love watching my audio buddies giving TLC with their LPs and CDPs and definitely enjoy the special flavor of music from vinyl. But I love the freedom of quickly browsing and discovering new music all the time. A server- streamer seems to offer the freedom of exploring my stored collection as well as the humongous choices ava with streaming services.

Last edited:
I have been looking around for a network server which is simple and easy to use with my sizeable digital audio collection. I have a nice DAC. I realised there are not too many. Many seem to be using their PCs, Mac mini, NUCs or RasPi based computers with third party software which they are happy with and cost far less.

Computer servers designed solely for audio seem to have limited demand. Innuos, Aurender, and Silent angel are three that I know which have such servers. There may be more…such niche products with customised software are priced high till the demand and subsequently competition picks up?
Actually there are a ton more servers out there. With new ones added daily for good measure :D

It almost looks like a cottage industry, with everyone and their uncle having a go at building one 🤣

wadax
anitpodes
pink faun
total dac
lumin
aurender
innuos
silent angel
auralic
eddiescreation
small green computer
roon nucleus and plus

and lots more that i cant recollect now.

Actually there are a ton more servers out there. With new ones added daily for good measure :D

It almost looks like a cottage industry, with everyone and their uncle having a go at building one 🤣

wadax
anitpodes
pink faun
total dac
lumin
aurender
innuos
silent angel
auralic
eddiescreation
small green computer
roon nucleus and plus

and lots more that i cant recollect now.
Ooooo! Thank you. Lots of research to do.
Please share any thoughts, opinions and observations on any models you might have heard.

Look at a used Auralic Aries Mini. I don’t think they make them anymore. Before buying just make sure it’s supported by the company. Get it with its own LPS. Should be like 400-500 USD. Gets the job done.

I really wonder why streamers cost so much
I Used to Wonder like that, tried almost every fork of DIY with Raspberry pi and bridges including Ustars R19 and Pi2aes board... Macmini, Nuc Android boxes, iPhone 12, OnePlus one All Have been Tried for Streaming Purposes.

Once I Heard Lumin, Aurender, Auralic or Silent Angel for that matter, there's no Going back to DIY or PC for Streaming Purposes. The Music is just Live and Coherent, you feel like listening to more and more. Don't get me wrong, cheaper options get details nearly as good ; but the overall presentation, emphasis or feel is totally different from a Dedicated Streamer. Getting a Good Streamer Source is most essential in complete digital playback systems.

Then there are device less internet services like this.
I havent tried Ampache, so cant comment on its usability. But when it comes to streamers, the app and user experience is as important as the sound quality. I had tried volumio before on a Rpi gen 3, and its search and indexing times were too long in the tooth. So moved to roon, but felt it was a overkill in box count and expense for the small local library I had. So junked that too.

Subsequently, I was using bluetooth from a BlueMe HD receiver powered by a cheap 5V chinese LPSU to feed optical into the dac. My tab had LDAC codec which the BlueMe supported, so I was very happy with this for quite a while. Then i bought a used Cambridge audio 851N streamer from our forum, which sounded very good too. So stopped using the BlueMe HD.

Finally, I recently bought a Lumin transport, just to see what the hoopla was all about :D . And feel its been a good upgrade over the Azur 851N, but at multiple times the cost. The Lumin app is very basic at best, but is robust and gets the job done.

I also had a bluesound powernode in the very past, and loved the app. It is still the best app around. And there are 3rd party power mod kits available for the latest gen bluesound node if you go down that path. The app is lovely and a breeze to use. I also have a yamaha WXC-50 in the closet which is a swiss army knife kind of thing and I found the musicast app stable too.

So lots of options, but as @prem suggested both the auralic aries mini and bluesound node get the job done without much faff. Though there are better sounding ones out there, depending on how much one is willing to spend.

If you can share more about your streaming needs, like library size for local files, do you use online streaming tidal / spotify/qobuz , do you use roon etc... then it can help narrow down the choices :)

Look at a used Auralic Aries Mini. I don’t think they make them anymore. Before buying just make sure it’s supported by the company. Get it with its own LPS. Should be like 400-500 USD. Gets the job done.
Wondering if it will be a upgrade from the Blusound Node2i I am currently using…
The server function to access my stored music is another feature that seems to be missing.

I havent tried Ampache, so cant comment on its usability. But when it comes to streamers, the app and user experience is as important as the sound quality. I had tried volumio before on a Rpi gen 3, and its search and indexing times were too long in the tooth. So moved to roon, but felt it was a overkill in box count and expense for the small local library I had. So junked that too.

Subsequently, I was using bluetooth from a BlueMe HD receiver powered by a cheap 5V chinese LPSU to feed optical into the dac. My tab had LDAC codec which the BlueMe supported, so I was very happy with this for quite a while. Then i bought a used Cambridge audio 851N streamer from our forum, which sounded very good too. So stopped using the BlueMe HD.

Finally, I recently bought a Lumin transport, just to see what the hoopla was all about :D . And feel its been a good upgrade over the Azur 851N, but at multiple times the cost. The Lumin app is very basic at best, but is robust and gets the job done.

I also had a bluesound powernode in the very past, and loved the app. It is still the best app around. And there are 3rd party power mod kits available for the latest gen bluesound node if you go down that path. The app is lovely and a breeze to use. I also have a yamaha WXC-50 in the closet which is a swiss army knife kind of thing and I found the musicast app stable too.

So lots of options, but as @prem suggested both the auralic aries mini and bluesound node get the job done without much faff. Though there are better sounding ones out there, depending on how much one is willing to spend.

If you can share more about your streaming needs, like library size for local files, do you use online streaming tidal / spotify/qobuz , do you use roon etc... then it can help narrow down the choices :)
Thanks for sharing your experience.
I currently have the blue sound node 2i. The UI as you have mentioned is very nice.
My locally stored music library is @ 2TB. Easy file browsing is a must.
i stream Qobuz and Spot. But not Roon.
I am looking for a Streamer and Server in one box (with a optical or USB out)

Wondering if it will be a upgrade from the Blusound Node2i I am currently using…
The server function to access my stored music is another feature that seems to be missing.
Several years back, I had heard both. I had preferred the SQ of Auralic Mini. It was more open sounding. Bluesound was a bit mushy in comparison, trying to make it sound sweeter.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I currently have the blue sound node 2i. The UI as you have mentioned is very nice.
My locally stored music library is @ 2TB. Easy file browsing is a must.
i stream Qobuz and Spot. But not Roon.
I am looking for a Streamer and Server in one box (with a optical or USB out)
Hi and good morning again :)

For streamer cum server with on-board storage below are the available options : ( Ive seen crazy prices in india, so if any models have in-built option to switch voltage from 110V to 220V, I will mention that too )

1. Auralic Aries G1, G1.1, G2.0 or G2.1 - Auralic has the most neutral sounding servers. On-board storage can be added with SSD depending on which generation of product we choose. Roon not required as it has its own app. ( Voltage not changable from 110 to 220 V )
2. Innous Zen mini, Zen or Zenith - Has a rich and lush sound. Comes with in-built CD ripper and on board storage. Comes with own app. The latest gen is mk3. But products from Gen2 onwards can be considered. ( Voltage changable from 110 to 220 V )
3. Aurender - Slightly warmish sound - Has a great app - conductor. Roon wont work with this. Comes with on-board storage. Supposed to really good. Some models come with built-in ripper. ( Voltage changable from 110 to 220 V)
4. Lumin - Lumin u1 mini or u2 mini - But dont have inbuilt storage - Will have to add a NAS. Iam too dumb at computers, so I use a WD Mycloud 4 TB drive which works as my NAS, plugged into my router. If you want even lesser faff, you can consider adding their L1 NAS. which is very very simple to use. ( u1 mini and u2 mini come with SMPS that is universal voltage compliant ). But the higher up models are fixed voltage and non changable )
5. Melco - Has on-board storage, but no inbuilt CD ripping functionality. Has the best library back-up management among all above servers. A lot of variety in their range. Their current entry level N1A is multi voltage compliant. Works with thrid party apps like M-connect etc.
6. Silent angel servers - Munich / Rhein etc - They are mainly geared as roon servers i think. But i could be completely wrong. They seem to come with their own. So will have to research further on this.

Have to rush to work....will continue once i return back :)

Silent angel servers - Munich / Rhein etc - They are mainly geared as roon servers
Munich M1T is Not as Roon Server but as Endpoint Mainly, Zhein Can Perform as Roon Server.

The VitoS on Silent Angel Streamer is quite Capable for Managing Library and Streaming Services, much Similar to Lumin or Aurender interface. You can attach Powered HDD to one of its 3 usb ports without any problems. Its quite faster interface, gets job done quite efficiently, hopefully that helps.

Configuring a Roon Server, by Nuc works cheaper even after lifetime subscription, and (barring Aurender) you can use many Streamers as Roon Endpoint in efficient multiroom solution.

Hi and good morning again :)

For streamer cum server with on-board storage below are the available options : ( Ive seen crazy prices in india, so if any models have in-built option to switch voltage from 110V to 220V, I will mention that too )

1. Auralic Aries G1, G1.1, G2.0 or G2.1 - Auralic has the most neutral sounding servers. On-board storage can be added with SSD depending on which generation of product we choose. Roon not required as it has its own app. ( Voltage not changable from 110 to 220 V )
2. Innous Zen mini, Zen or Zenith - Has a rich and lush sound. Comes with in-built CD ripper and on board storage. Comes with own app. The latest gen is mk3. But products from Gen2 onwards can be considered. ( Voltage changable from 110 to 220 V )
3. Aurender - Slightly warmish sound - Has a great app - conductor. Roon wont work with this. Comes with on-board storage. Supposed to really good. Some models come with built-in ripper. ( Voltage changable from 110 to 220 V)
4. Lumin - Lumin u1 mini or u2 mini - But dont have inbuilt storage - Will have to add a NAS. Iam too dumb at computers, so I use a WD Mycloud 4 TB drive which works as my NAS, plugged into my router. If you want even lesser faff, you can consider adding their L1 NAS. which is very very simple to use. ( u1 mini and u2 mini come with SMPS that is universal voltage compliant ). But the higher up models are fixed voltage and non changable )
5. Melco - Has on-board storage, but no inbuilt CD ripping functionality. Has the best library back-up management among all above servers. A lot of variety in their range. Their current entry level N1A is multi voltage compliant. Works with thrid party apps like M-connect etc.
6. Silent angel servers - Munich / Rhein etc - They are mainly geared as roon servers i think. But i could be completely wrong. They seem to come with their own. So will have to research further on this.

Have to rush to work....will continue once i return back :)
Thank you @Yelamanchili manohar . This is a super helpful comparison. Thank you for taking the trouble to note these down. I am sure others on a simile quest will appreciate this nice comparative summary as well.

Munich M1T is Not as Roon Server but as Endpoint Mainly, Zhein Can Perform as Roon Server.

The VitoS on Silent Angel Streamer is quite Capable for Managing Library and Streaming Services, much Similar to Lumin or Aurender interface. You can attach Powered HDD to one of its 3 usb ports without any problems. Its quite faster interface, gets job done quite efficiently, hopefully that helps.

Configuring a Roon Server, by Nuc works cheaper even after lifetime subscription, and (barring Aurender) you can use many Streamers as Roon Endpoint in efficient multiroom solution.
Thank you

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back